Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major Powder Options

Hecj58

Has anyone ever used Accurate #5 or Hodgdon Titegroup to load 9 major ammo? I just got an STI Grandmaster race gun and want to make sure i load the right ammo. With powder being so scarce those two were the only ones i could find right now. Never loaded 9 major before so some any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I should mention that i have Montana Gold 124gr FMJ and 121gr IFP bullets that I am using.

Edited by Hecj58

What bullet weight are you using?

Also what type of primers? Small rifle primers would be optimum.

Titegroup is too fast of a powder for an open gun. AA5 will work depending on your bullet weight. 115s may make PF using 8.8-9.0gr. 124s should be around 7.5-8.0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Durtarg

Winchester AutoComp

6.7 grains (through a new, very tight barrel)

1.158 Overall Length

Winchester Small Rifle (WSR) primer

Montana Gold 124 JHP bullets (no lead exposed on the back to they don't gum up the comp)

Infinity Racegun

Start lower then 6.7 grains and work your way up, chronograph your loads while watching for high pressure signs like flattened primers or bulged brass.

1,331 feet per second makes a 165 power factor with the 124's.

1,364 fps is needed for the 121's.

Remember, 9mm Major is beyond the SAMMI standards so care should be taken when reloading and every gun is different. If you don't have access to a chronograph, find out who has one as it is absolutely necessary for load development of 9 Major.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

You're going to want close to 172pf to work the comp effectively.

Start around 7.8 and work your way up and find what shoots flattest.

Your OAL should be 1.165

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Havent been able to find any autocomp anywhere. Does anyone know of a place that may have some that i could buy?

Right now, all the major distributors are out of it as I was looking for some in this thread (link). Happen to find a local competitor that quit shooting for health reasons and he had some. GunBroker (<-- click) has a guy selling two (2) one pound containers for $89 + $16.50 shipping costs.

BC

Edited by BillChunn

Havent been able to find any autocomp anywhere. Does anyone know of a place that may have some that i could buy?

Right now, all the major distributors are out of it as I was looking for some in this thread (link). Happen to find a local competitor that quit shooting for health reasons and he had some. GunBroker (<-- click) has a guy selling two (2) one pound containers for $89 + $16.50 shipping costs.

BC

:surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise: :surprise:

:eatdrink:

Finding powders is tough, right now. But WAC, HS6 are both good, if you can find them -

you want a slower powder to make the comp work properly.

You can use FMJ bullets, but you'll have to clean the comp quite a bit - most use JHP's,

where the bottom of the bullet is covered in copper. :cheers:

Has anyone ever used Accurate #5 or Hodgdon Titegroup to load 9 major ammo? I just got an STI Grandmaster race gun and want to make sure i load the right ammo. With powder being so scarce those two were the only ones i could find right now. Never loaded 9 major before so some any advice anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. I should mention that i have Montana Gold 124gr FMJ and 121gr IFP bullets that I am using.

Titegroup is TOO FAST for 9Major, you'll likely blow up your gun before you hit 160PF.

I've never used #5 before, but the Hodgdon burn rate chart puts it between HS-6 (a very popular 9Major powder) and True Blue (a not as popular 9Major powder, but some like it) so it should be safe even if it's not optimal.

The FMJs have an exposed lead base so you will get more smoke and might get some lead buildup in the comp. I would use the FMJS and Titegroup for Production loads (or trade them to a Production shooter if you don't shoot it) and the 121s and #5 for 9Major. Like Bill said, buy a chrono or make friends with someone who has a chrono.

The AA load data says a 124gr bullet at 1.145" over 6.5gr of #5 makes 140 PF so I would start there and work up .2gr at a time using a crono. If you notice the primers start to flow I would lengthen the OAL a little.

Anyone using HS6 for 9major? Can you share your load to get to PF160 and experience?

I am undecided as to whether I should be using 124 gr projectiles or 147 gr. Which is better.

124 gr

HS6

7.9 is my recipe at the moment. I have yet to Chrono.

147gr

HS6

6.5 (yet to chrono)

I used aa#5 behind mg 124cmj for 9major. Works great. Friend of mine used it with 115's back in the day screaming at 185pf. Actually it was the powder of choice for those super squaders back in the day shooting 9x21 in P9's and the like.

Anyone using HS6 for 9major? Can you share your load to get to PF160 and experience?

I am undecided as to whether I should be using 124 gr projectiles or 147 gr. Which is better.

124 gr

HS6

147gr

HS6

6.5 (yet to chrono)

Jim,

Light bullets and SLOW powder is the way to go in Open so save the 147s for Production.

You're in the realm of Major with 7.9, what's your OAL? I've seen wild fluctuations from 1.145" to 1.160"

Edited by kneelingatlas

124 gr

HS6

147gr

HS6

6.5 (yet to chrono)

Jim,

Light bullets and fast powder is the way to go in Open so save the 147s for Production.

You're in the realm of Major with 7.9, what's your OAL? I've seen wild fluctuations from 1.145" to 1.160"

You mean slow powder?

I am trying silhouette from hs6 and dot moves a lot better... But then again, I also switched from 124 to 115... Also changed from 9lb recoil and 17 lb mainspring to 8lb progressive and 13 lb mainspring... After the changes, gun does not recoil and is flat... Dot barely moves and double tap test shows second shot is only 3-4 inches low when done at 20 yards... That's pretty damn good!

I am trying silhouette from hs6 and dot moves a lot better... But then again, I also switched from 124 to 115... Also changed from 9lb recoil and 17 lb mainspring to 8lb progressive and 13 lb mainspring... After the changes, gun does not recoil and is flat... Dot barely moves and double tap test shows second shot is only 3-4 inches low when done at 20 yards... That's pretty damn good!

Sill is my favorite 9 maj powder too esp on A 115..

You mean slow powder?

Yes, thanks Sarge, it's been a long day :)

Just looking out for the newbs who are out in their garage thinking of loading 9MAJOR for the first time. :)