JGus

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Motosapiens,

You are correct in assuming that there is something else going on behind the scenes. SIG and Gray Guns (GGI) both believe strongly in the potential of the new P320 platform to be highly competitive in USPSA Production and IDPA and have been working some very ambitious initiatives behind the scenes. These plans are leading up to an official announcement about a SIG Sauer team who will be competing with the P320.

As I mentioned previously I have personally invested a lot of time and money up to this point in testing out the potential of the P320 for myself. This has included purchasing two personal P320 along with all of the trimmings and doing what I could to get those race ready. I have been very surprised and impressed at the platform and shortly after buying a personal stock I decided to focus on the P320 for competition in 2015 and I put my ACCU up for sale.

Last week I was extremely honored to picked up a third P320 which is a dedicated SIG Sauer Team pistol that has been fully worked over by GGI. I am impressed by the platform and I very excited about seeing what I can do this season driving this gun in Production Division and 3 Gun. Results so far have been very encouraging and I have a lot of shooting goals this year that I hope to achieve running this gun.

There are other excellent shooters out there who have gone through a similar journey as I have which has lead them to the P320. Some of them will also be formally flying the SIG banner with me this year. One of them will be TimH who has been dominating in SS with a SIG for years now and is about to unleash his skills on the Production Division competition driving the P320.

More details about the team should be coming out shortly and when you see those it should give you a sense for SIG Sauer's commitment to this innovative platform and to continuing supporting the shooting sports as it has been doing honorably now for years.

Here's a quick pic from today's range session, and I've got this baby all dialed in. I was switching between 124 and 115 grn, and decided to really make it dead nuts perfect with the 115 grn S&B ammo since I have about 4K rounds of it.

This is a 5 round group at 15 yards, 2-hand standing (no support).

The group should actually be smaller, as I was shooting at an Orange, 1" shoot-n-see dot. The last round hit what was left of the dot and created the big rip on the Right side of the paper. Note to self, when shooting for groups next time, just use a MARKER so this doesn't happen again!!!

Grip work by me, sight/slide/bead blasting by Robert Burke.

C1rwu8r.jpg

What sight do you have on the rear?

I think he said it was a Dawson adjustable for an XD. Custom machined into slide.

If you compare it to the stock you can see that they milled down to the depth or the original dovetail and milled a new dovetail in further up the slide. It's a nice option.

More info on the slide/sight combo.

The Sights are Dawson Precision. The Rear sight is for an XD, and the front is a standard, fiber optic "P" series Sig sight. You'll need to run at least a .195 front with the XD rear setup.

As far as the slide goes... it's not even a stock slide.

Robert gets these special from Sig, and they don't have the relief milling inside. That allows them to be milled down from the top, whereas if you tried this with the stock setup you would cut through the top. Basically what he does is swap-out your stock slide to one of these if you want it milled to accept the XD adjustable sight.

So, is replacing the slide with another not just like the factory profile (internal or external) USPSA Production legal? Not sure, just curious.

In any case, these guns will move, if the instructions on how to do a 25 cent trigger job were more readily available on the inter-web. As well as having after market sight options readily available that did not require replacement of the slide (yes I know they are coming). Maybe basic replacement springs Etc. to do the lighter trigger. Just seems like most of the info/know how is being funneled through a couple outlets for now. More power to them, but I would like to do it myself like I can for a Glock.

Make these items/info accessible to the DIY shade tree guy to get running for competition and sales will soar. Mine is sitting in its box til I get all of that figured out. I want to put sights on it, tune the trigger, and go shoot it.

Edited by sfinney

Production legality on the special slides is definitely a good question that got me thinking.

After consulting the rulebook my personal opinion is that it would be legal as you can replace the slide with aftermarket or OFM provided they are the same length, contour, and caliber" as the original.

The frame described would meet those criteria but would still, of course, be subject to overall weight restrictions.

"21.3 After-market slides and barrels provided they are the same length, con- tour and caliber as original factory standard.

SLIDES: Current rules remain in effect You may replace the slide with an OFM or aftermarket slide which is of the same length, contour and caliber as the original slide for that model of gun."

