Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

I recently added a .40 Pro Match to my current RIA stable.  I've had a single stack .45 for a couple years and use it when I shoot heavy metal class in 3 gun.  It had some teething pains when it was new, but has been very good since then.  About a year ago, I added a Tac Ultra HC in 9mm and immediately sent it to Hayes Custom Guns for the full treatment.  I've been shooting it since February in 3 gun and using it for limited minor in USPSA, including Area 1 and the Iron Sight Nationals this year.  The gun has been practically flawless using MBX mags and the factory mag that Hayes modified/tuned with a Dawson extension and Arredondo insert.  I bought 2 Mec-Gar mags and did my best to duplicate what Hayes did and now I can't tell the 3 apart and all run perfectly.  I usually use those 3 if they are going to get dropped in something nasty, or if I stoop to shooting a local IDPA match, as they will still lock the slide when empty.  I bought the .40 about a month ago off the classified section here.  It was advertised as having upgraded internals and a trigger job, and came with 5 factory/Mec-Gar mags with Dawson extensions and Arredondo springs and followers, but not the purple inserts.  I learned the hard way on the 9mm mags that without the inserts, you have a salt shaker if you load past the original capacity, so I ordered 5 more inserts immediately.  I shot my first semi-major match with the .40 this weekend at the Dixie Cup match in St. George, Utah.  The gun ran absolutely perfect and for some reason that I can't figure out, I shoot it better than the 9. 

Anyway, I'm definitely an RIA fan at this point, and if I can provide any input to the group on the guns and/or mags I'm using, I'd be happy to help.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently added a .40 Pro Match to my current RIA stable.  I've had a single stack .45 for a couple years and use it when I shoot heavy metal class in 3 gun.  It had some teething pains when it was new, but has been very good since then.  About a year ago, I added a Tac Ultra HC in 9mm and immediately sent it to Hayes Custom Guns for the full treatment.  I've been shooting it since February in 3 gun and using it for limited minor in USPSA, including Area 1 and the Iron Sight Nationals this year.  The gun has been practically flawless using MBX mags and the factory mag that Hayes modified/tuned with a Dawson extension and Arredondo insert.  I bought 2 Mec-Gar mags and did my best to duplicate what Hayes did and now I can't tell the 3 apart and all run perfectly.  I usually use those 3 if they are going to get dropped in something nasty, or if I stoop to shooting a local IDPA match, as they will still lock the slide when empty.  I bought the .40 about a month ago off the classified section here.  It was advertised as having upgraded internals and a trigger job, and came with 5 factory/Mec-Gar mags with Dawson extensions and Arredondo springs and followers, but not the purple inserts.  I learned the hard way on the 9mm mags that without the inserts, you have a salt shaker if you load past the original capacity, so I ordered 5 more inserts immediately.  I shot my first semi-major match with the .40 this weekend at the Dixie Cup match in St. George, Utah.  The gun ran absolutely perfect and for some reason that I can't figure out, I shoot it better than the 9. 

Anyway, I'm definitely an RIA fan at this point, and if I can provide any input to the group on the guns and/or mags I'm using, I'd be happy to help.
Where did you find the Mec-Had mags? I've been looking everywhere. I bought 3 STI mags to tinker with but it looks like that will be a chore.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Where did you find the Mec-Had mags? I've been looking everywhere. I bought 3 STI mags to tinker with but it looks like that will be a chore.

For the 9mm I'm guessing? My LGS ordered them from one of his suppliers back in the spring. It took a while for them to be in stock anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the 9mm I'm guessing? My LGS ordered them from one of his suppliers back in the spring. It took a while for them to be in stock anywhere.

No, unfortunately I'm looking for 40's. Everyone was touting the Gregcote site when I bought the gun. Now they aren't in stock.

No, unfortunately I'm looking for 40's. Everyone was touting the Gregcote site when I bought the gun. Now they aren't in stock.

Last time I was on the Dawson website they had some.

Aw crap. No big deal. I should be able to return it and get the STI version

I bought the Dawson STI posilock mag release for my RIA Pro Match Ultra 40 HC and it wouldn't fit in the frame at all. Returned it for the GunCraft mag release which fit in the frame perfectly. It did take a little fitting to stop the mags from rubbing on it so they'd drop free when empty.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
Oem for the 51679 

The P18 Para mags are identical to oem if that helps any. My local gun shop was able to order them from a supplier, Ellett Bros. I think.

Identical as in they would host the TF plates with no issue? The only ones i see for sale have a metal floorplate that isnt removable.

I will look at mine tonight after work and let you know.

Identical as in they would host the TF plates with no issue? The only ones i see for sale have a metal floorplate that isnt removable.
I have my factory mag from my 51679 9mm that I'd sell. I don't use it anyways, think it has about 5 rounds through it

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/rock-island-armory-armscor-9mm-luger-22-tcm-17-round-magazine-full-size-mid-size-models-blued-steel-m9mma2mecgarb-4806015541806.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=fn&ecList=7&ecCategory=431454

These should be the factory ones you're looking for

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Why not just get MBX for the RIA Pro 40??? I have been using them in mine for awhile now, no problems, no using the mag tuning kit. Before these, I used standard STI 40 mags, but had to beat them into submission, but they worked.