Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

I had one that I contemplated milling.  Ended up selling it and buying a Tac.  RIA may be able to do that for you.  The stock magwell and the unmilled frame were not a perfect match.  I am learning how to run a mill, not confident enough yet.
I was wondering if that was gonna be necessary. I guess now I know. Kinda bummed because I called TF and asked before I bought it and there response was they all reequire some fitting. lol. Not sure what I will do now. I don't have a mill. Just a harbor frieght dremel and a saw zaw[emoji15]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need a new extractor. Which is preferred: EGW HD, Wilson XS, or an Aftec? I've heard the stories of the Aftec being ball-peen hammer reliable, but is twice the price twice as good as the other two.

I worked on the stock extractor and it worked very well for me, I did however put a Wilson Bullet proof(not the xs) in. It took a lot of fitting and tuning to work properly but now it's good. I really just like having spares with me so the stock one is in the bag just in case. This video is great for showing how to properly tune an extractor.

Edited by Talon75

Did you guys have extraction issues as well? I'm getting 1 or 2 ftes randomly which really kills you on the clock. Haven't done anything to my extractor yet so I guess I need to tune it up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jmoreno88 said:

Did you guys have extraction issues as well? I'm getting 1 or 2 ftes randomly which really kills you on the clock. Haven't done anything to my extractor yet so I guess I need to tune it up.

I had like an 80% FTE rate out of the box.  Tuning the extractor got it down to about 30%, which was still terrible.  I dropped in the Wilson Combat Bulletproof and it's ran perfectly with zero tuning.

Edited by 1981Shooter

Yes I was having terrible FTE issues till I tuned the stock extractor per the video I linked, then it was 100% perfect. I added the Wilson BP but the one I got needed a lot of tuning and fitting, it actually stuck out the rear of the slide probably a 1/4 of an inch. 

Edited by Talon75

FWIW- the stock extractor benefited the most from removing a bit of material from the locator pad(the part just behind the hook that allows the extractor to sink in deeper), Also rounding the bottom edges where the case enter the extractor. The pic shows the locator pad, the top line is pointing to it.

Capture+_2018-01-29-22-21-44-1.png

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on my new to me RIA TCM/ 9mm. I took it to the range a few weeks ago with the factory TCM mag and a couple new MecGar mags with the TF bases for the "fattie" magwell. Loaded the factory mag wouldn't seat even though the factory base has been modified a bit. So I went to the new MG's with the TF bases and it was a single shot pistol, both mags. Swapped the mag base to the TCM mag and it ran ok with my reloads but not with factory ammo oddly enough. The rounds were basically ramming into the non feed ramp base. So after watching the Atlas Gunworks videos on mag tuning and recoil spring tuning I found the problems I believe. I tuned my mags as instructed and the rounds come out of the mags with steeper trajectory, directly into the chamber. I also found the recoil spring was way too long and not letting the slide fully cycle. I trimmed the spring as directed and seems much better. Search Atlas Gunworks on YouTube for a wealth of info on the 2011. BTW the pliers used to tune your mags can be found at your local hardware store. They are simply chain pliers like these at Menards: https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ceiling-fans/lighting-hardware-accessories/chains/patriot-lighting-reg-fixture-chain-pliers/90814/p-1444429534592-c-7519.htm?tid=-5884567820849154340&ipos=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice info.  Thank for shar

8 hours ago, 3GLewie said:

Just an update on my new to me RIA TCM/ 9mm. I took it to the range a few weeks ago with the factory TCM mag and a couple new MecGar mags with the TF bases for the "fattie" magwell. Loaded the factory mag wouldn't seat even though the factory base has been modified a bit. So I went to the new MG's with the TF bases and it was a single shot pistol, both mags. Swapped the mag base to the TCM mag and it ran ok with my reloads but not with factory ammo oddly enough. The rounds were basically ramming into the non feed ramp base. So after watching the Atlas Gunworks videos on mag tuning and recoil spring tuning I found the problems I believe. I tuned my mags as instructed and the rounds come out of the mags with steeper trajectory, directly into the chamber. I also found the recoil spring was way too long and not letting the slide fully cycle. I trimmed the spring as directed and seems much better. Search Atlas Gunworks on YouTube for a wealth of info on the 2011. BTW the pliers used to tune your mags can be found at your local hardware store. They are simply chain pliers like these at Menards: https://www.menards.com/main/lighting-ceiling-fans/lighting-hardware-accessories/chains/patriot-lighting-reg-fixture-chain-pliers/90814/p-1444429534592-c-7519.htm?tid=-5884567820849154340&ipos=1

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ing 

I have a small fortune invested in Para Canadian mags/Dawson base pads.

I ordered a Taylor Freelance base pad, installed it on a Mecgar 15 round mag for the Para.  These have not worked in Para pistols with a magwell.  It installed easily, I tossed it in the mag gauge and it had about a mm of play.

It fit perfectly in my two RIA doublestacks with Fattie magwell with 20 rounds of 40, reloadable.  I tried it on an ACT mag which turns out to be too long for the gauge without taking off a mm or so.  The ACT mag works with the Dawson base pads in the Para Ord.

I think the Mecgar for Para mags are about $20 and the TF magwell about $35, so a good deal in comparison.  I will need to do a function check also.

16 minutes ago, Crazy Scientist said:

Saw a 9mm double stack for 670 this weekend at the gun show.  I had just bought an STI, but man at that price.....jiggity.  Trigger wasn't bad stock either.

Triggers are surprisingly nice on these and there is still room for improvement   Definitely worth the money for sure  

Does anyone have any pics of the TF base pads on mags inserted into the TF fatty magwell?  I have both but my pistol is at HCG right now so I don’t know how well they look/fit together. I got the Basepads after I sent it off for work 

Does anyone have any pics of the TF base pads on mags inserted into the TF fatty magwell?  I have both but my pistol is at HCG right now so I don’t know how well they look/fit together. I got the Basepads after I sent it off for work 
Gonna be picking up mine from a local gunsmith who fitted the magwell sometime this week. Ill post pics then

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, usmc90 said:

What safety did you go with ? Like it any better ?

While your post wasn't directed at me, I thought I'd share what I've done.

The RIA thumb safeties bite into my hand really bad.  I have multiple single stack and hicap RIAs and they all hurt my hands a lot.

I purchased a Sig 1911MAXM last year and thought that the tiny thumb safeties on it would be awful, but I fell in love with them! 

Through some trading and eBay auctions, I have switched most of my 1911 thumb safeties over to the smaller Sig style.

20171206_133750.jpg

20180119_200321.jpg