Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Someone is lying about the powder shortage

neckbone

A harsh comment, but something does not add up. Consider this;

The manufactures say they are balls-to-the-wall with production.

The manufactures say they are not supplying abnormal amounts of product to the government.

But on the other hand, product is not showing up at the local shops, as well as mail order houses who are out of stock.

I spoke to a shop owner yesterday. He said last week's order was for 1,300 pounds from the distributor, and he recived 76 pounds.

The general excuse is that consumers are hoarding. That may be a 'little bit' true, but not that much.

If hoarding was true, local shops would have there orders filled weekly and the product snatched up by hoarders in 2 days.

That's not the case ANYWHERE.

Someone is lying.

Powder is being created at the entry to the pipeline, and not showing up at the other end. It has to be somewhere !!!!

Or, not being manufactured to start with.

Like I say, it does not add up.

Where am I wrong?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, that is one place the powder is going.

Since powder has become more and more scarce over the past 3 years, that would mean the ammo manufactures were not operating at full bore in 2011, 2012 and 2013. During that time we were told they were at full capacity.

So now they are using more powder?

Again, it does not add up for me.

IBTL as well but from what I read recently Hodgdon for one, does not provide powder to ammo makers. They only make powder for reloading. A LOT of distributors are possibly filling back orders so when they get powder it is already spoken for?

We talked about this the other day at our match and we all long for the days when we were doing group buys and getting all the powder we wanted. While I don't think the government is buying it all up, it is certainly the current government that is creating the shortage. I for one will add to the problem when I get the chance. The first time I see a powder I want I am going to buy as much as I can afford at the time. Same with 22 ammo. I used to buy a box or two at walmart like every other plinker. Next time I can get it by the case I will by as many as they will sell me. That may be awhile but that time will come.

Seems like there are a lot of powder shortage "entrepreneurs" these days. There's a guy on Craigslist in my town who has a hundred pounds or so. Of course he's selling it for twice what he paid for it. How many of these people are there?

IBTL!

Definitely a massive government conspiracy to keep all of the hand loaders unarmed as a form of gun control... Really? Did you just imply that?

Guess you are not familiar with the FAR and requirements for transparency in Government purchases. Plus is NSA can't keep it's Top Secret/Sensitive Compartmented Information out of the news then how could a conspiracy like this escape leaks from the Powder Industry or from inside the Government. Having worked for many years in Washington I can say with certainty that the Government (Congress aside) is not the underhanded, privacy insensitive, overlord that most today seem to make it out to be. The overwhelming majority of Government employees share your values for freedom and are good people trying to do their best to serve this country and its people. Not sure why that is so hard to believe. Maybe listen to Infowars a bit less.

P.S. I had never had more than 4lb of powder in my life until it became scarce. Now I stockpile whenever I can so I can ensure I have it when I need it. I am confident the shortage has caused similar action by others which is, in my opinion, the majority of the availability issues which we now see. Yes, I am part of the problem.

Edited by alma

I saw a facebook update from Powder Valley to the effect that they believe there is some... I don't want to use the word "plot." They don't get much powder, and have some idea that supplies are being kept tight at the manufacturer level. If that's because it's all going out as canisters to manufacturers then that is one reason. I live near some commercial reloaders and they never lacked for powder to load their ammo. It seems the hobbyist is the one getting the big squeeze.

I expect that a lot of it can be accounted for by the fact that many of us are buying components in higher volume, when we find it, that we would if we knew it would be on the shelf anytime.

I managed to get an 8 lb jug of n133 this week. Have never bought rifle powder more than a pound at a time in 40 years of reloading. I think it will probably last 3-4 years so that is a good while that I don't have to worry about it.

... it is certainly the current government that is creating the shortage.

How did you come to this conclusion?

Everybody is afraid they want to take away our guns and ammo so panic buying is still the rule of the day.

Everybody is afraid they want to take away our guns and ammo so panic buying is still the rule of the day.
I definitely agree with that. I put that more in the category of fear of government as the cause versus government being the cause. For me I think I noticed things starting to get bad in mid 2007 in anticipation of someone like Obama coming into office. It has only gotten worse since then.

Does everyone within the proximity of DC have their head in the sand? There has been panic buying since a certain party took control of DC. :wacko:

At least it is starting to get a little better. Just walked out of a pretty well stocked Walmart with 300 12 guadge shells with plenty to spare left for the next guy. I also have 1,000 rounds of .223 that should be showing up in a day or two that I was able to pick up at a reasonable price. About the only thing I never see is 22nd.

32lb of Titegroup? Thanks like 32lb of gold! I had to grab n320 as a substitute when I saw it available at PV.

PV had my brand of primers in a few weeks back and I don't need any primers right now. I had them added to the cart but reason took over and I canceled. I have enough to last me for awhile without going overboard.

Does everyone within the proximity of DC have their head in the sand? There has been panic buying since a certain party took control of DC. :wacko:

Just because you are in the DC area doesn't mean you necessarily voted for the party in office. That is why I live in Virginia and not DC or MD.

Head in the sand? The problem has so far had nothing to do with the Government and everything to do with what has so far been unreasonable and unrealized fear of government action.

The problem here is a very simple issue from economics 101 called the law of supply and demand.

Edited by alma

Just because you are in the DC area doesn't mean you necessarily voted for the party in office. That is why I live in Virginia and not DC or MD.

Head in the sand? The problem has so far had nothing to do with the Government and everything to do with what has so far been unreasonable and unrealized fear of government action.

The problem here is a very simple issue from economics 101 called the law of supply and demand.

Ironic sentence is ironic. :roflol:

Hell, I don't even reload and I have 32lbs of solo 1000, 32lb of titegroup, 12lb of unique, 20lb of clays, 4lb of E3, 4lb wsf, 1lb each of wst, 7625, and 231. I can't stop buying the stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Jesus it would be illegal to amass that much powder here lol

I'd settle for 4kg of AP70, but that is no more for the forseeable...since ADI decided to sell it to the US rather than local purchasers. Money talks of course!

Hell, I don't even reload and I have 32lbs of solo 1000, 32lb of titegroup, 12lb of unique, 20lb of clays, 4lb of E3, 4lb wsf, 1lb each of wst, 7625, and 231. I can't stop buying the stuff.

Jesus it would be illegal to amass that much powder here lol

I'd settle for 4kg of AP70, but that is no more for the forseeable...since ADI decided to sell it to the US rather than local purchasers. Money talks of course!

I was just lying anyway. I do have 8lb of titegroup and a few other miscellaneous 1 pounders.

Ironic sentence is ironic. :roflol:

The point is that as you said this has all been a result of panic buying. There has been no law passed or action taken by a government agency that has put us where we are today. We did this to ourselves.

Not saying lawmakers have not tried. That has been a market force in the equation to be sure.