Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

LM choke and slugs OK,or NOT

BOOM

I called carlson choke company. Talk to tech support I told them that I wanted to buy Light Modified choke tube for a 3 gun shotgun. I told them I intended to shoot mostly bird shot, some slugs. They told me they do not recommend using LM choke for slugs to much restriction and was unsafe . They said that a Improve Cylinder is what they recommend for slugs.( Ok )I wanted to use one choke for every thing and got the impression around here Light modified was the do all choke. Is it SAFE for slugs or NOT. Do you shoot slugs through a LM choke ?

So is Carlson right that I should NOT be using a Light Modified (LM) for slugs at all? I understand that in all things there is a built in safety factor of 4 times . Is this whats being said by the Carlson Choke co. to protect them selves against any type of law suites due to the misuse of there chokes. I wanted the added distance and a tighter pattern that would come from a LM choke for bird shot, but wanted to use the same choke tube for slugs without fear of it fowling up with plastic, and then Kaboom I own a breaching tool LOL ;)

Carlson's is super conservative. We sent them some barrels to cut and choke and they said they were too thin. RAS did them. Work great.

If this is a Tru-choke thin wall, I can see their reservations. On a standard brand choke, LM should be fine. I have shot Mod before. The POI (point of impact) will be lower than the Cyl or Imp cal ( the slug/wad slows down a little as it passes through the constriction (past 18inches of barrel)). My LM choke is 5"lower at 50yards than cyl.

M1 w/ light mod Iinstalled and never removed since 1996. Over 60 cases of slugs through it since, both full power and low recoil.....barrel not f.u.ed, choke still in barrel, extended choke still in spec for a lm.....any questions about slugs in a light mod choke?

Edited by kurtm

Slugs are much more accurate out of my 24" SLP Invector Plus barrel with IC or SK. LM puts them about 12 inches high at 50 yards. I can't speak to possible damage but the accuracy suffered for my setup.

OK; Is it just Carlson making it out to be a big deal ? It sounds like everyone here is saying, it will be fine No Worries. Right ?

I don't believe Carlson is making it out to be a big deal. You are looking for someone else to tell you that it's perfectly OK to shoot slugs through a LM choke. To avoid liability over you blowing up your gun or injuring yourself, they will not do that. Every reply on this forum has been a story of everyones personal experience, but no one has come right out and told you to do it and that it is 100% safe. You must decide for yourself how much risk (if any) you are willing to take.

I will do it its 100% safe. Shoot slugs to your hearts content in a LM barrel. Again most manufactures make there slugs so they can safely be fired in full chokes. I say most because there may be some somewhere out there that does not but all the ones I know about do. Way too much liability for a ammo maker to make a slug that could ruin a gun or hurt someone. No one reads labels anymore so they have to assume the worse.

Pat

Keep in mind we shoot lead slugs in 3-gun. Sabot type slugs fo hunting might be different.

Saboted slugs are designed to be fired in rifled barrel, so chokes would not be involved.

Thanks Everyone; I'm confident with the years of experience found here. Some of you have brought up the change of POA vs. POI ; Low and high. is this a negative side effect in using a Light Modified Choke?

I don't have the extensive experience of Kurt Miller, but I have shot many different brands of slugs (Breneke, Winchester, Federal Tru-ball, Remington, B&P) in both reduced recoil and full power through Modified choke tubes in my M1 and Nova. I know my holds for each gun, and have not had any reliability or durability issues. You have to decide for yourself, if it were my gun, I would do it.

Hurley

The one question I forgot to ask Quality my bad; are Carlson chokes up there, or better off with Briley or any others brands for over all quality . I am going for a extended LM in black.

I have only used IC and Mod with slugs. Never drank the LM koolaid. I figure if IC won't put enough pellets on a target to lay it down, I need Modified. Mod shoots WAY high with Speer Lawman slugs (1oz @ 1200 fps). Like 10-12" above POA at 50 yds. IC was about where I wanted it to be, just above the bead. Every shotgun might be different in this regard.