Edited by alma

I don't think insides have anything to do with contour but maybe that's just me.

con·tour

ˈkänˌto͝or

noun

1. an outline, especially one representing or bounding the shape or form of something.

"she traced the contours of his face with her finger"

synonyms: outline, shape, form; More

Edited by alma

So if sig is working on getting the competitive side of the 320 does that mean they'll add a long slide offering at some point?

Yes, at least that is the rumor that I have heard.

Edited by alma

What I really don´t get, there goes SigSauer to build up a strikerfired pistol and they miss to lower the barrel to the hand, really?

I mean, what is the effort of this strikerfired version if the grip itself and the slide too are built as high as the hammer version?

I totally don´t understand that.

What I really don´t get, there goes SigSauer to build up a strikerfired pistol and they miss to lower the barrel to the hand, really?

I mean, what is the effort of this strikerfired version if the grip itself and the slide too are built as high as the hammer version?

Because then it would lose it's commonality and modularity similarity with the P250??

Motosapiens,

You are correct in assuming that there is something else going on behind the scenes. SIG and Gray Guns (GGI) both believe strongly in the potential of the new P320 platform to be highly competitive in USPSA Production and IDPA and have been working some very ambitious initiatives behind the scenes. These plans are leading up to an official announcement about a SIG Sauer team who will be competing with the P320.

As I mentioned previously I have personally invested a lot of time and money up to this point in testing out the potential of the P320 for myself. This has included purchasing two personal P320 along with all of the trimmings and doing what I could to get those race ready. I have been very surprised and impressed at the platform and shortly after buying a personal stock I decided to focus on the P320 for competition in 2015 and I put my ACCU up for sale.

Last week I was extremely honored to picked up a third P320 which is a dedicated SIG Sauer Team pistol that has been fully worked over by GGI. I am impressed by the platform and I very excited about seeing what I can do this season driving this gun in Production Division and 3 Gun. Results so far have been very encouraging and I have a lot of shooting goals this year that I hope to achieve running this gun.

There are other excellent shooters out there who have gone through a similar journey as I have which has lead them to the P320. Some of them will also be formally flying the SIG banner with me this year. One of them will be TimH who has been dominating in SS with a SIG for years now and is about to unleash his skills on the Production Division competition driving the P320.

More details about the team should be coming out shortly and when you see those it should give you a sense for SIG Sauer's commitment to this innovative platform and to continuing supporting the shooting sports as it has been doing honorably now for years.

Thanks for the clarity. I have come to assign a lot of credibility to your posts over the years.

I don't think any gun is magic, so it will be interesting to see if this is the flavor of the week or some kind of actual improvement over the competition.

Of course I've turned into an old codger apparently, and am shooting singlestack this year for all the majors. But for local matches we mentally group ss, production and L10 all together for bragging rights.

I'd guess it has a lot to do with the removable FCU.

What I really don´t get, there goes SigSauer to build up a strikerfired pistol and they miss to lower the barrel to the hand, really? I mean, what is the effort of this strikerfired version if the grip itself and the slide too are built as high as the hammer version? I totally don´t understand that.

I'd guess it has a lot to do with the removable FCU.

Outside of Production division you could modify the beavertail if desired.

There is a bit of room under the FCU that can be relieved if you want to fill up some of the empty space with epoxy or other material.

Being very familiar with Glocks I wanted to try this to see if it could help to control recoil.

So far I am not sure whether I like it or not. I need to test a bit more to see if I can tell a difference but it almost feels like the stock shape puts more pressure on the top of my palm which gives me a bit better leverage to control the gun overall.

One of the truly unique things about the P320 is that I can be fearless about performing extreme grip mods since an entirely new grip frame is only $36 away. I also can have different grips for different uses. This one was designed to be my 3 Gun grip so it has some magwell flaring, undercutting, and aggressive texturing. I just called the SIG Store today to order 6 more grips (two in each size) for additional playing/testing.

Sbkcb7fh.jpg

Edited by alma