Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mag Feeding Question

nhglyn

Just a quick question......

Should I rub a silicon cloth on the inside of my mag tubes? Will that help them feed better? Or, will it attract dirt etc and make things worse? Should I just rub it on the followers? Many thanks.

You will get varying opinions on this, but the best answer is "it depends". I prefer to just keep mine dry and clean. If you are going to do this, then you will need to make an effort to keep them clean. I have only taken my basepads off once in the past year, and it really didn't need it then. If your mags run and feed, leave them alone (except for keeping them clean which is really easy). If they don't, all the lube in the world isn't the answer. Bob Londrigan, Benny Hill, Bevin Grams, & Dave Dawson all have a good track record at getting mags to run. I put my mags together and they have always ran. FWIW.

I used to spray all kinds of differents lubes in the magazines until I started using the new Grams spring/followers. Since I started using the new followers I just keep the inside of the tubes clean and have had zero malfunctions. You might want to use a solvent to clean the inside of the tubes every once in a while - just keep it off the pads and follower. It's been a year and I am thinking about changing the springs - thats it.

nhglyn,

Simple answer, Yes. It will enhance function, no matter what. While in theroy, the lube will attract dirt, but in the shooting sports we shoot, we can bag our equipment when the wind blows, and I clean every mag that hits the ground anyway. Another plus, if the mag, spring, and follower are lubed, powder residue will not stick, and there will be no need for cleaning chemicals.

Another plus, if the mag, spring, and follower are lubed, powder residue will not stick, and there will be no need for cleaning chemicals.

What kind of lube to you prefer?

The guys I have seen are spraying STP silicone spray inside the mag tube and coating all of their rounds with it before loading the mags.

Our range is mesa sand. The mags drop to the ground, you pretty much have to break them down and clean out the sand for each stage.

I use a silicon impregnated cloth after I run the brush through them.

I have Beven's 2nd generation followers and springs. They are the best!

I think Uncle Bob's Grams followers don't stick because he did a better job of polishing the insides than most of us do. My mags with Grams followers feed *dramatically* better with the addition of silicone spray. So much better that I keep a can of it in the ol' shooting bag. I don't think the silicone attracts too much dust either.

I guess someday I'll get off my duff and give my mags the proper polish treatment. Until then a $3 can of mag juju works.

I think Uncle Bob's Grams followers don't stick because he did a better job of polishing the insides than most of us do. My mags with Grams followers feed *dramatically* better with the addition of silicone spray. So much better that I keep a can of it in the ol' shooting bag. I don't think the silicone attracts too much dust either.

I guess someday I'll get off my duff and give my mags the proper polish treatment. Until then a $3 can of mag juju works.

Is that bottle of spray underneath the sink installed in that big brown bag? How would you find your lost children, let alone a can of spray in that monstro bag??

Rockwell,

I use a product called "One Lube" by Slick 50. It is an aresal can, that I spray onto a cotton rag. I do not spray directly into the mag. This applies way too much lube. The rag is saturated with lube, and pulls out any dust or dirt when I push it thru the tube. I wipe off the spring and follower. If the parts are really dirty, pre wipe with another rag first or use a brush like Mistral404 suggested. Any kind of lube will work as long as it does not dry and get sticky or tacky. Silicon or "Wet Teflon" (PTFE) based lubes work this way. Dry lubes do not work as it will build up and turn into a grease like substance when gun oil or sweat from your hands gets into the mag.

Eye Cutter,

Armor-all gets sticky when it dries. Test it. Spray what ever lube you have on a metal surface, and let is sit there for a few days. If it stays wet, doesn't get sticky or tacky, then it will work for a good mag lube.

I've used powdered locksmiths graphite in my mags for a long time. Rub it onto followers and distribute a small amount around the inside of the tube. Super-slippery and no chance of attracting dirt.

Ok

I'll fess up. I have always used silicone spray because I saw Jerry B use it on his mags the year I started and I then folllowup with a light powder of graphite after it dries because I saw TGO or someone like that use it.

The earlier post that said that they knew people who siliconed ammo. I would NOT recommend that at all.

The earlier post that said that they knew people who siliconed ammo. I would NOT recommend that at all.

Why? What could it possibly hurt?

I think that person is Todd Jarrett if I recall correctly?

Beven- Thanks! :D

The silicone that I seen being applied to ammo was done by using a saturated rag. I haven't tried it yet so I don't know that much about it.

i use second gen gramms springs and followers on sv tubes. when i drop them on a match i remove the basepad and pass a cloth through the tube to remove the dust/dirt.

i then wipe the follower and/or spring if its dirty.

no oils or silicone and it works perfectly

though once in a while i drop a drop of militec of fp10 on a rag and pass the area on the entire length of the spring to coat it. prevents it from rusting since its humid in my country.

Before a match put silicone on your loaded ammo.

What works best is BLACK MAGIC TIRE WET

Yes the stuff you buy at Wal-Mart. To make sure you get the right thing it’s a clear silicone, and open

The bottle, it should smell like cherries. Use a towel or rag ( not the towel your wife has hanging in the kitchen),

Been there and done that, spray the rag with the silicone, until damp , and holding the rag drop a handful

Of ammo in the rag and scrunch. The rounds will come out feeling a little slick. Then load mags as normal, this

Lubes the ammo for better feeding and lubes the mags at the same time. Learned this trick 2 years ago and have had

No feeding or mag problems since.

Credit for the tip has to go to Jimmy Mitchell , and Todd Jarrett.

Guest Larry Cazes

I dont have feed problems with either my 140mm or 170mm .38 mags or my 140mm .40s. I keep them dry and clean and steer clear of any lube inside. I did, though, polish the feed lips and insides of the tubes using a Dremel wheel and Flitz polish. I just run a clean rag through them to keep them clean during matches. If you need it, though, I cant see how DRY lubes like graphite could cause any problems.

Per Bevan's advice I run a silicone cloth through the inside of my mags. I clean them periodically, I clean them everytime immediately after one of them hits the ground.

I have been using powdered graphite for years. Back in 95 or 96 a gunsmith in Missouri named Bob, cant remeber his last name, showed me this trick and I have done it ever since. It actually imbeds in the metal of the mags and spring. Makes a world of difference. I only have to treat mine about twice a year now and I hardly ever clean magazines. The graphite doesnt let any dirt stick in the mags. Unless they get wet & muddy. then they need to be cleaned and retreated.

I just squirt a littel in the mag holes on the side until I see it trickle out around the follower. Holding the mag upside down. I get mine at any autoparts store. about 1.49 a tube.