Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm 1911 barrel, bull or bushing?

kuletchi1

It will feel like cheating anyway in a heavy 1911, so either one will be fine.

+1

It also depends if it is a 5" or a 6", and how you like your guns to balance.

The 9mm bore diameter is smaller, but the OD of a bushing or bull barrel remains the same so a 9mm bushing barrel is heavier than a 45 bushing barrel anyway.

Agree ^. What is the intended purpose? Bull barrels in the 5" configuration are not legal for USPSA SS division or IDPA's ESP. OK for USPSA L-10, Steel Challenge, and probably 3-gun though.

Personally I think a 9mm bushing barrel is thick enough as it is, not sure you need the extra weight of a full on bull barrel.

Hello: I would get a bushing barrel 1911. You can make some pretty soft loads using 115-147 grain bullets. I would also suggest she tries a commander also. Weight of the pistol may be an issue as well. See what she likes the best. A Browning Buckmark may be better? Thanks, Eric

My daughter shoots the buckmark with the ts barrel.

Wanted something more powerful. And I don't want her to shoot 1911 (selfish). That's why I'm building her own. Just trying to get the pros and cons on which barrel to use.

Thanks for all the responses.

Hello: Use a bushing barrel and then she can shoot single stack. I have a 2011 I built with a 5" bushing barrel top end and a 4.180" bull barrel top end. I like both but for longer shots the 5" wins. The bull barrel is great for carry and IDPA. My favorite 9mm 2011 is my 6"bushing barrel with a lightened slide. It is just a sweat shooter with 121 grain bullets at 134PF. Thanks, Eric

• 4 weeks later...