Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Someone is lying about the powder shortage

neckbone

The gov't isn't smart enough to cause this type of shortage.

We did it ... :ph34r:

But anti 2nd Amendment types coming to power were most certainly the catalyst for this event AND the previous ones.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also remember how backed up all the reloading companies were. Most of their output was going to new reloaders as I doubt many on here bought a lot of new presses at the time. New reloaders, by definition, are just starting out with nothing and so for the same reason they bought reloading equipment they bought everything they could find in the way of supplies.

We who had been in it for awhile also were buying supplies in greater quantity than normal. Most manufacturers are reluctant to spend a lot of money on expansion at the present time and while they may be running more shifts and longer hours that only increases production by so much. Then there was the fire in Australia which ended Clays ( and probably others I'm not aware of) which didn't help any as Clays users were then searching for something else to use.

I'm pretty sure Clays is still being made. Everywhere I've looked online says that the fire thing was a hoax. *shrug*

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders-guide/news.asp

That's the news releases for ADI, the company that manufactures Clays powders for Hodgdon. No mention of a fire.

Edited by SSGJohnV

the reloading companies output was going to new reloaders. New reloaders are just starting out with nothing and so for the same reason they bought reloading equipment they bought everything they could find in the way of supplies.

We who had been in it for awhile also were buying supplies in greater quantity than normal. Most manufacturers are reluctant to spend a lot of money on expansion at the present time and while they may be running more shifts and longer hours that only increases production by so much. Then there was the fire in Australia which ended Clays ( and probably others I'm not aware of) which didn't help any as Clays users were then searching for something else to use.

+1.

Ah, the voice of reason. :bow:

Some of you are missing a point I was trying to make.

In order for panic buying to take place, the powder has to make it to the retailers.

That's a key thing that is missing.......LGS are not receiving shipments, and I guess, mail order houses either.

IBTL!

Definitely a massive government conspiracy to keep all of the hand loaders unarmed as a form of gun control... Really? Did you just imply that?

Guess you are not familiar with the FAR and requirements for transparency in Government purchases. Plus is NSA can't keep it's Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information out of the news then how could a conspiracy like this escape leaks from the Powder Industry or from inside the Government. Having worked for many years in Washington I can say with certainty that the Government (Congress aside) is not the underhanded, privacy insensitive, overlord that most today seem to make it out to be. The overwhelming majority of Government employees share your values for freedom and are good people trying to do their best to serve this country and its people. Not sure why that is so hard to believe. Maybe listen to Infowars a bit less.

Go to govbiz and search for ammo/explosives.

I read somewhere that port masters are only allowing one container a day to be offloaded in port. Now I know there are hundreds of ports but according to article they say it's a explosion hazard to allow more. Now my question is why only one? If you have trucks waiting to load and remove from the do k why only allow one container. Now one container might hold 50k lbs of powder but it has to go somewhere and if ships are only getting 76 out of 1300 I can't see that container being divided up that much.

Hell, I don't even reload and I have 32lbs of solo 1000, 32lb of titegroup, 12lb of unique, 20lb of clays, 4lb of E3, 4lb wsf, 1lb each of wst, 7625, and 231. I can't stop buying the stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

And there you have it. I for one do not think levellinebrad in alone in this category.

you are missing a point I was trying to make.

LGS are not receiving shipments,

So, 1. the gov't is buying all the powder

2. the gov't is mandating that it not be shipped

3. mfgrs have stopped producing powder

None of these seem very likely, to me. :mellow:

I don't think LevelineBrad is alone either, but, this was his final comment !!! :roflol:

zhuk, on 29 Mar 2014 - 4:05 PM, said:snapback.png

levellinebrad, on 29 Mar 2014 - 3:17 PM, said:snapback.png

Hell, I don't even reload and I have 32lbs of solo 1000, 32lb of titegroup, 12lb of unique, 20lb of clays, 4lb of E3, 4lb wsf, 1lb each of wst, 7625, and 231. I can't stop buying the stuff.

Jesus it would be illegal to amass that much powder here lol

I'd settle for 4kg of AP70, but that is no more for the forseeable...since ADI decided to sell it to the US rather than local purchasers. Money talks of course!
I was just lying anyway. I do have 8lb of titegroup and a few other miscellaneous 1 pounders.

I wish I was telling the truth especially about the solo. I do think this is one of the problems. People are definitely hoarding. The reason for the hoarding is probably multifaceted. I also hear the same story add the op. Local retailers are not receiving shipments like they use to. There is a place in Charlotte that used to receive 300lbs a month and now they are receiving 1/5 that amount so it does not stick around long. I do not know what is causing that but it seems to be affecting every supply house out there.

Seems that Hodgdon has furloughed some folks. This was snipped out of a discussion on the Powder Valley Facebook page:

Sorry you feel bad about Hodgdon shipment. We feel bad that some of our people are not working as we wait on more powder to can. We are doing all we can with what we have to work with.
Tom Bowen, National Accounts Manger
HODGDON POWDER CO.

