Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

5 minutes ago, usmc90 said:

If I may ask , what’s your set up ? Mags , mag release, magwell,  trigger work etc ?   I’m guessing it’s not an out-of-the-box pistol  ??

I have one MG mag with Dawson Tool-less basepad that holds 20 reliably, it'll hold 21 but tends to jam the second round when loaded to 21.  I also have two RP9 mags with the Arredondo performance packs (basepad, spring, and follower).  They both will hold 22 max, 21 reloadable, but I just ran all my mags at 20 yesterday for consistency.

My pistol would hold the RP9's in place when bench testing, but with live fire they fell out on each shot.  I replaced the mag release with the Gun Craft one, without the extended button, from Dawson and all mags stay in when shooting now and drop free easily.

The stock extractor was junk and I couldn't get it to work reliably.  It was failing to extract almost every spent case originally and tuning it only got that number down to 5'ish out of each mag.  I gave up on it and replaced it with a Wilson Combat Bulletproof extractor, which has been 100% reliable with no tuning, just dropped it in and have been running it.

I replaced the craptastic front sight with a .210 tall x .100 wide fiber optic and kept the factory rear adjustable sight and that's working well for me.

I replaced the recoil and mainspring with 9 & 17 pound units respectively.  For the trigger work, I've just polished everything to clean it up and spent a few hours adjusting the sear spring until I liked it.  I haven't tested it with a trigger pull scale, but I estimate it around 3-3.5lbs.  It came out of the box at about 6.5lbs IIRC.

I've smoothed out some of the edges around the rear of the grip and will probably do a little more soon.  I'm also most likely going to replace the safety with a wider and less sharp one.  I've had my eye on the Wilson Combat and Ed Brown safeties, but haven't got to actually touch either of them to make a decision.

Since I got a great deal on this pistol and haven't really put too much money into it, I'm pretty happy with it.  If I was doing it again, I probably would've just sent it off to Aaron Hayes and had him work his magic on it.  His pricing for work on the Rock Island's is really good and I've heard nothing but great things from people who have sent there guns in to him.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got pricing from Hayes custom earlier today and thinking of sending it off for a little massage work     And for gods sake don’t say anything bad about it on the Facebook group Armscor  lol. You’ll get blamed for limp twisting it.  Lmao 

1981, I pretty much did the same mods to make the gun more friendly.  I milled the factory safety lever to a little more reasonable profile instead of replacing it.  I added the Taylor Freelance Magwell also and the Dawson rear sight on one of them.  I have a 9mm and a 40 which weigh within 1/2 oz of each other.

The boat anchor weight of them really makes them soft shooting.  The 9mm is has silly light perceived recoil, the 40 slightly more.  I prefer a heavy gun personally.  I also feel no guilt “gunsmithing” on it.

Edited by dogtired

Interesting that they say, "+3 capacity in 9mm (2 in .40) for 21+1 performance!"  A +3 basepad on the factory mag would only be 20rds.  I'd be interested in the overall length on these to see if they would still make the 140mm gauge with the RP9 mags.

Interesting that they say, "+3 capacity in 9mm (2 in .40) for 21+1 performance!"  A +3 basepad on the factory mag would only be 20rds.  I'd be interested in the overall length on these to see if they would still make the 140mm gauge with the RP9 mags.
I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone have NON-RP9 mags that hold 18? I'll try to ask TF when I get a second.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, ItZallGooD said:
  • Model: MGP164015B

Are these the correct magazines from Greg Cote that would work with the Freelance basepads?  I ordered a 51738 Pro Match Ultra today.  I want to get the magazine situation under control.

