Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Interesting Letter

Match Fees on the rise. Why?

As I continue into the 2014 shooting season I am being forced to prune several matches that were staples of the schedule for this year, and possibly the future. I understand that there is this thing called inflation, but in the shooting sports I am finding prices rising where they are unjustified. Let’s take a look at one area in particular, IDPA Sanctioned matches. Now let it be said before things get out of hand that I am not singling out anyone club in particular, rather just discussing a topic in general. In the past few years it has been the acceptable norm to charge anywhere from $70.00 to $85.00 for a shooter to shoot a sanctioned match. To the current time I am seeing many more clubs charging Fees in the $100.00 and up range.

For me this is where I have to draw the line for participating in a sanctioned event, and start looking at total investment vs. the return on my investment. Speaking for the newer shooters in general who may be in their first 2 to 3 years of IDPA competition, there are several things that inflation has already hit very hard that are required to participate in these sanctioned events. Some of the higher noted items are ammunition, fuel, and lodging. These items alone become an issue when considering shooting a match, and then you tack on another $100.00 per person for the match fee. This starts to make this a very expensive event.

Again, not to take away anything from the clubs holding the events, but the average shooter is not going to see a great difference between a local match and a sanctioned match outside of a free t-shirt and possible a free lunch. Yes there will be more stages, and a higher round count (which also adds to the expense) and possibly a higher degree of difficulty within the stages. Then you need to factor in the new IDPA rules regarding awards. In the past, it was 1 award per every 3 shooters entered in a given division. So if you finished 7th in SSP, which is normally the most popular division, you stood a chance at getting an award. Not that it is a big deal to be recognized for 7th place, but it is something that added to the shooters value of the match. This year that has been taken away, by a rule change limiting the awards to one per every 5 shooters.

The north east region of the country has always been known for doing a good job of making sanctioned events available to the shooters, and the clubs continue to carry that tradition on. I would just like to see either a reduction in the match fees, or the clubs become more creative in providing a supportive explanation for the higher fees, to make the shooters return on investment a little better. We know that this sport is run on a volunteer basis and that paychecks are not issued to any staff or MD by the club for running a match.

In closing let’s put out a message to our shooters that we want them to participate and that as a club the focus should be on filling all of your available shooting slots, not on trying to dig deeper into the shooters pocket to increase the bottom line for the club.

Thank You!

Anonymous Shooter

From what i have been able to dig up I think IDPA sanctioned matches are kind of big. More than a local I think. From what I have gathered most if not all local matches are not sanctioned.

Edited by Sarge

I think 'sanctioned' in IDPA-speak is more like 'level II +' in uspsa-speak, but I've only shot 1 big idpa match, which cost $50 and was well worth it.

Other than that, i'm not sure what to say on this topic. We only pay $7-8 for local uspsa matches (about the same for idpa), and anywhere from $60-80 for the sectional matches I've attended. Area 1 was $150 entry, and on top of that I spent $150 on lodging, $200-ish on gas and almost $2k on wine, plus some fancy dinners out with the wife. For me, uspsa match fees are not a big issue yet.

For the anonymous letter-writer, my advice would be to volunteer to work a few matches and stop whining. Working a match will often mean you shoot it for free, and it will allow you to appreciate all the work that goes into putting one on. I find that I really enjoy the matches I attend as a consumer more since I started working some big matches. Makes me appreciate just being able to show up and shoot.

I don't necessarily see the pricing listed as un-realistic, that seems pretty normal pricing for the past 3 years or so. The term sanctioned match is generally used for "bigger" IDPA matches (Tier 2 and up), not local matches. I believe the matches referred to in this letter are Tier 2 & 3 matches. Depending on the complexity of the match, $75-100 is normal. With the new rules they are using "Tiers" to describe match levels.

Without quoting the IDPA rule book

Tier 1 - local match - ~6 COF (~$10 per match) 20-40 shooters

Tier 2 - regional match - ~8-10 COF (~$60 - 90 per match) 80-120 shooters

Tier 3 - state championship - ~12-14 COF (~$90 - 120 per match) 120-160 shooters

Tier 4 - multi-state style matches - ~14+ COF - 200+ shooters

Tier 5 - national championship style matches - 250+ shooters

Other than that, i'm not sure what to say on this topic. We only pay $7-8 for local uspsa matches (about the same for idpa), and anywhere from $60-80 for the sectional matches I've attended. Area 1 was $150 entry, and on top of that I spent $150 on lodging, $200-ish on gas and almost $2k on wine, plus some fancy dinners out with the wife. For me, uspsa match fees are not a big issue yet.

Where do you only pay $7-8 for a local USPSA match? The local matches around here are 20....

