Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best red-dot for open class shotgun

Well, that is pretty much my question. I have a Fastfire III laying around, but I have heard that they don't last on a scattergun. I will be machining a mounting pad into the rear of the receiver, so I can co-witness with the rib and keep a good cheek weld on the stock. What stands up to the recoil of an inertia shotgun?

I use aimpoints, mostly micros, on everything except handguns. Theyve seen quite a bit of use and abuse and no issues so far.

However, I do replace the batteries every two-three years as I always leave them on.

• 2 weeks later...

I used a FFII on my shotguns till I switched to the Aimpoint H1. 3 years and I have not changed the battery yet and it is not affected by water on the lens like reflex sights. Crisp, bright, highly adjustable dot, I love the H1.

Doug

I have an $88 Bushnell Trophy TRS-25 on my JM Pro. It has worked fine for nearly two years and maintains its zero. These are shotguns for Pete's sake. Is a $400+ red dot really necessary?

Depends on what you use the SG for.

You pay a $250.00 match fee, + travel, + ammo. and your $80.00 sight quits . . . . . .

That being said , I have several customers who have the TRS-25 on their MKA and have good luck, I have no idea how many rounds they shoot though.

My XPS has been on for many years, I think it was put on the 2nd year they came out. I have no idea how many thousands of rounds it has seen

I run a Trijicon Rx-30 which is the big 42mm lense reflex and 6.5 moa dot. I like it for no battery but it has issues if your shooting from a dark space to light. ie. Tobacco barn at Blue Ridge.

Then the dot disappears and the tritium is not bright enough.

For the last month of so I've run an eotech and I really like the layout. Bascially anything inside the 65 moa ring gets destroyed. (Start loading the trigger as soon as the target starts into the ring) and the 1 moa dot is great for precise slugs.

I have a decision to make.

A very good and combat proven, red dot, that is the same relative size as the fastfire, delta point genre of sights is made by the "originator" of of those sights. SHIELD MINI SIGHT from the UK, This sight is currently in use by British SF forces.

They are very tough sights, come in a variety of dot sizes and armoured mounts to protect the sight from abuse.

James White is the contact point, james@shieldpsd.com

Trapr

don't know if it will be the best ,just what i have on everything .

attachicon.gifstoeger cmore.jpg

Same here. I have a plastic body C-More on my MKA 1919 and its got well over 2000 rds through it now.

Just picked up an aluminum body C-More to replace it. Just a little insurance for when I get a little rougher than planned putting the gun in the barrel.

Bill

I've been shooting open class for a couple of years now and i was initially running an open benelli with a jp dot, have never had an issue with this dot set up.

I decided last year to get an akdal mka. first i put on an aluminum cmore, the electronics went out on that. i tried another cmore that one broke too. then i tried a doctor optic that i had, that wouldn't hold zero. I tried a couple more scopes until i got to the trijicon rmr. this seems to be the only red dot (that I've tried) to hold up to that shotgun so far. what a can of worms i opened! buy something that will hold up, we are doing things that shotguns weren't meant to do. moral to the story shoot tac scope!

Edited by naim

moral to the story shoot tac scope!

Hah! Where's the fun in that?

Interesting that you had your C-more's die on you though. Any chance your shoots have a high slug count?

I picked up a spare C-more, only to discover it's missing a windage locking screw (here's hoping I didn't get a fake) and have been trying to decide what to put it on while I wait for a replacement.

The Razor-Mka1919 combo did great in parma, but there was one morning stage that involved shooting directly into the sun (aka: the-longest-range-bonus-target) where I could have used a brighter dot.

I'm a fan of the deltapoint with the 7.5 triangle. I currently use an eotech and I'm waiting for the new deltapoint to come out to upgrade. Eotech has held up for over a year now just need to change the battery zinc sit started to get a little dim. Another open shooter here has run a deltapoint for about three years now without issue, aside from having to re-zero when he changed out the battery. Which is why I'm waiting for the new version to upgrade then hopefully I'll be able to run a deltapoint on all three of my guns. Consistency is always a bonus.