Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

WHERE IS ALL THE POWDER

joedirt

Powder valley has hodgdon now. Big shipment. No clays. Hs6 20$ a lb 145$ for 8

Titegroup and HS-38 also!

They are restricting quantities... which should allow people to grab some.

~g

The quanity limits seem pretty generious for most average shooters, 16lbs - 20lbs generally.

I think this is a good sign in several ways. Enacting limits may help more people get something which may help the panic feelings and the diversity of pistol powders is refreshing and may alos help ease some panic feelings. Or not.

Edited by Rob Tompkins

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Powder valley has hodgdon now. Big shipment. No clays. Hs6 20$ a lb 145$ for 8

Titegroup and HS-38 also!

They are restricting quantities... which should allow people to grab some.

~g

The quanity limits seem pretty generious for most average shooters, 16lbs - 20lbs generally.

I think this is a good sign in several ways. Enacting limits may help more people get something which may help the panic feelings and the diversity of pistol powders is refreshing and may alos help ease some panic feelings. Or not.

Absolutely fair, I snagged some more TG... along with S/L Winchester Pistol primers to round out the order.

Just checked a couple of minutes ago, and they only have 1#'ers of Titegroup left, but at $15.80 a lb.... who would complain with a 20lb limit.

Hope everyone got a little powder love today :devil:

~g

^^^

Agreed. The powder seems to be coming back slowly.

The folks at PV (and Widners, Grafs, Midsouth) have been great about not going nuts with the prices, and I think that limiting popular powders to 16 or 20 pound limits is perfectly reasonable at this time. Major kudos to them.

I just sent the following to Powder Valley:

It would be nice for the president of PV do an interview to give us Pistol competition shooters an update on what's going on in the powder world. I've been shooting for almost 2 years and have never been able to get the reloading supplies I want, when I want it. It's downright un american! :) But seriously... The president of Hodgdon gave an interview and answered questions last year, and I really appreciated the response. I think it would only be appropriate for the leader of the best powder dealer in country to do likewise. Thanks

Let's see what they have to say. Maybe it will be something like "We get it, we sell it. Let us know if you find a better deal".

Several others have voiced opinions on this and here is mine. It is one thing to be frustrated with Powder Valley and Midsouth, and so forth, but they are just distributing/reselling the finished product. What we really need to do is start insisting that the actual manufacture of the powder start giving an explanation.

There are numerous publications: blogs, magazines, print and voice media that cater to the firearms industry and yet there hasn't been a whole lot of investigative reporting on the state of affairs. A good question to ask is...why?

I do believe that we are going to start to see the clays line of powders making it's way to the retailers. It's probably not going to be much and personally I wouldn't get my hopes up too much as back-orders will be many months being filled. But anyway, as popular as clays is, it is only one of many powders and in itself is not the reason for the shortages. If Ford went out of business, would that mean that no one could find any car of any make/model on a dealers lot for two years+? Of course not.

Smokeless powder has and continues to make it's way to the loading dock, it's just not making it's way into a 1, 4 or 8 pound plastic bottle that looks like something that we want to see on our bench. Where is the powder going you ask? Look on the shelves of Cabelas or your LGS. There you will find plenty of factory ammo, where once there was none.

Think about it, a really industrious handloader, making pistol ammo might use 10 or 12, maybe 15 pounds of smokeless powder per year. At $25.00/pound, that's at most $375.00 spent per year at the retail level. Not much buying power there.

I just sent the following to Powder Valley:

It would be nice for the president of PV do an interview to give us Pistol competition shooters an update on what's going on in the powder world. I've been shooting for almost 2 years and have never been able to get the reloading supplies I want, when I want it. It's downright un american! :) But seriously... The president of Hodgdon gave an interview and answered questions last year, and I really appreciated the response. I think it would only be appropriate for the leader of the best powder dealer in country to do likewise. Thanks

Let's see what they have to say. Maybe it will be something like "We get it, we sell it. Let us know if you find a better deal".

Just for the record. I don't think there is any conspiracy or underhandedness going on here. I'm sure they would love to sell us powder if they had it. I'd just like to hear their perspective on the situation. No pressure....

I'm new to all this and just trying to learn. I hear some people on the forum complain that hording is partly to blame, but on the other hand some of the veterans have been through similar situations before and stocked up. I work for a company that follows lean manufacturing principles, and there is a lot of advantages to buying only what you really need. But if there's no extra capacity in the supply chain now and no intention of adding capacity, then I may want to consider stocking up on my favorite powder when it becomes available again.

Most all businesses are usually pretty tight lipped about things like process, supply chain, and capacity. They spent years developing and marketing their product, and that's what make them special. I also understand that the pistol hand-loading market may be totally insignificant in the grand scheme of things. That's why I think it would be interesting to hear what someone from a large distributor would have to say about it. It's sort of like watching the news. It's not critical that I understand everything that's going on in the world, but I do like hearing from the most knowledgeable sources. I think it's all very interesting and fun to follow....