Regardless of the sanctioning body (IDPA or USPSA) Match Directors for major matches need to put their match fee into perspective of the product they are delivering. Over the last couple of years I have seen several level II USPSA matches with $150+ match fee's that produce a "Product" that is more in line with a $75 - $100 entry fee event. You may be able to get away with a bait & switch like that once, but don't whine about low attendance the next time you host a major match. Consumers usually don't voice their opinions publicly or privately, they simply show their displeasure by not attending the event in the future. I am choosing to not attend a couple of these events with a poor match fee vs product delivered track record in 2015 for this exact reason.

When a match has a $150+ entry fee, at a bare minimum I expect.....

(1) Solidly designed stages that are built using quality props.

(2) Standing RO's on every stage that actually know what they are doing.

(3) Lunch included on the day(s) the competitors are shooting.

(4) A printed match book containing the stages, schedule, and match details

(5) Broad trophy/awards recognition for the competitors based on the level of division/classification/category participation.

(6) Match T-Shirt or other match memento included in the match fee.

(7) A solid prize table containing donated and purchased prizes.

If these 7 fundamental match product "Features" are not present in a major match with a $150+ price tag, then someone is either wasting a crap ton of money, or they are making a crap ton of profit. Especially when the participation gets to 200+ competitors. I am not saying that clubs hosting major matches shouldn't make a profit, they should. If there is no profit, then the match fee income is being wasted excessively somewhere. If there is too much profit, then the match fee is too high verses the level product you are delivering.

Edited by CHA-LEE

Where do you only pay $7-8 for a local USPSA match? The local matches around here are 20....

Idaho. we also sometimes travel to a match in eastern oregon that is $15 IIRC. That's pretty painful. I guess they must have higher taxes in oregon or something.

I got to agree with CHA-LEE on this. As I get older and costs become increasingly burdensome, I am careful in my match picks.

I expect some things at the higher price level and just won't attend otherwise.

Luckily, here in Indiana the normal cost for a 5-6 stage match is $20 and they are all good matches. Our level 2's and higher are the absolute best in the country. Worth every penny.

For those looking for a nationals warmup, our state match is 18 stages this year and just a stones throw from Louisville, KY. The price is perfect I might add.

Edited by Chris iliff

The cheapest local match I attend is 15 bucks,next is 18 ,one is 20 but they do serve lunch after the match and supply drinks all day.

The problem is GAS,,I have to travel from 1 1/2 hours up to 3 hours for the local matches.I do shoot with one other guy and we split expense .The SC state match I shoot is always a super match,and sometime I Win a little bitt..

The cheapest local match I attend is 15 bucks,next is 18 ,one is 20 but they do serve lunch after the match and supply drinks all day.

The problem is GAS,,I have to travel from 1 1/2 hours up to 3 hours for the local matches.I do shoot with one other guy and we split expense .The SC state match I shoot is always a super match,and sometime I Win a little bitt..

Yeah, gas can be killer. Easily the most expensive part of the whole match.

I'd love to do that but haven't seen an RO course being offered anywhere close to central FL since I don't know how long .....?

There's plenty of work that can be done at a match that doesn't require you to have an RO card. Regarding an RO class contact Jay Corn and see what he can do as the area 6 director about getting something setup. I know there's one coming up in August in North Carolina that I'll be going to. You can always make a road trip/mini vacation if you wanted to attend that class.

I might just contact Jay to see what's up ... NC is just a little out of bounds for me. The one time I tried volunteering to work a match I was informed that only certified ROs need apply .... I do realize that every match is different ....

I will make you all feel better. much better :)

Here in our little convict colony (Australia) a level 2 IPSC match (12 stages shot over 2 days) costs anywhere from $40 to $75USD to enter. There is NO PRIZE TABLE at ANY match, and shirts only at level 3's (and you have to pay extra for it). We generally get trophies or small medals for each division and first 3 places in each grade (but not always) and also each category (lady, senior etc). no further down than that though. Forget the 1 prize for every 3 people idea! That $70 entry fee does not get you lunch or drinks. They cost extra. The only thing it gets you is the 12 stages. We all pick up brass and paste targets. The RO is with each squad and is shooting the match too.

From me (and I live in the biggest city in Australia - Sydney - and live 4kms from the city centre) the closest match is a 40min drive. The next closest is 1hr. After that there are 2 more within 2.5hr drive (each way) and the next one is a 6hr drive each way.

Our nationals this year is a level 3. it's held in a remote area (for most of us a 2hr flight AND a 3hr drive from the closest airport to the range). It's a 3 day match and costs $300 to enter. Yes $300. (1 AUD = 0.92 USD btw).

