Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Revolver ???

hopalong

I was looking at the L-10 thread that is going on about single stack vs. double stack and came up with this question.

Why do you shoot Revolver instead of some kind of auto ???

I am really going to let the cat out of the bag here on my own question but here goes....

I started shooting Autos (Limited Division) and shot in it for 3 years and change...

When I made it to B class Limited but could only be in the middle of the pack at a match but started shooting good classifiers instead of Sandbagging I put it down and started shooting the revolver which had always intrigued me (had a GP 100 that I shot in IDPA and did pretty good with)

Now 1 year and change later I have deciced that this gun is really fun to shoot, Challenging is an UNDERSTATEMENT and now know that real dedication to shooting is required to get good (NOT GREAT) with one of these things.

PLUS shooting the limited gun is boring now, usually only 1 reload in an entire stage....... come on where is the challenge to that??? :lol:

So lets hear it, what makes you shoot OLD GUN ????

HOPALONG

Hey Hop,

I shoot Revos because of the people. Revolver Shooters share a certain comraderie. I guess because we are all treated as red headed step children by USPSA. And in the early days of "Combat Pistol", usually steel matches, the Revovlver could hang with the autos of the day. Usually the Government Model 45. In the Match we shot you could shoot both in one match. And at the end of the match the best Revolver Time shot against the best Auto Time man on man for the Best of Day. Winner got a small pin. This pin evolved into the Mouse pin which simply said "I Won" The shoot of was four shots and had a sequence to them. Usually the inside target, outside target, middle target, then the knockdown targets. The target on the bottom of the knockdown determined the winner. After a number of years of shooting it was just about even with the number of wins Auto vs Revo. B)

For me it part of it was cost, when you just start out I real did not want to sink lots of money into a hobby, but the challenge is ADDICTING, and it is hard to do well, as for the money well what the wife does not know can't hurt me :D

Anoth factor for me is when I was learning how to shoot a hand gun from my Father it was a Smith and Wesson model 19 that I could barly pull the trigger on. So when I was looking at something fun to do I seemed to go back to a revo.

Sam,

Like Bubber said-it's the people.

I'm redheaded and shoot revolver...hmmm.

In my limited USPSA experience, the revolver shooters always find each other and BS at a match. Most of us are a bit older than the average bottom feeder shooter and tend to be doing this more for fun (my opinion) than other goals.

And, of course, the wheelguns have heart :o

Dave

I shoot IDPA rather than USPSA revolver (I shoot Production in USPSA), and I like it because the guns are cool, and there's a bit of reverse snobbery in there too. I tend to like retro things...my newest design autoloader is a Beretta 92. My only moon clip gun is a Ordnance-marked 1917. Besides, it's nice to know that my ex-cop M10 will outshoot most 1911s.

I developed my affinity for the revolver back during the heyday of the bowling pin shooting circuit. At the upper levels, pin-shooting had become completely revolver-neutral (if you were using more than six rounds to clear the table, you were screwed anyway). Plus I found that my timing was better with the smooth rolling action of the wheelgun. Never found anything that worked any better for the "main event" in pin-shooting than my 8-3/8" S&W 27 loaded with 230-gr. bullets at 1000 fps. I'd still happily pay to play heads-up with anyone (shooting any sort of handgun) with that old revolver.

Second Chance used to attract 500 shooters. Unfortunately now, other than a select group of die-hards in eastern PA who have kept pin-shooting on life-support, the sport is just about dead.

Hi, my name is Tom and I am a revolver addict, the last time I touched a revolver was.... I'm sorry thats my Tuesday night class.

The people, hands down the people.

I like having people look at me like I am some freak with this contraption hanging off my hip.

I like seeing my name in the top 10 of our local match every month, beating bottom feeders rules.

Being left handed the revolver is much more natural for me to shoot than a 1911.

I am to cheap to keep buying 45 brass.

Tom Mainus

Good question. Right now I'm sure a lot of the IDPA revolver shooters are asking the same question. I like revolvers because they are harder to shoot, harder to reload, and I don't have to pick up my brass. The revolver shooters are real good bunch of people. They seem to enjoy their guns in a different way from the other shooters.

Skip

I enjoy the comments you get from the peanut gallery. My favorite is, "Put that timer up and get the hour glass out!!!"

That's ok though, I alternate between the bottom feeder and BRT and when I shoot the revolver, I shoot it because it's fun.

Besides, with a wheel gun you have alot more time to talk to yourself and the RO during all those standing reloads :o

dj

Besides, with a wheel gun you have alot more time to talk to yourself and the RO during all those standing reloads :o

dj

:lol::lol::lol: - standing reloads, no doubt. I've gotten tons of practice in USPSA! (revolver purgatory).

I started out shooting it because some sicko dared me...gotta love brother-in-laws!

That was three years ago and I have been an avid revo guy ever since. There is something challenging about it and when you get better and beat autos I think it is more gratifying. It is hard, and not everyone can do it. To do it well in a group builds respect and admiration...and we all crave a bit of it now and then. :)

...and becasue Bill is my hero :D

...and becasue Bill is my hero :D

Hey, you really can fool some of the people all of the time. :rolleyes:

Bill Nesbitt

:blink:

:lol: They fooled me into thinking I could shoot my 625 in SSR EX this year! Good thing I haven't mailed applications to two majors already - :angry:

Let's see, I'm thinking Ohio Sectional, Area 8, Area 5 so far. :D

I'll wait and see about what I sign up for in IDPA. :angry:

Bill Nesbitt

HEY, you might be onto something....I was lamenting that I wasn't going to shoot Area 5 since they scheduled it at the same time as the IDPA Nationals....might have to rethink my plans now....

Sorry for the thread-drift - rant mode has been in overdrive after the new rule book came out!

Jokes on me again. Two weeks ago I joined IDPA to shoot a 625 I got just for that purpose. This is almost as good as allowing 8 shot revolvers in production and then raising the shots per position to 9. Do the folks in charge just like ****ing with revolver shooters, or what? It can't be revolver folk making these decisions. Do we pay these people?

RedMist10

LOVE the new Avatar :wub:

HOP

Dennis,

If you are talking to yourself AND the RO at the same time as reloading you are using way too much time reloading, you could use that time to talk to the PEANUT gallery too. :lol:

For me it part of it was cost, when you just start out I real did not want to sink lots of money into a hobby, but the challenge is ADDICTING

That was also the reason for me. Plus the fact that dry firing with a revo is more fun IMO. Triggerpull is always the same, plus you "have" to practice reloads a lot. I love the fact that I won a good deal of big matches last year while firing about 9,000 or 10,000 rounds :)

Oh yeah, and the guns look sooooo cool :D

1. It is fun and pretty challenging as most matches are built for flatgunning.

2. Wheelgunners are mostly very humble and laid back in comparison. In other words: I like the people shooting wheelguns.

3. And as spook said, revos look cool. :D