Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Revolver ???

hopalong

underlug:

The IDPA position on the model 625 was well known before the current rulebook came out. Wilson made it clear the clip guns should have never been allowed (new division now) and he also made it clear a 610 or 625 isn't considered a common carry gun. Eliminating the N-Frame with a weight restriction should come as no suprise to anyone.

As for revolvers, well I shot one for 30 plus years before USPSA and I love the things. But as a newbie to the bottom feeders, and Open guns in particular, I just can't make myself shoot a wheelgun (for now). As Rockwell can tell you, I usually end up BSing with the wheelgunners at a match even though I have an Open blaster on my hip. I do the same thing at Steel Challenge matches. :wacko: No doubt about it, the wheelgunners are really good folks.

I ask myself "Why" an awful lot. Main reason is I learned on a revolver, I have carried one for years, and whenever I switch to a semiauto, I start to pick up bad habits. I guess it is the bad company or something ;)

Shooting revolver in IDPA and USPSA was always fun even when I was the only one.

I will stick with it I guess, too late to change now.

BTW, MIKE we have no pin shoots here but I am trying to start some up. Please e mail me so I can get some info. Round_Gun_Shooter@comcast.net

Regards,

Gary

Bill doesn't think the 610 or 625's are common carry guns? But a G34s/35s are? :huh:

I went to Wilson's page today, do they not seel a wheel gun any more? I recall they once did...and it was nice. Very pricey for a Model 66 (my recollection on the model), but certainly nice.

Guys / gals who shoot really, really well, are a blast to watch. Those who can really run a wheel gun? Amazing to watch.

I have to go along with the great folks part of the Revo shooters. Did the IRC last year and since then I have been using local IPSC matches for IRC practice, Revo only shooters are so much nicer to be around <_<

The skill involved is also a big motivator, if it wasn't hard then more people would

be doing it B) DaveP

Why do I shoot a wheel gun...

1) I wore one for quite a few years. The primary handgun for the first 20 years of my law enforcement career was a wheel gun. (assorted S&W's, and a Ruger)

Let's say there is a certain level of attachment.

2) After trying Bullseye, my next competition interest was PPC. The winning gun of the time was a bull barrelled, BoMar ribbed, wheelgun. Autoloaders were not even considered as an alternative. (some matches would not even allow them on the premises) If you didn't want to go full custom, a 6" barrelled S&W K-38, S&W Model 19, Colt Python, or a Ruger Security-Six would enable you to be competitive.

3) even when I first tried USPSA/IPSC, I still used a revolver for a long time. Full power .357 magnums in a 4" barrelled revolver will make major, and did get you noticed.

Yes, I confess. I have sinned I do use autoloaders. I love 1911's, Lugers, Walther's P-38's and PPK's. For most of the time I've used an autoloader in IPSC and IDPA. My Ruger .22 Competition Model pistol is extremely accurate for bullseye work. During the last 9 years I've carried assorted S&W, Ruger and Sig autoloaders while on the job.

BUT...I have a lot of FUN with a wheel gun. Last year I went to a revolver at the Buckeye Blast and Area 5. The fun factor was huge. I tried a revolver for Bianchi Cup matches, in metallic sight, and was quite happy with the results.

So, I like to shoot revolvers, and that's a good enough reason for me. :rolleyes:

Besides, if I travel a long ways to shoot a match, I want to spend all the time I can on the range, and if you've seen my times with a revolver, lets just say I get my $$$$$ worth of range time.

I love my 625's. I own 5 of them and they are set up for different games (ICORE, Steel, Pins, IDPA...etc) I love going to a match and someone says, "shooting a revolver ha....can't be real competitive with that". Then when the scores are posted having won one or two stages makes my day and has the bottom feeders all scratching their heads saying WTF. I have been shooting the 625 in competition for 15+ years now and wouldn't have it any other way! Plus like all the others I hate to bend and pick up brass. 2-3 moonclips and I'm done!! I think it is a shame that IDPA is driving the revolver shooters out of the sport. As a big guy I could easily conceal a 5" 625 or a full size 1911. When they changed the rule to 4" it gave me a reason to buy another 625 but I'll be damn if I'm going to go buy an 8 shot to shoot ESR to be competitive. Time to go back to the old games I like to shoot but never had time with all the IDPA matches in the area. I'm to old to learn to count to 8. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I also am redhaired....and was a stepchild....hhmmmmm.....

Like a lot of you, I love shooting the round guns because they are fun....not to mention when you beat a lot of the autos......I have even finished in the top 2 in a lot of stages that are pure speedshoots.....that is fun.

I usually only shoot IDPA, and I use a 625 for that....when the new rules came out I was at first upset....but then I got to thinking...the 625 loads faster than an 8shot revo, the 45acp will shoot softer than a 165pf 38 load, and the courses are still 6-shot revolver neutral.....hhmmmmm....don't see a problem there.

I would love to shoot ICORE but we have no opportunity down here in south Florida......so maybe this year I might have to go back and shoot IPSC once in awhile....started shooting that in '79 and have been a life member since '85....shot with a 2 1/2" 66 once in awhile for fun...of course that was back when IPSC was what IDPA is now....more practical.....

