Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/14/2017 at 5:18 AM, jrswanson1 said:

If you use the Arredondo follower, you can get 22 in the RP9 mags. 

Mine is a .40SW -- I can fit 20 in with a Dawson extended pad, and Arredondo guts, so it looks like I'd lose 2 rounds switching to the Arredondo pad. 

3 hours ago, thormx538 said:

Mine is a .40SW -- I can fit 20 in with a Dawson extended pad, and Arredondo guts, so it looks like I'd lose 2 rounds switching to the Arredondo pad. 

I need to try 40 in the RP9 mags I have, since I'm also running a P16-40.

Finally got my RIA 9mm running 100%.  I gave up on the factory extractor and got a Wilson Combat Bulletproof extractor.  I've also installed a 9lb recoil spring and 17lb mainspring from Dawson.  Had zero malfunctions through a couple hundred rounds yesterday.  I was shooting the reloads that I worked up for my G34.  They run 135PF out of the G34, but I haven't chrono'd them in the RIA yet.

Now I just need to get some RP9 mags to try out next.

Stupid question. Will the extractor from my RIA 9mm single stack interchange with my 9mm Hi Cap ?   I’m planning on using my Hi Cap for a 3 gun on Sunday and am looking to take a back up extractor 

9 hours ago, usmc90 said:

Stupid question. Will the extractor from my RIA 9mm single stack interchange with my 9mm Hi Cap ?   I’m planning on using my Hi Cap for a 3 gun on Sunday and am looking to take a back up extractor 

Yes, they should be identical 

I got a couple RP9 mags and the Arredondo performance packs for them.  I put all the Arredondo parts in them and got 21 reloadable, and was able to get 22 in easily, but it turned into a salt shaker.  It actually jammed up so bad that I had to use a screwdriver to finally get the follower and spring loose, which of course put some gouges into the follower.  I tried it with the Arredondo extension and insert with the factory spring and follower and got 20 reloadable, 21 max.  I was surprised when they got jammed up since other people have had them work without issues.  Getting 20 reloadable is better than nothing, but every time I keep trying to make cheaper mags work, the MBX mags look better and better...

On 10/28/2017 at 10:30 AM, 1981Shooter said:

I got a couple RP9 mags and the Arredondo performance packs for them.  I put all the Arredondo parts in them and got 21 reloadable, and was able to get 22 in easily, but it turned into a salt shaker.  It actually jammed up so bad that I had to use a screwdriver to finally get the follower and spring loose, which of course put some gouges into the follower.  I tried it with the Arredondo extension and insert with the factory spring and follower and got 20 reloadable, 21 max.  I was surprised when they got jammed up since other people have had them work without issues.  Getting 20 reloadable is better than nothing, but every time I keep trying to make cheaper mags work, the MBX mags look better and better...

I'm going to guess that you hand removed the rounds out of the magazine?  Because that's what happened with mine, but when I shot the pistol, I had no issues with these magazines.  But I've run them full a few times, so that helped out.  I'll say this again, the holes in the back of the magazines were drilled with a less than super sharp bit.  It needs some steel cased rounds through to smooth it out a bit.

1 hour ago, jrswanson1 said:

I'm going to guess that you hand removed the rounds out of the magazine?  Because that's what happened with mine, but when I shot the pistol, I had no issues with these magazines.  But I've run them full a few times, so that helped out.  I'll say this again, the holes in the back of the magazines were drilled with a less than super sharp bit.  It needs some steel cased rounds through to smooth it out a bit.

It actually happened when I tried to see if I could seat the mag on a closed slide with 22.  I'm going to try smoothing out any rough spots inside the mags, as well as smoothing out the edges of the follower.  It's a pretty tight fit and probably not going to help feeding.

Had a smith and metals buddy take all they could. Front strap has areas that can be taken in and rounded more. Lots under the trigger guard. Full pin on the back strap and ground flush. The width is anther matter but being addressed. And yes, I am being creative with skateboard tape, epoxy, and "half grips".
Give me til next Tues for pics. Its a spare project gun.
But.... Underwood has my interest piqued!

Shot the RP9 mags with Arredondo extensions for the first time today and it was another fail. I had no issues with the MecGar mag, but the RP9’s dropped out on the first or second shot every time regardless of round count.  I’m going to try tuning the mag catch slot on them, but once again I’m thinking just spending the money on MBX mags is worth it.

At what point is it not worth the hassle anymore?  Yes you could just pony-up $$$ for MBX mags ending up with more in the mags than what you spend on the gun to put them in ??  It’s why I’m thinking of just parting ways with mine 

Edited by usmc90
Spelling

14 hours ago, usmc90 said:

At what point is it not worth the hassle anymore?  Yes you could just pony-up $$$ for MBX mags ending up with more in the mags than what you spend on the fun to put them in ??  It’s why I’m thinking of just parting ways with mine 

I agree. I bought 3 SV mags and had Benny Hill tune them .. never looked back 

On 11/4/2017 at 6:27 PM, usmc90 said:

At what point is it not worth the hassle anymore?  Yes you could just pony-up $$$ for MBX mags ending up with more in the mags than what you spend on the gun to put them in ??  It’s why I’m thinking of just parting ways with mine 

It's a little harder for me to figure out mags living in Colorado.  Can't just order them and see what works like you people in free states :lol::lol::angry:

15 hours ago, dogtired said:

The old Para mags work great.

All I want are mags that hold 22-23, like my Glock mags w/TTI extensions, and work all the time. The only mag I have that works is the factory MG w/Dawson basepad and it holds 19 reloadable, 20 max.  It seems like MBX, or tuning STI/SV/SPS mags to work in the RIA, is the only option. To get enough of them to shoot USPSA or a pistol heavy 3 Gun stage, I’ll be approaching the cost of buying the gun in the first place. Starts making an STI make sense and seem like a good investment.