At the end of the day it's only a hobby (can't believe I just said that), and my Quicken budgeting, coupon clipping, CPA wife would love them to stop selling me powder all together. :)

Edited by Just4FunLP

I'm not trying to insult anyone but I think most of those who blame this debocle on "horders" are factually incorrect. The shelves are bare and have been for some time. None of the big suppliers have powder so the little local guy isn't getting a whole lot either. So if someone is spending lots of time buying all of the powder to "hoard", where is that person getting it from? You can't hoard what you can't buy.

Dilligence and persistance will get you powder. This I know for fact. It's there, you've got to work hard to get it. Some have to work harder than others to get supplies and that might not be fair but it is not impossible. I'm in PA. I've had guys from the midwest call me a hoarder. Our powder in PA comes from a different distributor so someone in PA that scores big on powder is not depriving someone in IL of any supplies. But to put it in blunt terms, the powder that is being made and has been made over the past few years is all going to the commercial ammo makers. Those who call a well stocked handloader a hoarder should be calling the commercial loaders superhoarders.

When this shortage ends, and it will, those who are smart will stock up. Stock up a lot. When the next shortage hits, those who cannot find supplies because they didn't prepare (or are new handloaders) will call those who stocked up hoarders.

So don't shy from being a hoarder, it only means that you take this seriously and want to keep shooting regardless fo the ammo situation. And yes I have strong opinions on this matter.

Hello: When I started reloading I was told to buy a 3 years supply. When it gets down to a 1 year supply start stocking up again. I have not had a problem running out of powder, primers or bullets. It is getting about that time to stock up again for me. I will start with bullets first, then shot and finally powder. I have lots of primers. Thanks, Eric

My wife and I are both active USPSA shooters. We have many range friends who are not shooting as much as they used to because of materials shortages. I refuse to be put into that position. From the beginning I have only ordered in bulk and like many, I keep at least a two year supply of primers & powder on hand. Though Powder Valley no longer takes back orders, there are other suppliers that do. The first of the year I put in my powder back-order and I expect it will show up sometime this summer - which is fine by me because I won't need it this year. Call me a hoarder if you like, but we take this sport seriously and I will not caught flat footed by shortages we have/are experiencing.

Same here, if you want to play you have to plan ahead. I ordered powder back in March and it's just now starting to show up. What killed me is I built a .22 race pistol last year for steel and went crazy trying to find ammo for it. That's what I noticed with a lot of guys getting into the shooting sports and reloading the past few years, just trying to get started and build enough enventory to get through a season. I think once powder becomes more available there will be a lot of others stocking up or hoarding as some like to call it. I know I will be picking up more .22's this year!

Ok. (Tongue in cheek) Maybe i should go to recobs & buy a couple of kegs of hs6. I dont know what its used for but golly its available.

That would be silly i think but im sure some people do this. If you need it buy it but if not, leave it for someone that does. Some people need to get a handle on their needs. Hang in there folks. Its getting better.

Yes. My gut still tells me the powder (or anything firearms related) shortages are no fault of manufactures, wholesalers or retailers. It is the quasi-prepper, OCD hoarders...period. The worst of them set up tables at flea markets and gun shows trying to off the stuff at laughable prices. Active and devoted shooters are left holding their wankers.

Yes. My gut still tells me the powder (or anything firearms related) shortages are no fault of manufactures, wholesalers or retailers. It is the quasi-prepper, OCD hoarders...period. The worst of them set up tables at flea markets and gun shows trying to off the stuff at laughable prices. Active and devoted shooters are left holding their wankers.

You mean flippers? Hoarders/preppers don't sell. :)

I fear I’m slowly turning into a powder hoarder. About two years ago I was down to ~4lbs of W231 (at the rate I shoot, about 12-18 month supply) and just a few thousand primers. I started looking around and ended up getting 2x4lb American Select to spread shipping charges and I felt “rich” with powder and ended up selling (at cost) 4lbs to a buddy. Over the past year another buddy that travels a lot for work offered to shop LGS’s and I ended up with another 5lbs of W231/HP38. I also ordered the allowed limit of VV350, WSF, and W231 as various times, selling 2/3 – 3/4 of each order (at cost) to local shooters. I just ordered 16lbs of ETR7 with 12lbs promised to other locals. Counting the ETR7 I have ~20lbs of various pistol powders which for me is 4-5+ year supply and along the way I also picked up 20k-25k primers.

I find myself still shopping / hunting for powder. :surprise: I may have a problem but I don’t feel too bad since I feel I’ve helped several local shooters get powder and primers at a fair cost. :cheers:

I've been fortunate at a local hardware store has a small line on some powder. Last month I scored one 8# and four 1# containers of HP-38. Yesterday I scored two 8# jugs of Titegroup. Doing better.

Edited by Canine582