Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

moly coating cleaning tough

Max It

hi ya, so here I am after yesterdays steel match. I shot 200 147gn moly coated 9mm projectiles.

I used 3.5gn of 700X to load them on my Dillon 550 press.

now I have to clean the barrel, and it is tough going. the moly really gummed it up. I have had to try JB paste in addition to #7 and another lead remover, Ballistol too. Many strokes with bronze and steel bore brushes. and it still isn't clean. I will have to break out the Butch's and the Lewis Lead remover.

any hints, or experiences? should I be loading more or less or different powder? how about I just drop the moly coated bullets and buy plated or jacketed?

Much obliged,

Max

hi ya, thanks guys, I finally got it all out; I think the butch's bore shine did it.

I think I will retire the moly in 9mm after this bout.

I still have some both 9mm and .45acp.

but the .45 doesn't seem to be a problem, maybe its the slower speed.

anyway Much obliged,

• 1 month later...

Many MANY thousands of black moly's through my stock barreled G17. Have not touched the bore in 12+ years. It looks new.

The chamber however is gently swabbed after each match. Looks new too.

If you use the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide be sure you don't get it on any blued portion of the firearm. It will remove the blueing.

Arlin

I think that is just for stainless barrels.

Maybe we'll get some trained chemists to chime in but:

H2O2 + CH3OOH ----> C2H4O3

Hydrogen peroxide and acetic acid = peracetic acid

So it likes to oxidize or "patina-ize" metal.

I've noticed that the smoothness of the barrel seems to make the biggest difference with moly bullets. What gun and barrel is this with? You might try buying an aftermarket barrel, or fire lapping.

Papa bear hit it on the head. One of the GM's at the range got me into casting, and he showed me this trick. 100% copper dish scrubber, pull out a few long strips, and wrap it around the bronze brush. Two passes or so and you are done.

This is interesting to me. I am using BBI Moly coated. I shot about 700 rounds and just ran a dry bore snake through my barrel 5 times. Clean as the day I bought the barrel.

This is interesting to me. I am using BBI Moly coated. I shot about 700 rounds and just ran a dry bore snake through my barrel 5 times. Clean as the day I bought the barrel.

Those bore snakes are good too. I have one for my shotgun, and love it. 2 passes through the barrel, and good as new.

I've noticed that the smoothness of the barrel seems to make the biggest difference with moly bullets. What gun and barrel is this with? You might try buying an aftermarket barrel, or fire lapping.

I had horrible fouling in my M&P 9. Tried several different coated bullets, finally gave up and went back to jacketed. I think it might be the melonite treatment in the bore is not as smooth as others?

I've shot a lot of moly bullets in rifles (3000 fps +)... but not pistols. The rifle cleaning procedure is to wash the bore with Kroil first. This is a penetrating oil that gets under and through the moly fouling to help lift it. Let that soak for awhile and then run JB paste or Butch's Bore Shine through it on a bronze brush. Chore Boy might also work after the Kroil. The Chore Boy rips lead out of my pistol barrels, should work on moly after the penetrating oil.

If you are having issue with poly/moly coated bullets it is usually because the coating is being damaged during the reloading process. The two most common culprits are too much crimp or shaving of the coating during the seating process. Increase the flare/bell or switch to this powder funnel: http://www.doublealpha.biz/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=powder+funnel. This powder funnel will create more of a pocket for the bullet to sit upright in and decrease the chance of shaving the coating during seating the bullet.

hi ya all, I appreciate the input however:

today's match with 170 mostly moly coated 147gn 9mm is still a wretched pain.

I use a bronze bore brush, hoppy's, JB paste, Butch's bore shine, Ballistol Oil, right now a bit of mineral spirits.

the lands are still clogged. the bullets are seated well, the fps is under 1,000.

I guess the only answer is change bullets, I just wanted to use up what I have which is probably the last couple of hundred now.

The new ones are Berry's plated 147gn; and 4gn of Auto Comp powder.

Edited by Max It

MEK found at Lowes or Home Depot in the paint thinner sections easily cleans the moly out of your bore without all the rubbing and scrubbing with regular bore cleaner. If they are fouling your bore this bad you are either over crimping them or the bullets are undersized for your bore diameter.

HI Ya CS, I will do that in the next day or two.

However 56Hawk might be onto something;

the gun is my CZ75B-SA and the barrel looks different than my others; of course every mfr uses what he thinks is the right steel.

My Colt .45acp Gold Cup has no problem with moly coated bullets.

My XD9-Tactical gets some fouling, but nothing like the CZ.

I am thinking that I need to Cryo the barrel?? or as OP says just buy an aftermarket one.

Wait, I have decided to drop out of moly coated in favor of plated or jacketed. I am running out of the last batch I bought anyway.

Don't ignore the advice of 50/50 vinegar and hydrogen peroxide. Dip the barrel in a jar and let stand 10 or 15 minutes, the moly residue will wipe right out with cleaning patches. It really works and was recommended by a large moly bullet maker.

Or you could just leave the moly residue, I'm not a big fan of over cleaning barrels.

MEK found at Lowes or Home Depot in the paint thinner sections easily cleans the moly out of your bore without all the rubbing and scrubbing with regular bore cleaner. If they are fouling your bore this bad you are either over crimping them or the bullets are undersized for your bore diameter.

MEK is bad news. I won't go near that sh!t anymore.

How about you just run 5-10 jacketed bullets thru you gun at the end of the day?

It may not get out all the stuff but it makes a pretty big difference.

Also, copper chore boy scrubbers. Cheap, available at any grocery store, cut off a chunk and wrap an old bore undersized bore brush in it 30 sec of scrubbing, 1 pass with a dry patch and I'm done!