Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.22 Ammo: Have They Lost Their Flipping Minds?

bountyhunter

I haven't bought .22 ammo in a few years.... last time I did it was $18 for a box of 550.

Can this be for real: $10 for a box of 50?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2577315741/product?cm_mmc=pe_weekly-_-availablenow-_-sk_20140827_1-_-AdBlock01

I can't believe this. 20 cents a pop for.22 LR ammo.......

Edited by bountyhunter

It crazy! I was looking back at a box 500+ for $14.99 a few weeks ago (which I bought in 2012-13). It made me sick. I just bought some Winchester 333 for $18 at Walmart a couple of weeks ago.

I swear, I think I can reload 9mm for about the same price.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shooting/Ammunition/Rimfire-Ammunition%7C/pc/104792580/c/104691780/sc/104536080/Federal-Auto-Match-22-LR-Ammunition/753211.uts

This Federal .22 was available earlier today online at Cabela's, $23.95 for box of 325 shipped, or about .075 per round before shipping. That's probably more typical of current prices.

(it is out of stock now)

Edited by trgt

I pick it up when I can, most of the stuff I buy now is match grade or premium so that I can justify the higher cost. I have purchased midas x in the past and some other high dollar .22. It is the cost of what is traditionally plinking ammo that gets me.

I know it has stopped me from buying .22 rimfire rifles or pistols. I wonder if manufacturers have seen a drop in sales? I'm just not going to pay the going rate on .22 ammo.

Obviously we don't have any real data and ammo makers are surely not going to give us any..... but the reason .22 is so steep is because there is a lot less available and there is a lot less available because ammo makers are getting squeezed on both manufacturing facilities and cost of raw materials. Bottom line: if your output is limited, you are going to make a whole lot more of the stuff that is selling for $25/50 than you are of the stuff that used to sell for about $2/50..... and now is being gouged at $10/50 because you want to maximize your profit margin on what you do sell.

.22LR used to go on sale for $5/500 all the time but that was when ammo makers were actually trying to get you to buy MORE of their products....

Edited by bountyhunter

I know it has stopped me from buying .22 rimfire rifles or pistols. I wonder if manufacturers have seen a drop in sales?

If you mean TOTAL ammo sales..... I don't think that is possible. They are running wide open.

One thing we sometimes forget: when the government needs something (ANYTHING) they can go to the makers of that something and say:

"You will make us this XXX and we will pay you whatever it costs. You will also never tell anybody that you are making it for us."

And they are first in line.

Edited by bountyhunter

I know it has stopped me from buying .22 rimfire rifles or pistols. I wonder if manufacturers have seen a drop in sales?

If you mean TOTAL ammo sales..... I don't think that is possible. They are running wide open.

One thing we sometimes forget: when the government needs something (ANYTHING) they can go to the makers of that something and say:

"You will make us this XXX and we will pay you whatever it costs. You will also never tell anybody that you are making it for us."

And they are first in line.

The government isn't buying all the ammo. There are a ton of new Shooters that don't know they are paying to much. And people are jumping it when they can find it because they don't know when they will again