Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SS Nationals - Minor Town

Severian

So I hear that a lot of guys didn't make major at SS Nats this year. I'm one of them. The rounds I crono-ed last week at 175 made it to 164.9 on Thursday. How many of you had the same experience? It was cold (low 50s). Perhaps that was part of the problem for me. I think that TiteGroup is temperature sensitive. But I know at least 2 guys that had their Atlanta Arms ammo fail.

I went sub minor last year. Several others came close. Dave lost the SS match due to going minor. USPSA seems to use the CED chrono. I got coached that the model used tends to average 40 fps slower than most others. I now average the five slowest rounds and subtract 40 fps. If that reduced pf makes 168-170 I'm happy. So far so good.

Paul

I don't know what's going on but I went 179 at MCC and Revo Nats last year after checking my ammo with my CED Millineum and a CE digital and both telling me I was at 172. If it's going to be off I'm glad it was that direction.

I made 165.08 PF after 6 rounds. I had 173-174 just a week ago at home. Air temp was about the same, in the low 50's. My problem may very well have been my screens were not 10' away

I got bailed out by a heavy bullet (231.1) and a hot last round. The first two shots went in the 690s, and I'd had pretty much resigned myself to my fate (the horrible match I shot, minor wouldn't have hurt me much anyway). Then the third round went 796 or so and I got in by the skin of my teeth.

Revolver rounds (loaded to the same specs) the next day made 170+ comfortably.... I guess I just picked two really light rounds and one hot one.

Same chrono..different match - Revolver on Sunday, shooting minor with 160 gr Bayou's. I had no concerns at all, after chrono'ing 16 rounds over my Competiton Electronics ProChrono over the winter, and getting an average of 132.98, with the lowest average of 3 in a row being 129. Pulled round weighed 159.9, figured I was home free. Then this happens:

1. first three rounds made 121.9. I figure, maybe it's a fluke.

2. then second three rounds made 120.9 :goof:

3. and best three of the first six only made 122.0 :surprise:

4. Q: Chrono or pull final bullet for weight? I choose "chrono", and the final bullet chrono'd at...

812..bringing the average for the best three up to a PF of 125.3! :cheers:

Different results for different chronos? Weather? Who knows, I just know I'm going to use a higher safety factor next time.

Edited by johnmac

I use a Shooting Chrony and throw out the top two or three when figuring my PF. It's worked so far. Obviously the SS equipment wasn't reading what most of our chrono's do at home. Now, is that a problem with our rounds or chrono's or theirs?

I use a Shooting Chrony and throw out the top two or three when figuring my PF. It's worked so far. Obviously the SS equipment wasn't reading what most of our chrono's do at home. Now, is that a problem with our rounds or chrono's or theirs?

So what is the recourse? Are there multiple chronos to cross check?

I know when Ken Skeeters brings his equipment, I am a match from his to mine. Whether it's in the snow in Warsaw IN or in the desert at the Nationals in Vegas, we match.

Just wondering, are they using the infra-red (IR) screens???

I put my reloading records in a 3 ring binder.

Look at the column on the left, with the IR screens, my rounds were a 90 something PF:

676B3649-F3E4-42A3-B069-1151BC56A62F-99-

I unplugged the IR screens, so it was using just ambient day light...shot another 10 rounds, and they PF'ed in the 130's.

This record must be from the 2007 or 2008 timeframe.

So what is the recourse? Are there multiple chronos to cross check?

There are always two chronos set up in tandem at a major. Highest reading of the two is used and sometimes they are WAY off from each other. Chrono can be a crap shoot, which is why most load so far above minimum. And what really sucks there is no recourse at the match as long as everything is set up properly.

I shot both matches, and my major .40 SS ammo and my minor .38 Revo ammo both chronoed as expected.

I don't try to cut it close.

This. My ammo chronoed with in 1 PF of home. My SS ammo chronoed pretty much the same the past 4 years.

My .40 load has chrono's at 172 consistently on Oehler and PACT. It chrono'd 168 at SSN. So I gotta figure something's up. Hopefully they'll switch to LabRadar when the machine finally hits the market. Doppler is far more accurate than your typical chrono.

I shot 165.3 and it should have been more like 170. In fact, I only made it on the first 3 shots because my bullet weighed 231.6. A couple other guys on our squad were cutting it close with their tried and true loads as well.

Eric Fuson shot 9mm. So he had better have been minor.

My ammo chrono'd pretty much same as at home. And it almost does every time. Couple WTH's over 20 years, but never enough to go minor or sub minor.

AAA has (IMO) been shown to not make their published FPS.

The chrono is tested each and everyday at the match with several different gun/ammo combos.

BTW. no need to blame the Chrono when most everyone else made declared PF. Test your match ammo before you go.

BTW. no need to blame the Chrono when most everyone else made declared PF. Test your match ammo before you go.

I believe that's what people did and found a pretty good size difference between home and the match.