Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 Bushing or Bull Barrel

trouble

I am getting ready to have a pistol built and I searched for forums on Bushing vs Bull barrel and didn't find anything recent. Can anyone give me any newer opinions on the subject. It will be a 9mm 2011 limited style gun mainly used for 3-gun.

Edited by trouble

Bushing Barrel for 9mm with a regular slide recoils and transitions well, but a 9mm bull barrel with a lightened slide is great too. A bull barrel with a regular slide is fine and will work as well. Pick one and practice, you'll get used to it, besides one over the other won't give you a considerable advantage. That being said a lightened slide with a bushing barrel, a 9lb spring paired with a smidge of 231 is the best set up. I have no factual information or stats to prove why it is the best, but it feels great.

Bushing barrel, short dust cover perfect for 3 gun with fart loads and you can make it work for IDPA as well. The last time I shot a IDPA, you couldn't shoot a bull barrel over a certain length but I am not up on the rules.

The dawson ice magwell is nice for 3 gun but too big for IDPA. The STI 2011 magwell is a slightly too big but can be easily modified to fit a box.

Hello: A 6" bushing barreled 2011 is a real sweet shooter. The first one I shot was Benny Hill's personal 9mm a couple of years ago. I shot a couple more since guys around Corpus Christi had them. They all shot very well and soft with great accuracy. I decided to build one for myself and they are fun to shoot. Lighten the slide and use a standard frame and have at it. Thanks, Eric

One of the things that have broken on me on a 2011 is the legs of the bushing. Legs broke and the recoil plug just shot off into the bay. I was done for the day.

If you get a match bushing oftentimes you will need to have a bushing wrench to take it apart.

I have a 5" STI in 9MM that uses a bushing. Also have an SVI with two top ends (5" .40 and 6" 9MM). Also have several Paras with bushings.

Both the SVI (bull) and STI (bushing) need 135-140+ PF to be reliable.

In three gun you have to knock down steel and around here the three 3G club matches use MGM Spinners. I honestly don't think mouse fart 9MM's are that big of an advantage with relatively heavier 2011's. With plastic guns (Glocks, etc.) sub minor loads with regular loads would help.

If I had to chose, I'd go with a bull barrel.

I've owned both and prefer the recoil impulse of a bull bbl.

I'd go bull bbl with a lightened slide, short dustcover and a drilled steel or aluminum guide rod. You'll be in the low 30 oz range and it'll shoot much softer than the same with a bushing bbl.

Bushing barrel, short dust cover perfect for 3 gun with fart loads and you can make it work for IDPA as well. The last time I shot a IDPA, you couldn't shoot a bull barrel over a certain length but I am not up on the rules.

The dawson ice magwell is nice for 3 gun but too big for IDPA. The STI 2011 magwell is a slightly too big but can be easily modified to fit a box.

If you go with bushing barrel, short dust cover, modified STI magwell, and some 126mm mags you could shoot IDPA ESP.

If you go full limited with it and get enlarged mag buttons, magwells, thumb rests, slide lightening, etc. it would put you out of IDPA but still good for USPSA limited but scored as minor.

does anyone have any pics of the difference in dust cover..short vs?

The Edge is a long dust cover, the custom is short. Both are 5" barrels.

i-gGt8QfG-L.jpg

Edited by Quack

....and both look awesome, Quack. I have to ask since I'm still learning about 1911/2011 triggers. It looks like you have a flat long SVI on your custom and an SVI short long on your Edge. What drives your decision making for what kind of trigger you like on your guns?

The long flat came with the custom, I swapped it out to a short flat. The short flat is about the same as the regular flat triggers that I use on my other 1911/2011's and keeps everything consistent. The pic above was from when I bought the custom from a friend. The pic below was a few months after I got the custom.

i-Btxb3pc-L.jpg

Edited by Quack

Okay, thanks. That's quite a set you have there. You can absolutely color me jealous.

I have my very first 1911 on order and the one thing that I noticed about all of the 1911 and 2011 pistols that I've handled is that the trigger always seems short to me so I ordered the SVI long flat trigger with it. The only thing I can figure is that using a Beretta 92FS during my law enforcement days just sort of formatted my brain for long triggers and that's what feels natural to me.