That $300 does not include a shirt. They are $45 extra. It also does not include the presentation dinner which is $70. So an entry with 1 shirt and the dinner is $415. Call it $400 USD. There is usually some prizes at a match like this for top placings, but they are not stuff like guns. They are things like a pack of 300 projectiles, or a holster, or a belt etc. Sometimes we get a hat.

As far as gas prices go. Regular petrol is $1.60 per LITRE here. there is approx 4 litres in 1 US gallon. That's $6.40 a gallon! Premium 98 Octane gas is around $1.80 a litre about $7 a gallon.

Having said all that, I am happy for every match people put on here. I do wish prizes were a bit more generous but it is what it is. We do not have the massive firearms industry here to support our sport with sponsorship's and donated prizes etc. I'm guessing our matches are also a lot smaller than the average US match. A local level 2 match will have around 70-100 or so competitors across classic/production/standard/open divisions. A state titles match maybe 150-200.

Anyway, just a bit of perspective from a country not blessed with a strong firearms industry to support our great sport.

DVC :)

Your situation is not really different from those of ours here in the US; in fact, those costs are likely lower than ours. I've been to a few Area matches and several $150+ matches -- don't remember getting free shirts or lunches. Not that I much care about those offerings, anyway.

The one Production Nationals I attended was not impressive at all. At this point, the only thing I appreciate is the volunteers; without them, we won't have much of anything. Hence, for local matches and near-by major matches, I try to help as much as possible.

As a "back-yard" and ex-collegiate athlete in several other sports, I find many things lacking in USPSA. I will refrain from initiating any discussion IPSC/USPSA management.

I will make you all feel better. much better :)

Here in our little convict colony (Australia) a level 2 IPSC match (12 stages shot over 2 days) costs anywhere from $40 to $75USD to enter. There is NO PRIZE TABLE at ANY match, and shirts only at level 3's (and you have to pay extra for it). We generally get trophies or small medals for each division and first 3 places in each grade (but not always) and also each category (lady, senior etc). no further down than that though. Forget the 1 prize for every 3 people idea! That $70 entry fee does not get you lunch or drinks. They cost extra. The only thing it gets you is the 12 stages. We all pick up brass and paste targets. The RO is with each squad and is shooting the match too.

From me (and I live in the biggest city in Australia - Sydney - and live 4kms from the city centre) the closest match is a 40min drive. The next closest is 1hr. After that there are 2 more within 2.5hr drive (each way) and the next one is a 6hr drive each way.

Our nationals this year is a level 3. it's held in a remote area (for most of us a 2hr flight AND a 3hr drive from the closest airport to the range). It's a 3 day match and costs $300 to enter. Yes $300. (1 AUD = 0.92 USD btw).

That $300 does not include a shirt. They are $45 extra. It also does not include the presentation dinner which is $70. So an entry with 1 shirt and the dinner is $415. Call it $400 USD. There is usually some prizes at a match like this for top placings, but they are not stuff like guns. They are things like a pack of 300 projectiles, or a holster, or a belt etc. Sometimes we get a hat.

As far as gas prices go. Regular petrol is $1.60 per LITRE here. there is approx 4 litres in 1 US gallon. That's $6.40 a gallon! Premium 98 Octane gas is around $1.80 a litre about $7 a gallon.

Having said all that, I am happy for every match people put on here. I do wish prizes were a bit more generous but it is what it is. We do not have the massive firearms industry here to support our sport with sponsorship's and donated prizes etc. I'm guessing our matches are also a lot smaller than the average US match. A local level 2 match will have around 70-100 or so competitors across classic/production/standard/open divisions. A state titles match maybe 150-200.

Anyway, just a bit of perspective from a country not blessed with a strong firearms industry to support our great sport.

DVC :)

Edited by justaute

That $100 has to be a major natch. Our club is $20 with a $5 discount if you help set up. There are 3 IDPA mat gets monthly at different clubs here and none are over $20. There are at least 4 USPSA matches a month as well and none are over $20 either.

Edited by Vanniek71

I might just contact Jay to see what's up ... NC is just a little out of bounds for me. The one time I tried volunteering to work a match I was informed that only certified ROs need apply .... I do realize that every match is different ....

Yeah I suppose so. This year I've worked local, AL Sectional, Area 6 and will work SC Sectional next week and I'm not a current RO. I will be come August though.

You're welcome to come up to South Carolina and shoot/work with us :)

A sanctioned match in Idpa is kinda like what an area match is. having just shot A1 and am going to shoot the wa st idpa championships, ii can compare them both. A1 was 150 with no prize table. 13 stages. It was a fun match. I think they had 350 shooters over 3 days

Wa st idpa is $85 with the same amount of stages. They will have a few guns and misc to give out. They will have 150 shooters over 2 days. Both included lunch

The average uspsa club match here is $22 for 6-7 stages . Idpa is $20 for the same.