Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Part Time IDPA Shooting

Smitty79

Because of real life, I can only shoot about 15 matches a year. My current "passion" is shooting USPSA Production. I particularly like high round count stages. I also shoot Steel Challenge and 3 Gun for variety.

The local club has an active IDPA group and I'd love to shoot one or 2 of these a year, especially since the next gun on my list is a revolver. The thought of shooting 30 steel targets with a six shooter is scary. So no USPSA Revolver any time soon.

The problem is, I don't want to have to pay for a membership and be required to shoot an annual classifier to shoot 2 matches a year. I'd be happy to pay an extra $5 a match to shoot as a non-member. $40 a year and one of them having to be a classifier, isn't going to happen any time soon.

Is there any discussion within HQ of figuring out a better way to let people shoot IDPA part time?

IIRC, the new & improved Rule Book (insert laughing ICON here!) does allow a non IDPA member to shoot a IDPA match and take a 20 second FTDR penalty. At. least. that's what it seems to say now. Check with the MD, acquaint him with that Rule if you can find it, subtract 20 seconds from your overall score and you'll see how you stacked up.

Or, just shoot USPSA. The Rules are simple and easy to understand... unlike the new & improved IDPA Rule Book. At least, USPSA doesn't have a list of prohibited actions followed by an "etc.". I'm not sure how a SO could ding a shooter for an "etc.".... but, given that IDPA lost about 35%-40% of their experienced SOs (including this one who started SOing in 2007) I guess a 'newbie' could throw a PE for a 'etc.'.

So what's wrong with 30 steel with a revo? We do it all the time in ICORE. It's a hoot!

So your local club won't let you participate if your not a member? Thats kinda weird... Is there maybe another local IDPA game within reasonable driving distance in your area?

The rules in the book are pretty clear. If you want to shoot more than one match, you have to join IDPA. To do otherwise is a match DQ.

IIRC, the new & improved Rule Book (insert laughing ICON here!) does allow a non IDPA member to shoot a IDPA match and take a 20 second FTDR penalty. At. least. that's what it seems to say now. Check with the MD, acquaint him with that Rule if you can find it, subtract 20 seconds from your overall score and you'll see how you stacked up.

Or, just shoot USPSA. The Rules are simple and easy to understand... unlike the new & improved IDPA Rule Book. At least, USPSA doesn't have a list of prohibited actions followed by an "etc.". I'm not sure how a SO could ding a shooter for an "etc.".... but, given that IDPA lost about 35%-40% of their experienced SOs (including this one who started SOing in 2007) I guess a 'newbie' could throw a PE for a 'etc.'.

So what's wrong with 30 steel with a revo? We do it all the time in ICORE. It's a hoot!

I shoot USPSA now. I'm holding off on joining until I can start shooting 40% classifiers. I shoot about 60% of the Production winners for whole matches. But I'm still shooting in the 20s for classifiers. As to that many shots with a revolver, if I'm going to shoot USPSA revolver with a 6 gun, I am going major. 30+ rounds of 357 mag in a minute or so doesn't sound like fun.

This post here and one on the main IDPA forums are a thinly veiled move to get them to make the rules more part time friendly.

Edited by Smitty79

There is no rule for a Match DQ.

It is a rule that you have to join IDPA after your 1st match. The local club here has a rule that you can't stop a Club Member from shooting in any non-sanctioned event held at the club.

While I encourage you to join IDPA and get classified, I don't think a local club would turn you away 2 or 3 times a year for not having a number and classification.

I don't know if I understand correctly, but it seems this is about $40 a year. You'll shoot more $ in ammunition than that in a single match. No doubt shooting can be (is) expensive. Another $40 is just peanuts.

I'm not being mean or sarcastic. Just saying $40 isn't worth fretting about these days.

Maybe I'm mis-reading the rule book:

IDPA Shooter Responsibilities and Code of Conduct
By shooting IDPA Matches, I agree to the following:
I will maintain a current IDPA membership after my first match.
I will maintain an accurate Classification by shooting a Classifier at least every 12 months. (Unless a
Master or Distinguished Master Classification is attained, or a Match Performance Promotion has
occurred in the
last 12 months.)
Disqualification (DQ): A shooter must be disqualified for the following reasons:
5.6.1. Unsafe firearm handling as defined in the Safety Rules Section.
5.6.2. Receiving more than one FTDR during a single match.
5.6.3. Unsportsmanlike conduct
5.6.4. Violations of the Shooter’s Code of Conduct
I can reload 9mm for 12 cents a round. So I can shoot much cheaper than $40 a match. I can afford the $40. But it's a "speed bump". The classifier rule is probably more limiting to me.

I can only recommend you get a membership, since it is the "rules". However, I wouldn't think that a MD would DQ you from a local match. At some point, the MD may ask you to join before coming back, none of that $40 dues comes back to the local club anyway. I think that would mostly depend on the scoring, whether it is being uploaded into the IDPA website. If it is, you might be asked why you haven't paid for your membership.

