Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rock Island Hi Cap pistols

fp45liberator

1 minute ago, 1981Shooter said:

All I want are mags that hold 22-23, like my Glock mags w/TTI extensions, and work all the time. The only mag I have that works is the factory MG w/Dawson basepad and it holds 19 reloadable, 20 max.  It seems like MBX, or tuning STI/SV/SPS mags to work in the RIA, is the only option. To get enough of them to shoot USPSA or a pistol heavy 3 Gun stage, I’ll be approaching the cost of buying the gun in the first place. Starts making an STI make sense and seem like a good investment.

That’s what I was getting at with my earlier comment. Really like the way it shoots , but for those of us doing MORE than plinking cans off a log or the occasional trip to the range.  They are apparently NOT the way to go.   I’m even starting to experience problems with my factory mag   Maybe we should all make a trip over to the Facebook group “ Rock Island Armory “ and express all of our issues on these since the president of Armscor frequents the group and responds to posts. (?) Just a thought 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, usmc90 said:

That’s what I was getting at with my earlier comment. Really like the way it shoots , but for those of us doing MORE than plinking cans off a log or the occasional trip to the range.  They are apparently NOT the way to go.   I’m even starting to experience problems with my factory mag   Maybe we should all make a trip over to the Facebook group “ Rock Island Armory “ and express all of our issues on these since the president of Armscor frequents the group and responds to posts. (?) Just a thought 

That's not a bad thought...

The mags are surely the weak point.  The vintage Para mags are about $50 each on GB, now the Dawson basepads are scarce also.  I had squirreled away enough to keep my head above water.

Remington is producing a high cap 9mm 1911 presently but other that the RP9 mags, I have not seen new production mags to test.

https://www.remington.com/shop/1911-18-9-Magazine%2C-Steel%2C-9mm%2C-Tactical-Base/p/17795

Edited by dogtired

My MG mags hold 21 reloadable with Dawson extensions and I have at least 10k rounds thru them. I use grams followers and springs. I also have an Arrendondo extension on one if my mags and don't have any issues with it. It holds 20 reloadable. I use my gun for 3gun matches. 

1 hour ago, hump said:

My MG mags hold 21 reloadable with Dawson extensions and I have at least 10k rounds thru them. I use grams followers and springs. I also have an Arrendondo extension on one if my mags and don't have any issues with it. It holds 20 reloadable. I use my gun for 3gun matches. 

Which Dawson extensions are you using ?  I bought several of their “toolless” and they won’t seat due to magwell clearance. 

6 hours ago, hump said:

4 hours ago, usmc90 said:

Which Dawson extensions are you using ?  I bought several of their “toolless” and they won’t seat due to magwell clearance. 

The Dawson toolless extensions work on my MG mag and as the spring is loosening up I'm getting closer to 20 reloadable, but definitely not 21 and it's gone full salt shaker on me a few times.  There are slight wear marks on the extensions where it contacts the magwell, but it doesn't affect insertion.  Based on rumor in this thread though, Dawson has quit producing those extensions, so we're hosed again.

Edited by 1981Shooter

9 hours ago, usmc90 said:

Glad I a have 6 of those mag extensions that don’t work.  Also have the Taylor Freelance fatty magwell that doesn’t work with any of it either.  Ugh

I bet those extensions would work with RP9 mags in your gun.  The RP9 mags are about 0.25" longer than the MG mags, so they should fit with the factory magwell.  You might just be out of luck with that damn fatty though.

18 hours ago, usmc90 said:

I increased the opening on my magwell to eliminate the interference issue. 

9 hours ago, usmc90 said:

Glad I a have 6 of those mag extensions that don’t work.  Also have the Taylor Freelance fatty magwell that doesn’t work with any of it either.  Ugh

If you decide to get rid if the topless Dawson basepads let me know. 

6 minutes ago, usmc90 said:

Hmm I thought the RP9 mags were same length as factory or MG     Guess I’ll have buy one and try it 

They’re factory 18rd mags and Remington just made the tubes slightly longer to accommodate the extra round.

I would also be interested if you want to get rid of the toolless basepads. I emailed Dawson and they confirmed that the extended toolless basepads are discontinued and the STI/SV pads will not work on the Para mags.

34 minutes ago, dogtired said:

No, the 1911-a2 mags that Remington lists.

Palmetto is selling the RP9 mags for $15.

Other than the basepads, those A2 mags don't look any different than the RP9 mags.  Also the fact that they've stated that their double stack 1911 mags will fit Para's makes me believe they are the same mag as well.

5 hours ago, dogtired said:

There is an 18 round mag for $30-40.  I am thinking of buying one to test the theory.

The best price I can find in stock is around $45.  The 4 or 5 places that have the are all listing 20 in stock.  If I knew which distributor they are using, I might be able to buy them for a bit less.  I think the baseplates might clear the stock RI magwell.