You will most likely need to take some material off of the feedlips to avoid FTF issues with those. See my posts at the end of page 40 and beginning of page 41

Edited by thormx538

You will most likely need to take some material off of the feedlips to avoid FTF issues with those. See my posts at the end of page 40 and beginning of page 41
Yeah. I found the right one the Greg Cote site. I did email Taylor Freelance. He responded that they fit the stock magazines. I just want sure which were the ones that were stock. They are under the MetroArms section and unfortunately out of stock. P16B-40-16

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

If you have STI magazines those will work too. I have set that worked perfectly with my RIA 40. Didn’t have to tune them either. That way if you ever get an STI you can use the same mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15 minutes ago, ItZallGooD said:

Yeah. I found the right one the Greg Cote site. I did email Taylor Freelance. He responded that they fit the stock magazines. I just want sure which were the ones that were stock. They are under the MetroArms section and unfortunately out of stock. P16B-40-16

The OEM Armscor ones are OEMP164015B on Greg Cote, I think, right? But they've been OOS for like a year. They're a smidge longer than the MGP164015 Para mags. I wonder if there will be enough clearance in the magwell to use them on the MGP164015 mags too.

12 minutes ago, soulbyte said:

If you have STI magazines those will work too. I have set that worked perfectly with my RIA 40. Didn’t have to tune them either. That way if you ever get an STI you can use the same mags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes. They required modification in my gun (both to the mag tube, and to the mag catch) and were not 100% by any means. They were too tall and the slide would hit them, causing the mag to drop out of the bottom of the gun. I have the RIA with the tactical rail though, so maybe the Pro Match is a little different.

Edited by thormx538

Sometimes. They required modification in my gun (both to the mag tube, and to the mag catch) and were not 100% by any means. They were too tall and the slide would hit them, causing the mag to drop out of the bottom of the gun. I have the RIA with the tactical rail though, so maybe the Pro Match is a little different.
I might have to go the STI route if these mags don't start showing up for sale

3 hours ago, thormx538 said:

The OEM Armscor ones are OEMP164015B on Greg Cote, I think, right? But they've been OOS for like a year. They're a smidge longer than the MGP164015 Para mags. I wonder if there will be enough clearance in the magwell to use them on the MGP164015 mags too.

I may get some of the "inserted" MecGar MPG's to try out.  I have burned 18 bucks on less.  The other thing is the basepads from  Dawson are no longer available.  That's why I'm waiting for the TF basepads. 

7 hours ago, Talon75 said:

spspistols.eagleimportsinc.com/spspistols/shop/magazines/38-9mm/sps-pantera-and-vista-38-9-mm-high-cap-mag-23-rnds

Has anyone tried these mags yet, looks like a bit better price than STI. Sorry if they have been mentioned somewhere in the last 44 pages!!

I have two of them and they work fine....I put TTI pads on them (The G7's I think)  They work fine.  The metal seems a little weaker than other mags but I've used them for 2 years with no problems.

8 hours ago, Talon75 said:

spspistols.eagleimportsinc.com/spspistols/shop/magazines/38-9mm/sps-pantera-and-vista-38-9-mm-high-cap-mag-23-rnds

Has anyone tried these mags yet, looks like a bit better price than STI. Sorry if they have been mentioned somewhere in the last 44 pages!!

Just a note- the mags linked are SPS version of STI

I did not see it on their site but on SPS site there are RIA/PARA specific mags

I have 3 from several years ago and they are fine. they use to be about 10 bucks cheaper

http://spsshop.es/paraordsps-enduromac/high-capacity-magazine-140mm-p-209.html

Does anyone know if the RP9 mag base is interchangeable with the stock RIA mag ? 

I ordered 3 STI mags. They were the older style so they were on sale. I'll get the Guncrafter mag release and see how it goes

1 hour ago, ItZallGooD said:

I ordered 3 STI mags. They were the older style so they were on sale. I'll get the Guncrafter mag release and see how it goes

Not sure of the relation to my question. The reason I asked is that I spoke with Taylor Freelance today and found that the mag bases he will be making is for the “factory “ magazine that came with the gun So I’m trying to figure out if they will also work on the RP9 magazine.