Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Brazos High Performance Edge or regular Edge

bigarm

I would like a high capacity 1911 and was looking at Brazos website. The High Performance Edge is just a little more than $400 over the regular Edge. It seems like a pretty good deal, but I am not sure and after all $400 is $400. Do any of you have experience with them? Is it worth the extra money or would I be better off with the regular model? It is going to be a hard sell with the wife either way! Trying to decide it I could sell off some stuff to help with the cost. Since I got a Versa Max, I no longer need my Beretta 1201 FP and I have a RIA 100mm I could part with, but those two items wouldn't go very far towards the cost.

I have had my Brazos HP Edge for 2 years now and have not had any hiccups or malfunctions. I too, was in your shoes at the time and wondered if I wanted to spend the extra money for the HP. I say it is worth it for Bob to go though the gun and do the check-out and do some work on the parts like it says on the site. I also wanted the hard chrome look, not just the blued. Remember you also need magazines. The standard STI 140mm 40 mags are $64 each. I purchased 4 tuned mags from Brazos when I bought the Edge, I think they were $125 each (at the time), but tuned to hold 20 reloadable and have been great for me.

Brazos

You also have to remember the shipping costs both ways, with a stock Edge, if you are planning to get the pistol plated at a later date.

Edited by al503

hard chrome is somewhere in the $200 range. so you're paying another $200 for a pretty nice trigger job and reliability work. well worth it to me, and that is just what i did a few months ago. haven't shot it a ton, but no complaints so far.

hard chrome is somewhere in the $200 range. so you're paying another $200 for a pretty nice trigger job and reliability work. well worth it to me, and that is just what i did a few months ago. haven't shot it a ton, but no complaints so far.

Hard chrome is a $300 option from STI.

Thanks for the replies. Kind of confirmed what I was thinking. My wife is going to be a very hard sell though. I will just have to keep working on her. Maybe I can sell some of my cowboy guns. Right now she says if I sell some, then we can pay off other bills. I say, if I sell some that money should go to a new one.

I have bought two sti edge guns new in box,no modifications to them at all.Both still run just like they did the day I first shot them,long ammo factory ammo,it's all the same. I also own a Dawson gun hard chrome which is awesome ....they will work just out of the box!

I have bought two sti edge guns new in box,no modifications to them at all.Both still run just like they did the day I first shot them,long ammo factory ammo,it's all the same. I also own a Dawson gun hard chrome which is awesome ....they will work just out of the box!

My experience as well although the brazos deal seems like it is well worth it, I have also bought a couple of 2011 from Dawson. They offer a CRP package which id a good deal as well.

Bigarm,

If your still looking for at a Brazos gun, I just picked up one and will be shooting it at the Steel Match in Boulder at the end of the month. You are welcome to come check it out and test it.

I finally took the plunge to get out of production, everyone told me a Brazos tuned edge would be the best start in limited.

Bigarm,

If your still looking for at a Brazos gun, I just picked up one and will be shooting it at the Steel Match in Boulder at the end of the month. You are welcome to come check it out and test it.

I finally took the plunge to get out of production, everyone told me a Brazos tuned edge would be the best start in limited.

Thanks. I sent the check off this afternoon. Kind of wished I had done it earlier as there are 3 shoots this weekend I am considering. USPSA in Bigfork on Saturday, USPSA on Sunday or a 3 gun in Salmon Idaho on Saturday. We just got back today from a 3 gun shoot in Coeur d'Alene. Really liking the 3 gun matches. Hamilton club, Bitterroot Blasters, has a calendar for Montana matches. I will get on it tonight and check out the Boulder matches. That should be fun. I wish I was better. Our son shot his first match this weekend and really outdid us! I really should do some steel matches as I am intimidated by steel targets and really do poorly on them.

Edited by bigarm

Bigarm,

Thanks. I sent the check off this afternoon. Kind of wished I had done it earlier as there are 3 shoots this weekend I am considering. USPSA in Bigfork on Saturday, USPSA on Sunday or a 3 gun in Salmon Idaho on Saturday. We just got back today from a 3 gun shoot in Coeur d'Alene. Really liking the 3 gun matches. Hamilton club, Bitterroot Blasters, has a calendar for Montana matches. I will get on it tonight and check out the Boulder matches. That should be fun. I wish I was better. Our son shot his first match this weekend and really outdid us! I really should do some steel matches as I am intimidated by steel targets and really do poorly on them.

Ah, you must be further west. Im over in Helena. Actually I just moved here, I was over in Western Wa. On my move over I hit area 1, so that was convenient! :goof:

I will shoot Bozeman, Missoula, Billings, and steel matches if their available. Want to get in on some 3 gun action in Boulder too. :devil:

Bigarm,

Ah, you must be further west. Im over in Helena. Actually I just moved here, I was over in Western Wa. On my move over I hit area 1, so that was convenient! :goof:

I will shoot Bozeman, Missoula, Billings, and steel matches if their available. Want to get in on some 3 gun action in Boulder too. :devil:

Yes we live near Flathead Lake between Missoula and Kalispell. We will do matches in Missoula, Hamilton and Bigfork and will travel further for 3 gun. We lived in Vancouver, Washington for 31 years before we moved here about 8 years ago. Our boys still live in that area.

Not mine (in fact I'm the high bidder but didn't meet the reserve and ended up with a different gun).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=415697545

Thanks. I will check it out.

I decided to buy it.

I'm glad I could spend some of your money for you. :)

FWIW, I found a local deal on a beautiful STI Eagle....$1200. Then I found 5 140mm mags for $280 shipped. I think I'll buy a lottery ticket next.

Not mine (in fact I'm the high bidder but didn't meet the reserve and ended up with a different gun).

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=415697545

Thanks. I will check it out.

I decided to buy it.

I'm glad I could spend some of your money for you. :)

FWIW, I found a local deal on a beautiful STI Eagle....$1200. Then I found 5 140mm mags for $280 shipped. I think I'll buy a lottery ticket next.

You are on a roll! And thanks for the link. I think it is just what I wanted. However I would steer away from my wife!

Edited by bigarm