So your local club won't let you participate if your not a member? Thats kinda weird... Is there maybe another local IDPA game within reasonable driving distance in your area?

The rules in the book are pretty clear. If you want to shoot more than one match, you have to join IDPA. To do otherwise is a match DQ.

I shoot USPSA now. I'm holding off on joining until I can start shooting 40% classifiers. I shoot about 60% of the Production winners for whole matches. But I'm still shooting in the 20s for classifiers. As to that many shots with a revolver, if I'm going to shoot USPSA revolver with a 6 gun, I am going major. 30+ rounds of 357 mag in a minute or so doesn't sound like fun.

This post here and one on the main IDPA forums are a thinly veiled move to get them to make the rules more part time friendly.

If you want to shoot USPSA, with a revolver. 8 shot minor is the best way to go IMO. Those 32 round stages with 8 shot arrys aren't nearly as scary with a 8 shot gun. And 135 pf 38's can be shot all day and is very easy on the wrists. Then you don't have to worry about shooting IDPA or how much there membership is.

I agree with Racinready, if you haven't already bought a revolver buy a used 627, IMO, they will be getting very inexpensive now that the 929 is hitting the shelves. Then just continue USPSA. I think shooting an 8 shot revolver would be FUN.

CAll or email the match director and ask if they really enforce the "only one match" rule. Most that I have heard of don't. They might not publish scores for non-members or something but they don't usually ban you from shooting the match.

I agree with Racinready, if you haven't already bought a revolver buy a used 627, IMO, they will be getting very inexpensive now that the 929 is hitting the shelves. Then just continue USPSA. I think shooting an 8 shot revolver would be FUN.

Don't hold you breath waiting to see a flood of 929's "hitting the shelves". If somebody is aware of "very inexpensive" 627's floating around, please do share.

And yes, 8-shot moonclipped revolvers are indeed very fun to play with!

John

Edited by johnmac

Maybe I'm mis-reading the rule book:

IDPA Shooter Responsibilities and Code of Conduct
By shooting IDPA Matches, I agree to the following:
I will maintain a current IDPA membership after my first match.
I will maintain an accurate Classification by shooting a Classifier at least every 12 months. (Unless a
Master or Distinguished Master Classification is attained, or a Match Performance Promotion has
occurred in the
last 12 months.)
Disqualification (DQ): A shooter must be disqualified for the following reasons:
5.6.1. Unsafe firearm handling as defined in the Safety Rules Section.
5.6.2. Receiving more than one FTDR during a single match.
5.6.3. Unsportsmanlike conduct
5.6.4. Violations of the Shooter’s Code of Conduct
I can reload 9mm for 12 cents a round. So I can shoot much cheaper than $40 a match. I can afford the $40. But it's a "speed bump". The classifier rule is probably more limiting to me.

if your going off 5.6.4 you'd DQ half the field for the 1 time they didn't run out to paste targets.

I would never DQ you for not being a member. As little as you are talking about shooting IDPA, I wouldn't sweat it, just go shoot it. The only time it has been brought up amongst us MD and aMD is when we have regular shooter 10-15+ matches per year that haven't joined.

Ask the MD about the classifier requirement for HIS club matches and your desire to shoot revo. You mention it's a local club and about having variety. I think this opportunity to shoot is worth investigating.

IDPA is fun with a rotary dispenser and you may find 2 matches a year might be an underestimation, at least I hope so. Most stages are around 12 rounds making everyone have at least one reload. This levels the playing field and beating a good number of the auto shooters is easy. Shooting without makeups is great for shot calling discipline, you develop the habit of making every shot count.

The other revo shooters will thank you. You might inspire some others to dust off their six shooters too.

DNH

Edited by daves_not_here

What's the point in having a rule book in the first place if the match director doesn't want to follow every rule in it?

Thank you!

It doesn't seem to matter what the game is, some people would rather argue about the rules than shoot the game according to the rules.

Once more I say sincerely, it is not my place to enforce rules (or to help make them), but they are written down for all to see. I am truthfully saying that I am not trying to be a wise ass, but darn it if you don't like the game, play another game. It is almost (no...it is) like bitching is the national pass time.

$40 is not a sum worth all these words. The rules are what they are. No one is required to play. Were things this complicated before the internet and I just did not know it ?

What's the point in having a rule book in the first place if the match director doesn't want to follow every rule in it?

Thank you!

It doesn't seem to matter what the game is, some people would rather argue about the rules than shoot the game according to the rules.

Once more I say sincerely, it is not my place to enforce rules (or to help make them), but they are written down for all to see. I am truthfully saying that I am not trying to be a wise ass, but darn it if you don't like the game, play another game. It is almost (no...it is) like bitching is the national pass time.

$40 is not a sum worth all these words. The rules are what they are. No one is required to play. Were things this complicated before the internet and I just did not know it ?

This!