Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

looking left and right after finishing stage

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A "tactical Ted". Everyone has their own motivation for shooting matches. Some like to incorporate their tactics. I find this behavior amusing, but would not pass judgement.

Edited by Shadow

I wouldn't make fun of anyone who did this at a match but when I see it while watching shooting videos at home I definitely chuckle.

Most people who practice this on YouTube videos are pretty laughable on their own but the checking for additional threats pushes it over the edge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNlpnGaZx_Y&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There are lots of people in the game who have carried guns into less "sporting" environs and their odd mannerisms are usually second nature. New shooters are amused sometimes when they see me moving through doorways or around corners during a stage with my pistol held close to my sternum, in both hands. I don't even know I'm doing it. I'm sure I'll do it that way forever ...

Mark

OMG, that video is great. I doubt the ninja pirouhette demonstrated there is popular on the square range.

Edited by redial

It's even better when "tactical types" duck down behind barrels or behind walls to do a reload. IDPA'ers do that as well. I start humming the theme song to Jeopardy every time is see it

Some guys do it to make sure they have shot everything. Some guys do it as training and actually LOOK. The ones I laugh at are the ones that just throw their head around not really doing any of the above

I wouldn't make fun of anyone who did this at a match but when I see it while watching shooting videos at home I definitely chuckle.

Most people who practice this on YouTube videos are pretty laughable on their own but the checking for additional threats pushes it over the edge.

LOL!!! :roflol:

Mall Ninja Alert! :ph34r:

I'm willing to bet that the closest that person has ever come to a gun fight is when he plays "Call of Duty."

Mostly, the guys I see do that are LEO/Mil, and they are out to get practice with their duty weapons on something other than static targets on a square range. My previous club used to hold a single stack match, and I'd see it a lot more there. Especially among the guys with tac vests on. But most of them were hellaciously accurate and nice guys, so to each his own. It did almost seem like it could be a condition caused by continued use of Glocks or 1911's, though. ;)

Only time I have seen "check your world" around here is when an Air Marshall was shooting IDPA. The SO said something about it and he something to the effect of it's how we are trained and I don't care what you think. He was very nice about it just blunt. He also used his duty gun and Gold Dot 357 sig rounds.

Most of the classes taught by ex-operators (Kyle Lamb, Larry Vickers) from one service or another teach this. It has its place on the two way range especially when in close quarters. Just because a "target" goes down does not mean he is out of the fight. Speaking from experience as a retired infantryman most do not stay down with one or two hits from FMJ, even with good shot placement. Body armor is a reoccurring theme amongst the current crop of bad guys.

A "tactical Ted". Everyone has their own motivation for shooting matches. Some like to incorporate their tactics. I find this behavior amusing, but would not pass judgement.

If you find it amusing then you're passing judgment.

I disagree. An opinion does not necessarily require a judgment about the subject matter of the opinion. The opinion can just be a decision about how it will impact the individual forming the opinion. He said he found it amusing, not that it IS amusing per se.

:-)

Edited by lawboy

I disagree. An opinion does not necessarily require a judgment about the subject matter of the opinion. The opinion can just be a decision about how it will impact the individual forming the opinion. He said he found it amusing, not that it IS amusing per se.

:-)

I guess you go by law boy for a reason! That was pure legalese!

I understand the reason for checking your surroundings before you put the gun away and I get that drilling it every time is how you make sure it will happen when it counts, I just get a laugh out of it when some guys finish shooting then very slowly pull the gun in then turn their head slowly one way and pause for several seconds before slowly turning their head the other way. if you are in a situation where you may be in danger from a unknown direction taking 10 seconds to look to the left (because you looked right first) may be a problem