It seems to me that something is going on, and I have no idea what it is. When one of the largest retailers, if not THE largest, has a representative from a supplier post something like this? One just has to wonder. I've been thinking it very odd for some time now that with PV seemingly just as clueless as the rest of us, that something is afoot. Take a look at PV's website and write down how many different powders they have in stock. You can do it on a small post-it note and it's been this way for months on end. I've even quipped in forum posts that PV might want to consider changing their name. If we all would just start shooting .50BMG we'd be good to go. :D

My imagination running wild: Somewhere buried in the Federal budget are billions of dollars ear-marked for various innocent-sounding purposes, but in actuality are going to subsidize the propellant manufacturers to keep them from producing the necessary volume of powders we gun-enthusiasts would like. Far-fetched? Sure. But think about it: we are actually paying farmers NOT to produce. We are now even paying subsidized wind farms NOT to produce energy. So, maybe the idea is not as far-fetched as it seems.

My imagination is running wild thinking about all of the caches of guns and ammo that have been squirreled away and buried in the woods waiting for the great uprising.

Treasure hunters are going to be stumbling across these for decades!

But anti 2nd Amendment types coming to power were most certainly the catalyst for this event AND the previous ones.

Just a heads-up! this thread is on the verge of being closed and locked!

I started a thread with the same content, And before I knew it and it was a very civil discussion, The thread was locked!

Just my 2cents

Edited by ghost21

Just a heads-up! this thread is on the verge of being closed and locked!

I started a thread with the same content, And before I knew it and it was a very civil discussion, The thread was locked!

Just my 2cents

Why would they close it.

Some of you are missing a point I was trying to make.

In order for panic buying to take place, the powder has to make it to the retailers.

That's a key thing that is missing.......LGS are not receiving shipments, and I guess, mail order houses either.

A lot of powder doesn't make it to the shelf due to all the backorders that still have not been filled. Who knows how much is still in backorders at Powder Valley before they stopped allowing. Midsouth recently put an end to backorders on most of the popular brands. Going to be a while until supply comes catches up. And we are part of the problem, me included( especially me as a new handloader in a panic to supply my new hobby) buying all we can get our hands on when we probably have enough powder for a year and beyond of loading.

Edited by JLeeCZ

hanlon's razor?

Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

some one is being less than honest....

conspiracy theories are fun.
and the real reasons are often quite boring.

the situation does look like a few select are keeping
reloading supplies limited.

and explainations can be accepted or not and in any degree.

we are pretty sure the demand exists.
and we know such things as hoarding or stocking up can
cause shelves to empty quite quickly.

the simplest and most likely cause is that power manufacturers
do not want to make capital investments because they BELIEVE the demand is temporary.
(the higher price in the mean time is bonus)

keep in mind that anyone can be less than honest for their own reasons.
the manufacturers, any distributors, and shopkeepers and hoarders.

in any order, possible causes for lower production arriving
at the active reloader's door....

supplier not being paid in a timely fashion
limits to the size of materials being moved
limits to the volume of materials that can be handled
demand increasing from any other contracted consumer
demand increasing from any other contracted supplier

From all I can tell, the reloading world is not huge.
It seems big enough that there are some specialty powder manufacturers
and some surplus powder re-processors from ammo manufacture.

production may well be far behind demand,
that means the people who pay promptly get first supply
or older and lower value contracts get slower service.

all that means if you want powder now you will pay more...
and no one group is controlling the action.

it may be a conpiriacy and if it is... it is a remarkable big one.

miranda

There was a fire at the ADI plant over a year and half ago in Australia, confirmed to me by my Aussie friends. This provides CLAYS and a lot of other powder to Hogdon. Over the last couple months there was a fire at a powder plant in Beligum as well, shutting it down for 90 days +. I was told it was possibly loading NATO ammo, and St. Marks, our only domestic powder manufacturer, was tasked with providing powder until it is back up ( no way to confirm this). St. Marks relies on England for nitrocellulose, and there was delays on getting it for powder manufacturer.

When Graf's straight truck drives up to Hodgon's warehouse and there is no powder, there is a problem. The likely scenario is that the powder is on the ships, but there is now more paperwork or a delay in unloading the containers like mentioned above. If that was the case, I would keep it quiet and get what I could off the ships when I could.

Regardless of reason, there is no powder to be bought unless you are lucky to have friends importing european powder. I have a hard time believing that our powder supply was that fragile, but there is a shortage now.......

DougC

Slight thread drift...

In the 1990's, that TV show ER got tax breaks for producing anti-gun episodes.

And as far as the farmer subsidies go, type in your zip code here to see what farmers in your area are getting for subsidies:

http://farm.ewg.org/

As far as the gunpowder situation goes, I have no idea.

i'm as guilty. i have 30 pounds total of various vihtavuori jugs in my closet and i'm still buying. scored two 4pound jugs of 320 that i'll pick up on next monday. all this shortage talk in my surrounding gets me,and transformed me into a compulsive buyer whenever i get the chance....not talking about the fact i'm now limiting my practice sessions to the minimum that i feel ok with. before 2012 i was shooting like 7-800 rounds every weeks. i lowered that amount to 5-600 no more. i guess paranoia made his way.

this shortage has to stop lolll.