STI Trojan is killing me with feed jams

kirbinster

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took the Tripp tuned .40 Trojan out this morning and ran all seven trip 10 round 10mm mags with standard and "Corey" followers with major and minor PF loads and it ran without a hiccup. Every round from slide lock chambered up and no nose diving. I know it wasn't as cheap as sending it back to STI but I am happy with it. Just wanted to throw the info out there for anyone who might be searching and wanting to know somewhere to send a problem pistol.

See if the round under the one on top is causing the slide stop to come up. seemed mine would hang and stop the slide at the take down notch. Did a little rounding on the edge of the slide stop to fix this issue.

Took the Tripp tuned .40 Trojan out this morning and ran all seven trip 10 round 10mm mags with standard and "Corey" followers with major and minor PF loads and it ran without a hiccup. Every round from slide lock chambered up and no nose diving. I know it wasn't as cheap as sending it back to STI but I am happy with it. Just wanted to throw the info out there for anyone who might be searching and wanting to know somewhere to send a problem pistol.

Just curious, what does Tripp do to fix the feeding problem? Did he re-angle the feed ramp?

I just had a custom 1911 in .40SW built (STI frame and tri-topped slide, and a Kart barrel), and was initially experiencing what I think was the same problem where the round would jam up against the feed ramp. If I jiggled the slide I could usually get it to feed. This was usually the top round or sometimes the second round in a full mag (brand new Tripp Corey mags, same as yours), and after that the remaining rounds would feed just fine. So after I ran about 500 rnds to break it in, the gunsmith who built the gun re-cut the feed ramp back slightly and I think he also opened up the chamber opening a little. Interestingly enough, he said that when he removed the extractor the top round in the mag would feed just fine so he dressed the hook and re-tensioned the extractor.

In the second 500 rnds I've only had it jam twice, which is way better than it was before. So we're getting there, and just a few more tweaks and I think it'll be 100%. Just curious what Tripp does to .40SW 1911's to get them to run because I've read about people sending their problem .40's to him with good results. My GS is local and a fellow competitor which makes it easy for me to take the gun to him for these little tweaks. Other than the intermittent jams I really like shooting SS in .40SW (previously shot SS using a .45 Trojan).

Honestly not sure. I can tell there was some work done to the feedramp and also the frame just below it. Other than that I am not sure. When I talked to them I just said I want it to work reliably and they said no problem. It works. LOL Give them a call. They were very nice to talk to.

Longer ammo and tuned mags is what you need to make a 9mm 1911 run reliably. Try a 9rnd metalform mag... That magazine feeds JHPs in my Sentry all day long, but any 10 round mags seems to cause nose dives.

+1 Same thing I see. Ten stock 9mm bullets stacked vertically in a SS mag just don't like to feed right. Have no problem with the 9 round mags or the ten round mags loaded with 9 rounds.... but ten rounds just doesn't like to feed without nosediving the top round.

In the original post you said the pistol ran in practice but not at the match. If it runs 100 percent in practice with the same ammo and mags it is very possible you are letting your thumb drag on the slide. It doesn't take much to make a 9mm 1911 malfunction and slowing the slide down could easily cause it. In practice you are relaxed, at the match you may have a little more adrenaline and be changing your grip a little without realizing it, ...it happens, have someone watch but it's hard to catch. I'm assuming you are having mid magazine failures and not just loads from slide lock.

I'll add a few things I've learned getting 9mm to run at low PFs. Just like the 8 round 45 mags can cause more nosedives on the first round load from slide lock the 10 round 9 mags do the same, the biggest factor I've found is magazine spring tension. Fully loaded the spring tension is highest and that combined with the tapered case practically guarantees a nose dive, leaving the mags fully loaded to get the mag spring to take a set or weaken a little will help. It's a tricky balance to have enough tension to feed the last round and not too much for the top round of a fully loaded mag to feed. Modifying the feed ramp so that it has a good chance to feed even if it does nose dive is good insurance.

I don't use any buffers because you want all the slide travel you can get to allow the round to get fully up in the feed lips before the slide gets there to feed the round. Some people run heavier recoil springs in an effort to sledge hammer the round into the chamber, to my thinking that is just covering up the problem and can cause other kinds of malfunctions.

With an iron sighted pistol you can get away with a little less extractor tension, usually, you definitely are going the wrong way increasing tension to fix a feeding problem. It's a fine line either way because you have a small amount of case rim to grab.

Eliminate any extra friction you can, I polish the top of the chamber area of the barrel and break that edge at the top of the hood if it has one. Make sure there are no sharp edges or anything to drag on the barrel. Use a good light oil and plenty of it, 1911's run on oil and 9mm even more so.

Ross, thanks for your suggestions. I don't think it is my grip impacting the slide as many times I wear a GoPro on my head and have watched video - but that was a good point. As far as low powerfactor, I have been using factory loads and was just told what I used that day was actually around 142, which is far from low. The main difference at the range is I almost never load more than 5 rounds at a time. In any case, the gun is at STI now and hopefully they will come up with an answer.

The main difference at the range is I almost never load more than 5 rounds at a time.

And that's exactly what will eliminate the nosedive problem. 9mm is a tapered case so the more there are stacked up, the more likely it is for the top round to go nose down. Edited by bountyhunter

The main difference at the range is I almost never load more than 5 rounds at a time.

And that's exactly what will eliminate the nosedive problem. 9mm is a tapered case so the more there are stacked up, the more likely it is for the top round to go nose down.

True and the magazine spring is less compressed so that reduces the tendency to nose dive also. I think the mystery of why it works in practice and not at the match is solved.

If you don't want to wait for STI then definitely talk to Virgil Tripp. After having two gunsmiths work on my 40 I sent it to Tripp and now it runs perfect. The guy is a genius.

If you don't want to wait for STI then definitely talk to Virgil Tripp. After having two gunsmiths work on my 40 I sent it to Tripp and now it runs perfect. The guy is a genius.

That's the "T" in STI. From Virgil Tripp.

That's the "T" in STI. From Virgil Tripp.

One of the major factors in my decision to send it to him. ;)

Just a thought...

Have you ever left your mags fully loaded and left to sit for a few days?

If the tech at STI has a broken in mag or half loaded mag that he tests your gun with, he may not have the issue you have.

I'm not sure if the problems I've been having with my .40SW 1911 were the same as the one you've been having where the top round in the mag would jam up against the feedramp but I got mine fixed this weekend. The nose of the bullets were hitting right in the middle of the ramp, and in practice I was only having one or two jams per 200 rnds (ish). On Saturday I shot a 6 stage USPSA match and had 4 or 5 jams (with multiple jams on one stage) which was the worst its been in the 1,200 rnds that have been fired thru the gun. Fortunately on Sunday the gunsmith who built the gun was free so I spent an hour in his shop and we got the problem resolved.

We started with dykeming the feed ramp then hand cycling rounds thru the gun to indicate where the bullets were impacting the feed ramp. Then my GS used a dremel to increase the angle slightly. He went slow and it took us several tries, with testing after each dremeling, to get to where it fed without any hitches then gave it a good polish and sent me on my way with instructions to go shoot the piss out of the gun.

I must have hand cycled over 100 dummy rounds last night from full mags and not a single jam or even slightest hesitation in feeding.

Good luck with getting your gun working.

I think Dawson would improve upon their "CRP" package for you as well.

I bought my STI from Dawson with the CRP package and mags all at the same time. When I reported my issue to them I was directed to STI.

STI didn't fix it so I guess it goes to Tripp next.