Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 vs buying 2 SDB's.

I now there are many threads already going over the differences in the machines. I have spent much time reading them and trying to decide which reloader will suit me best. My particular situation will be loading 9mm and 45 ACP. I will not be shooting the 9 or 45 out of a Glock, as I have seen people mention the SDB do not work as well for brass fired from Glock due to the bulge. Anyways I am really thinking just saving a bit longer and getting a fully setup 650 from Enos of course, but my big concern is how big of a PITA is caliber swaps. Especially since most, my .45 saved up is large primer; it will be a priming system swap as well.

Lately the idea of just buying two square deal's one set up for 45 and one for 9 mm might be easier then dealing with the swaps. I do not have a ton of reloading experience. My father owns a Hornady Lock N Load for prob about 20 years now, and I have done some with that. I have for the most part ruled the Hornady press out however, due to it seeming to have more issues. My father has said if he could do it over again, he would buy the Dillon instead, that seems to be the consensus from this forum. I work a lot, active duty military here, and only get two weekends free a month (got to love shift work). I mostly shoot USPSA, and Steel Challenge matches (1500 rounds a month will be sufficient for now), however, I have tried 3 Gun, and have everything but the rifle so I am sure that will be soon to follow. Anyways right now the big need for ammo is strictly 9 mm and 45 ACP. I do have a RCBS rock chucker to load the other calibers I have, I just do not shoot them enough to be very concerned right now. The big priority is getting a reloader or I might not have ammo to go and enjoy my hobbies.

Wow hope you all can follow my rambling. Guess to sum it up. Would you?

1. Buy 2 Dillon Square Deal B's, one for .9mm and one for 45 ACP. Later on, get something else for rifle rounds... i.e. the 550 or 650. ($800 - 900 depending what options I get with them)

2. Buy a tricked out 650 with all the nice upgrades. In addition, if I go that route how long will the caliber change really take? That is my only real concern. ($1600 -1800 ready to rock and roll for 45 and 9)

3. Buy a Hornady LNL AP, caliber changes do seem much simpler and pray they have work out most of the kinks.... (Have not even priced yet, because deep down I know I want the Dillon...or do I?)

I really appreciate any information you all have with this. I cannot say how nice of a resource this forum is for great tips and tricks from people in the shooting community.

Edited by pfcchambers

Had a SDB. It did well for low volume reloading. When you're loading on a SDB you think of loading hundreds of rounds. When you've got a 650 you think of sitting down and loading a couple thousand. So you sit down and load all the 9's you will need for a while, then change over.

So you sit down and load all the 9's you will need for a while, then change over.

This is what I do. I don't bother setting up for less than a case of bullets, usually more like 6k or even more. Then I don't load that caliber for a while. I change guns a lot though.

I have both a SDB and a 650.

This is a no brainer. Get the 650.

I only load 9, 40, and 223, so I don't have to change primer set-up, but I bet you could change from 9 to 45 in less than 10 minutes with the quick change set up.

SDB is like a Revolver while the 650 is like an Open gun. For me it about the speed. I don't get anything out of reloading

Of course get brass collator and extra tool head and powder measure. Changeover is a few minutes and you need to clean the press anyways. Now if you are gonna be low volume the SDB is fine. I loaded 57K on one my first year but if I had a 650 it would have taken quite a bit less time.

Too many options for the 650. Any brand die you want, case feeder, bullet feeder, etc.

for me the proprietary dies on the SDB make it a no go. I am a big fan of the udie

I would go with the 650 simply because it has 5 stations and used normal dies, you can also use it for rifle if you ever get one.

For 9mm I use deprime/size, charge/expand, bullet feeder, seater, crimp or I replace the feeder with a powder cop.

650 is the only way to go. I wouldn't worry to much about how long it takes to make a caliber change on a 650. When first got it, it took me an average of 30 min. But after doing it now many times, I'm down to less than 10 min. You just need the extra tool heads, and 1 extra primer system. Works really good.

A tip for faster change overs on the 650, you don't have to tighten up the primer system screws really tight. I've run them just finger tight before and it actually helps prevent misalignment.

The same goes for the primer ram, there's no need to really torque it in hard.

I would get the 650. If I couldn't afford that and wanted to get started I would probably get a 550 rather than 2 SDB's. Conversions are pretty quick on the 550 plus it uses standard dies and the same powder measure as the 650. It retains it's value well so you could always re-sell later and upgrade to a 650. Your dies and powder measures would transfer over.

+10 on the 650. You mentioned that you also shoot 3 gun. There may be a time that you'll add a rifle caliber to the 9mm and 45acp. SDB doesn't load rifle calibers. With a 650 you can load all of them and load faster than an SDB. Like others have said....when you load on a 650 you load a whole bunch of what you are loading. When you have need you can do the caliber conversion and make it worth your while and load a lot of the next round requred....etc.

650 all the way.

I really don't get why people get so hung up on the time that it takes to switch calibers. It takes me longer to cut the grass, cook dinner, vacuum, wash my truck, and fold laundry than it does to switch over calibers on my Dillon. Big deal if it takes 30 minutes, I spend 5 hours at a match to shoot for two and a half minutes (yeah I'm slow...) Get the machine that will produce quality ammo in the volumes you need with the least amount of hassle that you can afford and quit sweating the small stuff. And with that two cents the 650 is even cheaper :goof:

I appreciate all your replies. It sounds like go with the 650. I will just start saving and get it done right the first time. Something I need to learn to do. I am currently running an old Star 30 M in production...... While it has been fun playing with it, lack of aftermarket support is not so great.

Thank you all for the help.