Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Holsters

Clay1

"If you look through the belt slot area of the holster with it on the belt/body, you should not be able to see any daylight. If you can see through this belt tunnel area, the holster is not approved."

So my brand new Blade Tech and Dave Elderton Kytac SooperHooper Kydex holsters have been outlawed!

UNBELIEVABLE

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know nobody wants to buy new equipment but a thicker belt would solve the daylight in the belt loop part of the holster problem. As long as it was still the 1 3/4 width from top to bottom. That is if people with holster problems like that still even want to compete in IDPA anymore.

The Dale H. vest is made for competition. I believe the name of the company is Competative concealment on the label. Would that not make the vest a competition only garment. They are way too ugly to wear out to a restraunt or grocery store.

Dave

Big Dave does it really matter what Wilson markets his holsters for. After all he is IDPA anything he says goes. Including half the shooters now.

I see USPSA matches filling production and L10 quickly this year.

I'm a bit confused here.. if the 3/4" rule is in place, why should tunnels and overpasses and all matter?

Yeah what shred said.

My Ky-Tac Sooper Hooper II hugs my curvy waist much better that most of the the holsters that didn't get outlawed. Go figure.

I think that if we all put our collection of outlawed holsters and ammo carriers together we could sink a fair sized boat.

This my very well end my relationship with IDPA.

"If you look through the belt slot area of the holster with it on the belt/body, you should not be able to see any daylight. If you can see through this belt tunnel area, the holster is not approved."

So my brand new Blade Tech and Dave Elderton Kytac SooperHooper Kydex holsters have been outlawed!

UNBELIEVABLE

I talked with Dave tonight and he said he's trying to work out a way to modify existing holsters to where they would now be legal.

DO NOT take a heat-gun to your Ky-Tac because it will void your warranty. Let Dave do it.

FWIW, the hunnicut vest isn't on the chopping block. The comment on specially designed vests is oriented towards the cheater types who reinforce their pockets so they have essentially a bucket to drop their T.L.'s into.

Ted

it shouldn't matter RWR are not suposed to be done on the clock now....

my blade tech paddle holster can be adjusted for a forward cant, but if I get some epoxy and fill the extra holes it looks like it would be legal again....LOL

insanity

sno

Strangely enough, I started transitioning back to leather holsters for OWB carry a couple of years ago (OWB kydex doesn't conceal well for me). The holster rules haven't affected me. The only kydex I have is for IWB and mag pouches...and only the Comp-Tac mag pouches aren't kosher, due to the 50% rule. I pretty much dodged that bullet.

Speedloader holders are another story, though. I have no idea what the rulebook means for them.

So, really, who did David E. and Uncle Mike's piss off at Barryville anyway?

HQ is willing to take a hit at those two by labeling their product as not appropiate for real life use, BUT they won't take on Glock for their "practical & tactical" guns (G34 & G35).

I bet they figures that people would be willing to overlook throwing away $20 for a holster, but would not overlook throwing away $$$$+ for a pistol.

So, really, who did David E. and Uncle Mike's piss off at Barryville anyway?

Maybe they didn't send a check to the right people? <_<

This holster business seems like a case of fixing something that wasn't broken. Apparently they did address some of the more troublesome issues in the last rule book, but this little gyration takes one of the rules that was working pretty well and makes it work ... less well.

At this point, I don't give a crap if my equipment is "approved" or not. If it's not and I get assessed FTDR penalties each time someone cares to worry over it, then eventually I'll just quit going to the matches.

IDPA has the potential to be a very enjoyable activity, but they seem to want to suck the fun right out of it. If it's not fun and there are no financial incentives for winning, what's the point?

HQ is willing to take a hit at those two by labeling their product as not appropiate for real life use, BUT they won't take on Glock for their "practical & tactical" guns (G34 & G35).

That's because there are people - myself, for instance - who use a Glock 34 or 35 as their daily carry gun. I mean, really, how can you allow the Government Model to compete - and there are entire Roman legions of people out there carrying those - and outlaw the G34/35? The G34/35 were designed from the ground up to be Glocks the same size as a Government Model. That's a concept that works really well for me. If I can carry and conceal a Government Model, as I've done for years, I can carry and conceal a G34. (It's just a helluva lot lighter.) :D

A few months ago I was talking to Dave Sevigny, and I told him, "Y'know, I think I'm going to actually start carrying a Glock again, like I did about six years ago. And, don't laugh because this sounds kind of weird, but this time I think I'm going to go for a Glock 34 instead of a 19." Dave replied, "Actually that doesn't sound weird to me at all. A lot of 1911 guys, when they switch over to the Glock, gravitate toward the 34/35. Because of the size of the gun, it seems more like what they're used to."

This holster business seems like a case of fixing something that wasn't broken.

The more I think about it, the more convinced I become that the new holster rules are a brilliant solution to the problem, a flexible system that takes into account the fact that a holster that might not be body hugging and concealable for one person might, on a different person with a very different body type, be both. Instead of simply giving us a list of approved holsters, IDPA HQ is saying that what's important is the final effect.

At this point, I don't give a crap if my equipment is "approved" or not. If it's not and I get assessed FTDR penalties each time someone cares to worry over it, then eventually I'll just quit going to the matches.

Soon young Jedi your transformation to the "Dark Side" will be complete.

Rhino repeat after me " I will not cheat I will not cheat.........". :lol:

The closest IDPA match for me is 2 1/2+ hours drive one way. With gas prices the way they are now I just can't afford a new IDPA rig.............for each gun. :angry:

How about getting some tactical black Silly Putty and jamming it into those unsightly places where light can pass? :lol:

Sound like a good idea but, there is a prohibition on anything like that. I can't quote the exact verbage but that's what it says. :wacko:

Fwiw ,

I have no problem with IDPA making the UM holster illegal.

I tried one once and returned it to the point of purchase - it stuck out way to far - for me , to be considered as a carry holster.

Mark

Mark,

Do you realize how that sounds? I wear a UM every day all day. How would you like it if I said that I had no problem with making your holster choice illegal? I tried one once and it was too ugly, not the right color, not comfortable enough to be considered as a carry holster. Different strokes for different folks. How about if your choice of gun, vest, hat, whatever were outlawed? The "spirit" of the game is supposed to be practical equipment and a lot of people wear UM holsters every day.

Rhino repeat after me " I will not cheat I will not cheat.........". :lol:

Oh, no!

Now I'll be shooting an Open gun ... from a Limcat holster!

Rhino repeat after me  " I will not cheat I will not cheat.........". :lol:

Oh, no!

Now I'll be shooting an Open gun ... from a Limcat holster!

:wub: Ms Julie Goloski :wub: shoots open.