Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Slide Lock Reload

rmj339

#2 is fastest if you don't have to screw with your grip to reach the lever

#3 is fastest if you have to screw with your grip to reach the lever

#1 sucks forget about it

This. I have to use my weak hand thumb to drop the slide on my Stock 2, which sucks, but is not really a big deal.

But #2 is the fastest because as you can see, it adds an imperceptible amount of time to the actual reload. #3 adds a perceptible, but inconsequential amount of time to the reload. And yeah, #1 sucks, forget about it, unless you're a lefty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On47qnk5YeA

My gun must be broke, when I do mess up and go to slide lock as soon as i slam in another mag it goes into battery all by itself :-)

Same here ? ? ? ? ? ?

5-6 years of shooting competition, don't think I ever used 1,2, or 3

Some do it some don't

I had an M&P9 that would drop the slide every time if you slapped the mag in, and an M&P9c and G17 that would not do it no matter how hard you hit them.

My P-07 won't and my 75 will.

I release the slide lock with my strong thumb as I rotate the gun around after the reload and the support hand is returning to position.

Yep. The gun is in battery and ready to fire by the time my support hand returns to normal grip.

#2 is fastest if you don't have to screw with your grip to reach the lever

#3 is fastest if you have to screw with your grip to reach the lever

#1 sucks forget about it

This. I have to use my weak hand thumb to drop the slide on my Stock 2, which sucks, but is not really a big deal.

But #2 is the fastest because as you can see, it adds an imperceptible amount of time to the actual reload. #3 adds a perceptible, but inconsequential amount of time to the reload. And yeah, #1 sucks, forget about it, unless you're a lefty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On47qnk5YeA

What equipment were you using to time it and at what marks did you start and stop???

For me if I use my weak hand thumb I have to do something "abnormal' when rebuilding my grip, namely put my thumb in a position past where it would normally go which means not only is my strong hand thumb waiting for my weak hand thumb to get out of the way but now I have to move my weak hand thumb back to its normal position to complete building my grip.

With my current technique my strong hand thumb is releasing the slide lock as my weak hand grip is being completed so all that is left after the release is to lay the thumb down on top of the weak hand thumb ... Not that I exactly practice this since performing a slide lock reload means I've already had a major screwup on the stage ....

Which is faster or the most used I guess.

1. Grabbing slide with off hand

2. strong hand slide release

3. weak hand slide release.

Thanks

For most pistols, the strong hand slide release will be the fastest. That being said, if using a 1911 style pistol, weak hand slide release would be the most efficient. Grabbing the slide with the off hand is the slowest, but works with almost every autoloading pistol.

I prefer option 2 becuase it is the fastest for the type of pistols I shoot (Glock or Sig).

Option #1...lefty. Although there is another technique for lefties but I haven't really practiced it much. Basically as you reload (with the right hand) and seat the mag, reach up with your middle finger and release the slide lock before moving to your usual grip. I could see how it would be faster once you've mastered it, however I have not and it is somewhat awkward thus far.

i have smaller hands, so a lot of the time after magazine is stuffed in, (if the slide does not come forward on it's own, which it will on mine)

I'll go weak hand. Strong hand I would have to sometimes turn the gun in my hand a little which would take me that much longer to get on target.