Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking to get into USPSA gun questions

champ198

fellas. I'm wanting to try my hand at uspsa. I have never shot in any uspsa shoot before the only shooting sport I have ever done was cowboy action and although it was a load of fun it is expensive just with the amount of guns you have to have to do it.

a while back I got into some money issues and had to sell a lot of guns as much as I didn't want to so now I am left with no handguns at all and am looking at getting another and also want to shoot in uspsa also

the question I have is I would really like to have an XDm in 9mm but not sure of I can go to that much cost yet so I have been looking at a normal XD 9mm and also a glock 17

I know the 9mm will put me in minor power and I'll run in production class.

my question is if these 2 guns were the ones you were looking at getting which would be the better one and why? in your opinion of course. I have had both glock and 4 diffrent XD models but just wanted to get some opinions from you all and hear your thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my question is if these 2 guns were the ones you were looking at getting which would be the better one and why?

The one that fits your hand better, and/or the one that you shoot better if you can get a chance to try them out.

Eric

I agree with Eric above. Also, if you were leaning torwards getting an XDM, you may just want to go with a standard XD. That way if in the future you switch to an XDM, you already will have the gear for it and the only thing that would change would be the gun.

might help to know what Glock and XDs you already own. Longer sight radius is nice if you have that option. You can be competitive with either platform so preference is a large component of your decision. It's easier to get parts for Glocks in general but that doesn't mean you can't set up an XD for competition.

At my club, we have Production shooters shooting Glocks and XD(m)s with equal excess. It turns into a Ford vs. Chevy sort of thing at some point.

Whatever gun you get, commit to practice and dryfiring. Neither gun will hold you back.

at this point now I own nothing

in the past u had a glock 23 2nd gen and springfeilds I have had a XD45, xds45, XDm 3.8

and also had a sig sauer sp2022

those are the ones I have had in the past

I shot the xds45 and 3.8 both in 45 acp and the sig the best as far as shooting goes

Edited by champ198

Before you jump look carefully at the costs involved. The gun for production is a small part of the cost. Typically most productions shooters carry 6 mags, belt, holster, mage pouches, etc. Ammo, you will go through a lot. Dry fire is a huge help but you need to get out and live fire as well.

Before you jump look carefully at the costs involved. The gun for production is a small part of the cost. Typically most productions shooters carry 6 mags, belt, holster, mage pouches, etc. Ammo, you will go through a lot. Dry fire is a huge help but you need to get out and live fire as well.

that's the truth. Of course, you buy what you can afford. I have both a Glock with a Zev trigger and an XD with a Springer Precision trigger. The XD trigger is a little better, lighter and shorter reset. In the end, they're not that much different.

Go with the one that indexes and feels the best, the xd always felt like it sat a lot higher in my hand which I didn't like, if money's tight there are a ton of glock police trade ins available. There is usually some holster wear but typically they have been shot a lot less than you would expect (unfortunately) there is also way more aftermarket parts and it's almost guaranteed that you could assemble several glocks just from spare parts sitting in people's bags at a match. End of the day, either is a fine pistol

Another cheap way to get in is in Single Stack. RIA pistols seem to be good and fairly inexpensive. Taurus maybe too. I've seen both be very competitive and cost less than a glock 34 or xdm. And they come from the box with decent triggers, sights, and safeties. The recoil will be softer too. Just a thought, but definitely get started with something and have fun.

Later

fellas. I'm wanting to try my hand at uspsa. I have never shot in any uspsa shoot before the only shooting sport I have ever done was cowboy action and although it was a load of fun it is expensive just with the amount of guns you have to have to do it.

a while back I got into some money issues and had to sell a lot of guns as much as I didn't want to so now I am left with no handguns at all and am looking at getting another and also want to shoot in uspsa also

the question I have is I would really like to have an XDm in 9mm but not sure of I can go to that much cost yet so I have been looking at a normal XD 9mm and also a glock 17

I know the 9mm will put me in minor power and I'll run in production class.

my question is if these 2 guns were the ones you were looking at getting which would be the better one and why? in your opinion of course. I have had both glock and 4 diffrent XD models but just wanted to get some opinions from you all and hear your thoughts

To first answer your question, I suggest you go with what feels best shooting for you. Either the XDor the Glock will work fine for you in competition.

That said, as was mentioned by another above, since you competed in Cowboy Action Shooting you might want to think about Revolver Division. I went from CAS to IDPA & USPSA and into the respective revolver divisions. I was already reloading 45 Colt, so I found double action revolvers that were in that caliber. Even if you start with a Glock or XD I suggest that you try revolver division if you get the opportunity. If you were shooting 357/38 in CAS then I more strongly suggest trying Revolver Division.

Edited by Blueridge

Offshore sport fishing tournament setup ...

Luhrs 35' flybridge sport fishing yacht. $150,000

Electronics upgrade (15Kw radar, 1,000 fathom depth finder, GPS nav suite with auto pilot): $25,000

Yearly insurance: $3,000

Yearly dock fees: $2,500

Yearly maintenance: $2,000

400g fuel tank @$3.50/gal diesel fuel: $1,400 per fill up

Fishing equipment (rods/reels, etc): $5,000

Tournament entry fees: $500 per event

USPSA competition shooting

Custom CZ Shadow: $1,400

8 extra mags: $200

Belt, mag holders, holster: $250

Gun cleaning kit: $50

Dillion 650: $2,000

Range bag: $200

Match fees: $10-$150 per event

Bullets ... Who cares? They are cheap no matter what they cost ....:)

What fits you best - does one feel better, gets 'A' hits easier?

What do your friends shoot and what do folks at your club shoot? Easier on knowledge, parts, setup and such

Odds are though that between the two, a lot more Glock shooters, and that might mean you can pick up parts for your kit that you need used more easily and at a better price than XD stuff. Maybe even borrow some stuff until you can get fully set up.

I currently shoot CZ, but in the past have had both XDm and Glock, and it seems like it's really more of a pick one and practice type of thing, either would be fine.

I would recommend that you go to a range with rentals and shoot both. What fits best in your hand and indexes is what you should go with . Either the Springfield or Glock is a good platform and at our club, I see both and both do well. Just need to get use to shooting with one in the beginning, practice, dry fire, and learn how to shoot the USPSA game. Above all, have fun. Save what money you can and get into hand loading your ammunition. Get one and go have at it. (Note: When I shoot production I use a M&P just because I have one).

Whatever you decide, I would probably be leaning more towards the model with a 5" slide/barrel. That means the XDM 5.25 or the Glock 34/35.

As far as caliber, I'd probably go with 9mm or .40SW and shoot Production or Limited with that gun.

Lastly I would do what I could to get a progressive press and start reloading. Use the money you save from reloading to invest in deep sea fishing...