What did ever happen to pin shooting? Did the demise of Second Chance matches make it not relative anymore? Or did the accumulation of pins become harder? Down here I know that most bowling centers stopped giving us the old pins.....maybe we need to invent something similar with a material that is more durable for longer target life?

Anyway, I am done rambling.....8.yr old wants to go fishing....

Frank

........... Because to shoot WELL with a revolver it is NOT for everyone .... you have to feel the "revo-feeling" ...... :wub:

The wheelgunner it is a very strange shooter, ...... for example: last time in our Shooting Range, a member of my Club was shooting plates with a Glock17 ..... no bad .... but .... B) .... when i made a couple of strings with my 627-8 times , the only thing he said was:

".... it's impossible .... that you can do this with a revolver, shooting in double-action (???) ...... "

:lol: .... we love revolver shooting, for this little things ... too.

I see that a lot also. Other shooters saying you shouldn't be able to do that with a revolver. What they really mean is, they can't do it or they have never tried. Many say they feel sorry for us because the stage is hard for a revolver. The fact that something was hard never deterred me from doing it. It has just the opposite effect.

A major reason I like shooting revolver, beside the satisfaction derived therefrom, is that I can pick up any other handgun and shoot reasonably with it if I have kept up on my revolver shooting. When I shot primarily 1911, the extra work on the trigger of even a Glock, much less a double action piece, gave me trouble. I had the pleasure yesterday of breaking out old flatsides and keeping everything A zone on the IPSC target out to 25 yards. The 1911 lost out to my new (to me) 25-2 today. Shooting double action revolver is a confidence builder for me.

I'm going to shoot revolver and single-stack 45 in USPSA.

Why a revolver? Because stroking the trigger of a DA revolver (with a smooth action) just feels good. Shooting a DA revolver fast and accurately is a skill to be proud of IMO and it's good training for other pistols as well. I'll be shooting minor loads (38+P) with a model 13 S&W. The challenge will be carrying 6-8 speedloaders and a holster on my right side. Any suggestions?

1911user,

Welcome to the forums :)

start at the holster and go left until it is uncomfortable getting your speed loaders with your right hand. (that should get you around 6)

then put 1 or 2 behind your holster, these will be Insurance loaders and hopefully you will never have to need them unless you charge the gun with them.

Hope that helps.

Hopalong

Hi 1911 shooter. Welcome aboard. Good to have another revolver guy here :)

Why will you wear all the stuff on your right side? Are you right handed? If so, I'd put the holster on the right side and the speedloaders from the left side towards the holster.

Spook,

1911 uses "Jerry's" style of reloading evidently, thus you being the way you reload are "Backwards" :lol::lol::lol:

BUT I will take a 1.29 Backwards reload....... sure beats the hell out of my 1.90 +/-

(these are standing still times by the way)....

Getting ready for Florida Open, will get to shoot an Alligator ????? :D

Agian welcome to the forums 1911user...

Hopalong

Ah, I see...thanks for clearing that up Hop :) It crossed my mind, but I thought that reloading Jerry-style with speedloaders would be quite a hassle. Hehe, and that 1.23 reload must have been a fluke, right? :D Guess I'l find out next weekend. I haven't shot a revo since last week and the last time before that was before Christmas :(

Time to get back in the saddle

i have faith in you Spook ( speaking about your reloads ). i know it can be done. i've nailed it a couple of times myself ( i mean only a couple of times). So get back out there and make us "PROUD". (lol)

Thanks for the welcome. I shot double action 357's exclusively from 1990 to 1998 before buying a 1911A1 (and selling my SP101 :o). I have been revolverless since that time, but corrected the mistake last weekend (....kept the 1911A1 :D). I found a good deal on a parkerized model 13 S&W with a 4 inch barrel. It WAS just going to be a fun gun and used for dry fire practice, but I like challenges so I'll shoot it in USPSA at some small matches and see what develops.

I've got a dozen safariland C2 speedloaders and a couple of grips (pachmayr pro and hogue monogrip) coming from an ebay auction. The stock grips are blisters waiting to happen and I've use the pachmayr pro grip before. My old Dillon 450 press has almost completed it's transformation into a 550 so ammo should be available in a few weeks; the 1911A1 is hungry also. I kept all of the 38/357 brass, dies, bullets, molds, etc. knowing someday I'd return to my roots :D

About reloading, yes, in the past I transfered the revolver to my left hand for ejecting empty cases. It seems faster and allows the holster and speedloader pouches to be on the same side (nice for concealment). I'll try both methods again then see what is most comfortable, consistent, and fastest for reloading quickly. The safariland C2s may be different enough from the previous HKS speedloaders that I'll change techniques.

The safariland C2s may be different enough from the previous HKS speedloaders that I'll change techniques.

They are. I use HKS, since there aren't any Safariland made (anymore) for my M57. :) With the Comp 2s, you don't have to locate the cylinder with your left hand so it doesn't turn when you twist the knob like you do on the HKS, you can hold the empty gun in your right hand and push the Comp 2 in.

i have faith in you Spook ( speaking about your reloads ). i know it can be done. i've nailed it a couple of times myself ( i mean only a couple of times). So get back out there and make us "PROUD". (lol)

:D;)