Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

Bought 6 RP9 mags to replace my tuned (for 9mm) para 38 super Canadian mags. The RP9 mags are slightly longer than the factory Para mags and so far work great with my P18.9. With the factory spring and follower I can fit 22 rounds of 9mm (21 reloadable), same as the 38super mags/dawson pad setup.

For my RIA Tactical in 40 I ended up buying a set of 6 Mecgar mags from the gun show only to find out they were too short to use with Dawson pads. I then bought another 6 of the RIA mags with the metal triangular shaped base pads and came to find out when test fitting the Dawson pads, they are just Mecgar mags with RIA's base pads on them. Note: You can get the Mecgar mags to work by buying the factory +2 Para base pads off ebay and shaving down the pads to fit into the RIA magwell. By doing this I was able to get 18+1.

Then I bought 6 of the Greg Cote 40 mags. Those were somewhat longer than the Mecgar mags and allowed me to use the Dawson pads with the factory Magwell. I then upgraded to the Taylor Freelance magwell, regardless of which mags I used none of them would sit. To fix that you need to open up the inside of the magwell until the basepad clears. 

Below is the RP9 mag inserted into the P18.9. Right below is the Para 38 super mag. Notice how much mor the RP9 mags stick out.

eaaafc7b3827b7326f8249c6efc80823.jpg

47682cbaf63a13b200d0bb168c5d6401.jpg

Below is the Greg Cote mag with Dawson pad inserted into the Tayao freelance magwell. Right under is the mecgar mag with the +2 Para factory basepad. You can get them to fit by removing material off the sides and rear of the magwell and a little off the pistol. I will post a picture below to give a better idea.

4e23b227cb14dcb3bf892880992a2b79.jpg

d3f498fea3cb3e4076c3d72fd5eb7623.jpg

Here are the four mags lined up to give a better size representation. First, mag is the RP9 with Dawson pad. as you can see it is much longer than all three. Second is the Greg Cote mag with Dawson pad. The third is mecgar with para +2 pad. Fourth is the factory Canadian 38super which I tuned and compressed to run 9mm reliably. LAST:  I bought six of the 40sw 140mm STI mags for the RIA as well. The STI mags run flawlessly with no tuning. 

ad0b8ac20be53582745fa5aaf6d66d19.jpg

When removing material, concentrate on the sides and corners closer to the frame. You will also have to remove a little from the frame.

56f5d1f637f8037b5ec07a0485e39b69.jpg

Edited by soulbyte

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, dogtired said:

Cheaper than dirt has some for $34

Those are the 18 round mags with plastic base.  The part number is different. 17795 vs. 17794 for the correct part.

They are available as low as $25, but the basepads is more likely not to work in the magwell.  If you don't have a magwell, you are better off with the $15 RP9 mag.

Edited by only1asterisk

With all the magazines that you purchased, it would have been cheaper to go with MBX, and all would be well. I shoot a Pro Match 40 with a Taylor Freelance and MBX, everything fits.

Yes I agree it would have, I’ve had the majority of the mags for a while now with the exception of the RP9 mags that I just got recently. MBX at the time did not exist. I’ve had the Para for a long time now. Finding 9mm mags was tough, that’s the reason I modified he 38super mags to work. They still work fine but for $12 each for the RP9 mags it was a no brainer.

With the 40 mags I bought the mecgars not knowing any better, the RIA mags on a gamble they would be longer. Then the STI mags. I could have stopped there but purchased the Greg cote mags because I had an extra set of Dawson pads just sitting there.

It was a good/expensive learning experience and eventually traded away the first set of mecgars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel your pain, sucks when the manufacture sells a gun with only 1 magazine, and until not to recently, the replacement were made of unobtainium. I actually used STI, which had to be beaten to work, until MBX showed up. They are expensive, but no DAWSON tuning kit or mag ext/springs needed. I have even bought MBX for my 38 super Caspian, work great. 

I was actually getting ready to buy the MBX mags for the Para until luckily I decided to check on this thread and learned about the RP9 mags. I’m impressed with the fit and performance so far. Only gripe I have with them is the finish is rough in texture.

7 hours ago, soulbyte said:

Yes I agree it would have, I’ve had the majority of the mags for a while now with the exception of the RP9 mags that I just got recently. MBX at the time did not exist. I’ve had the Para for a long time now. Finding 9mm mags was tough, that’s the reason I modified he 38super mags to work. They still work fine but for $12 each for the RP9 mags it was a no brainer.

With the 40 mags I bought the mecgars not knowing any better, the RIA mags on a gamble they would be longer. Then the STI mags. I could have stopped there but purchased the Greg cote mags because I had an extra set of Dawson pads just sitting there.

It was a good/expensive learning experience and eventually traded away the first set of mecgars.

Where you getting RP9 mags for $12?

11 minutes ago, soulbyte said:

They were on sale recently on Palmetto. I can’t say if they still are now. This was about a month and a half ago.

Must have missed it.  $15 at Palmetto and $16 at Buds currently.  I agree with user that said the finish is a bit rough, but for a you can't beat the deal for something that works.  Too bad Dawson quit on the basepads.

29 minutes ago, thormx538 said:

Hey -- did you happen to get a chance to try this yet?

Not yet.  I've been futzing with my PCC trying to get it through a full magazine without puking the past couple of weeks.  I'm trying to get to the range this week, I'll try it out then.

I replaced yet another factory part that didn't work right and finally have a gun that runs.  I replaced the the mag release with this one, Mag Release Para HiCap Serrated Steel by Gun Craft, and that fixed the issue I was having with the RP9 mags dropping out on every shot.  The factory MG mag also goes in easier as well.  I also trimmed the followers in the RP9 mags and they no longer lock the slide with 1-2 rounds remaining.  Planning to shoot it in a local 3 Gun match this weekend and see how it goes.

21 minutes ago, Shooter212 said:

Anyone else have trouble with the rp9 mags. Mine don't feed when loaded to 18 rounds. I loaded them and let them sit for a couple days, hoping to try them again tomorrow and see if that helped. 

When you say they didn't feed, what exactly was happening?

Shot my Rock Island in a match for the first time today.  It ran great, with the exception of two quickly cleared malfunctions where the second round of a fully loaded magazine jammed.  Downloading that magazine from 21 to 20 completely fixed the problem.  Overall I was pretty happy with the gun and felt that it was on par with the G34 I've been shooting for the last year.  I'm going to keep running this pistol over the winter and see what I think of it.

12 hours ago, 1981Shooter said:

Shot my Rock Island in a match for the first time today.  It ran great, with the exception of two quickly cleared malfunctions where the second round of a fully loaded magazine jammed.  Downloading that magazine from 21 to 20 completely fixed the problem.  Overall I was pretty happy with the gun and felt that it was on par with the G34 I've been shooting for the last year.  I'm going to keep running this pistol over the winter and see what I think of it.

If I may ask , what’s your set up ? Mags , mag release, magwell,  trigger work etc ?   I’m guessing it’s not an out-of-the-box pistol  ??

12 hours ago, 1981Shooter said:

If I may ask , what’s your set up ? Mags , mag release, magwell,  trigger work etc ?   I’m guessing it’s not an out-of-the-box pistol  ??