Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do You Shoot in Production?

Duane Thomas

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started with a 3rd gen G17 but was seduced by CZ85B's sweet single action and ambi controls (I'm a lefty). The CZ is not as reliable as the Glock but it has registered a number of flawless pistol action in the matches that i participated in last year ;)

It seems that Glock is the preferred pistol for IPSC production. But is it the "winningiest?" :rolleyes:

I believe 3 of the top 4 finishers at the 2004 Nationals used a Glock. I don't know how you measure "winningest," but that's pretty good.

It's also worthwhile to note that shooters using Berettas and CZs did well too.

I'm surprised RHINO doesn't shoot what JAYGO shoots :wub:

Well, I would if I could! The trigger finger ... it's not long enough for a stock Glock!

So Flex$ can feel better, I will admit that I can shoot my G17 okay, but the frame has been drastically reduced, thus making it inelligible for Production (or Stock Service Pistol in IDPA).

Plus I don't like the way Glocks flex when you squeeze them or how they "whip" when you shoot them. It's kinda creepy.

I really like the grip and short trigger reach on the BDM, but the trigger reset could be measured in feet instead of fractions of an inch. The Smith & Wesson is almost as good for me grip size-wise, but the trigger is drastically better than the BDM or any other double action gun I've shot. I like its trigger better than a Glock as well.

I shoot a SIG P226 9mm, my old duty pistol. Other than changing the sights and a hard chrome finish, it is stock. Action is pretty smooth since it has been shot a lot over the past 13 years.

I shot my Glock 17 a few times but the SIG feels better, is more accurate, reliable, and faster for me. Plus reloading is much easier.

I have been considering a Para P18-9mm LDA though. I have shot them and they are really slick. Plus I shoot Paras in other classes so they just feel natural.

(9MX @ Jan 10 2005, 03:53 PM)

It seems that Glock is the preferred pistol for IPSC production. But is it the "winningiest?" :rolleyes:

Not here in Europe, at least... ;)

Didn't that Czech kid beat Angus with a Glock at the Europeans?

Not sure if Adam shot the EC with a Glock, altough a few months before he was shooting the Med Cup with a G17, but I read that after the very last shot at EC he has been sponsored by CZ (can you imagine a Czech european champion that doesn't shoot a Czech gun????).

All in all, on this side of the pond there are a lot of Tanfoglios, CZs, and other guns used at top level other than Glock.

All in all, on this side of the pond there are a lot of Tanfoglios, CZs, and other guns used at top level other than Glock.

Same here in the Philippines. Though according to Eye Cutter, CZ is the winningiest locally. Just wondering if the same is true for the rest fo the world...seems not :lol:

Glock 17 last year...34 this year. I have no idea how Glocks compare to other guns...I've really never even shot anything else (except a .22 Ruger). I like the simplicity of Glocks. Even my open gun is a Glock :o ...17C with a Docter sight.

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot the one no one talks about... a Ruger p-89. Unmodified except for a fiber optic front sight. There's no such thing as a totally reliable gun, but this one's the closest I've seen. Here in the Green Mountains we shoot some crazy winter matches; we had one last year when it was -17 degrees F (yeah, 17 BELOW zero), and I saw at least two Glocks (and pretty much everything else) malfunctioning all over the place, but the Ruger ran flawlessly. And a five second jam cancles out a whole lot of tenths here and there picked up on slightly quicker reloads or what have you. (The Ruger's weakest feature in my opinion is that it's a fairly slow reloader.) It's a light gun, but I like that; for me it means nice fast transitions.

When it comes right down to it, though, there are a whole lot of perfectly good options in Production division. What matters most is who's pulling the trigger. :rolleyes:

"So the sponsorship wasn't the reason I switched, I was switching anyway. "

Me too. As a B limited & C Production shooter, no one pays me to shoot their guns so I choose based on what works. After most of a season wasted on a Glock 17 (the GSSF model) I switched to a regular CZ 75B loaned to me by a friend (thanks Bernie). Result? Better accuracy & it felt a heck of a lot better in my hand plus it shot more like my 1911s (steel frame, steel slide - vs. plastic flex-o-frame & weird trigger).

After I gave back the 75B, I bought the 85 Combat that had:

extended mag release

no series 80 safety

overtravel adjustable trigger (that is allowed in Production division unlike "speedbump")

adjustable sights

& a couple other features.

As for a trigger job, you can get about 80 to 90% of it simply by ordering & installing the lightest Wolff brand hammer spring (15 or 16 lbs).

Until the CZ made, double-action copy of the STI EDGE (also known as the SP-01) comes out in 2005, the 85 Combat is the ideal Production weapon. Regards,

Douglas

www.shootersparadise.com