Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, AdamD87 said:

Does anybody have a solution to reduce the take up on the trigger pull? I have not seen any aftermarket trigger bows available that are able to do that

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Check with Hayes Custom Gun on Facebook. They do some good work with these pistols

13 hours ago, AdamD87 said:

Does anybody have a solution to reduce the take up on the trigger pull? I have not seen any aftermarket trigger bows available that are able to do that

To reduce the pre-travel on my RIA Pro Match Ultra 40 HC, I cut two small tabs in the front of the factory trigger bow with a Dremel+cut-off wheel and then bent the tabs to my liking.

I bought a new-old-stock Para trigger in case something went wrong, but it's still sitting in its packaging as a spare. :) 

I've also heard of folks drilling small holes in the trigger bow to anchor a compound like JB Weld in order to build up the front of the trigger bow and then filing the material down.  The cut & bend approach worked for me, so I haven't tried this.

To reduce the pre-travel on my RIA Pro Match Ultra 40 HC, I cut two small tabs in the front of the factory trigger bow with a Dremel+cut-off wheel and then bent the tabs to my liking.

I bought a new-old-stock Para trigger in case something went wrong, but it's still sitting in its packaging as a spare. [emoji4] 

I've also heard of folks drilling small holes in the trigger bow to anchor a compound like JB Weld in order to build up the front of the trigger bow and then filing the material down.  The cut & bend approach worked for me, so I haven't tried this.
I considered getting a spare and adding a strip of metal to the rear and having a friend tig weld a strap of metal to the rear. I might just t ry cutting tabs like you suggested. Thanks for the info. [emoji2]

1 minute ago, AdamD87 said:

I considered getting a spare and adding a strip of metal to the rear and having a friend tig weld a strap of metal to the rear. I might just t ry cutting tabs like you suggested. Thanks for the info. emoji2.png

I hadn't considered doing anything to the rear, so thanks for that perspective! :surprise:

My hands are small and the rear of the trigger bow was rubbing against my magazines at times, preventing them from dropping as free as I'd like.  Moving the trigger bow backwards helps to address both of these issues for me, so I naturally arrived at cutting the tabs and hadn't considered anything else.

[emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] Your a couple weeks to late. I couldn't find those magwells and bought a TF and had it fitted a local shop for an additional 125$$

[emoji35] [emoji35] [emoji35] Your a couple weeks to late. I couldn't find those magwells and bought a TF and had it fitted a local shop for an additional 125$$

That looks way better IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ya despite the few extra bucks I'm not to bummed. Fits not perfect but its not bad. Hopefully I'll get some dry practice with it tonight and range time tomorrow. Should be fun

• 2 weeks later...

I got a RIA pro match, i dont like the big front sight, I was wondering which dawson precision front sight I could use to replace it(that fit the slide notch). Does any 2011 front/s would work?

also, are there different grips that I could switch to?

what bigger safety  could I use? 

Thx

10 hours ago, MP9 said:

I got a RIA pro match, i dont like the big front sight, I was wondering which dawson precision front sight I could use to replace it(that fit the slide notch). Does any 2011 front/s would work?

Thx

I know the rear sight cut is a proprietary one but don’t know about the front ( guessing so)   I have not found a source for grip replacement ,YET   LOL

Thx

Dawson precision sells sights. Hogue grips sells some and there are different g10 grips available from stoner cnc.

Dawson has the sights you are looking for. My preference was for a .165 sight on my RIA’s. I purchased the .180 and had to adjust the rear sight too high. The Sights RIA uses is the LPA Sights (brand) not to be confused with the LPA style cut. A quick google search will bring you to their website.

On 3/12/2018 at 5:25 PM, soulbyte said:

Dawson has the sights you are looking for. My preference was for a .165 sight on my RIA’s. I purchased the .180 and had to adjust the rear sight too high. The Sights RIA uses is the LPA Sights (brand) not to be confused with the LPA style cut. A quick google search will bring you to their website.

Thanks. Would you mind to let me know the exact model you got for the RIA hi cap? I got one that is .180 but not sure if I will have to adjust the rear too high.

I see a lot of sights listed on DP but not sure which one will work.

A friend gave me one? it is the 020-180-00 ,  not sure if it will work.

Thanks. Would you mind to let me know the exact model you got for the RIA hi cap? I got one that is .180 but not sure if I will have to adjust the rear too high.

I see a lot of sights listed on DP but not sure which one will work.

A friend gave me one? it is the 020-180-00 ,  not sure if it will work.

020-276

.160 tall x.100 wide partridge is what I got. I also got the .90 width and noticed that my eyes could acquire the target faster.

For me the .180 tall sits way too high. With the .160 my rear sight is four-six clicks over full bottom out. .180 took 10-12 clicks from bottom. It’s all personal preferences though.

Good thing about Dawson, you can return the sight if you want it taller or shorter.

Bellow is the .180. The sight sits high. The .160 sits flush, I would take a picture but the gun is out at the smith.

Hope this helps.

7302e55541e8683d4906f7ddca7da98a.jpg