Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My first Les Baer!

chowellacsbd

Enjoy the ride.. I have one that just got rebuilt right at 96k.. They are not maintance free, just run them wet and change out the recoil springs every 6 k or so and firing pin spring every 10k.. I have a real old one that is below the 1100 serial # with the 1.5 option, hard chromed and shoots great.. Also have a 9mm hard chromed with the 1.5 option and is just the cats meow to shoot...

Can't go wrong with a Les Baer .

I would beg to differ. I know of no manufacturer who makes a larger proportion of jammomatics than Les Baer.

I have never seen one make it through a match without a jam.

It seems safe to say that you don't like Les Baers.

My own personal experience is that they are incredibly reliable. And I'd say that the overwhelming opinion of other owners is that they are quite good. It's rare that I hear anyone voice the opinion you just tossed out. (Though I seem to remember a similar comment elsewhere that is essentially word-for-word what you just wrote. So I'm guessing this is a repeat.)

I don't generally shoot mine in compeitition - though I did recently shoot it in a match. Not a single jam.

You might gather from my classifier record that I enjoy shooting 1911s. I don't really have anything against Les Baer, although I have heard he's not a very nice guy and will cuss you out if you call him and tell him that the gun he built for you won't run. His guns look nice and if I wanted one for bullseye or for a wall decoration I would be happy to own one.

I was reluctant to even make a post in this thread because posting such a comment is inevitably followed by people who feel the need to defend their purchases with an anecdote from their own gun.

If you have one that runs, great.

I have just never seen one make it through a match without a jam, and many or perhaps even most couldn't even make it through a stage without one.

There are plenty of gunsmiths who can build a nice, tight, accurate 1911 that runs.

Les Baer is not among them.

When he builds guns that run, I'll stop criticizing his product.

Until then, there will be people like you defending him, and he'll keep churning out the nice looking paperweights he's been churning out for a long time.

And all I wanted to do was create a post mentioning how much I like my new gun. Didn't know it'd be trolled so hastily...oh well

I'm not a pro shooter, or a classified uspsa/IPSc/limited ninja, so hey, what do I know right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would beg to differ. I know of no manufacturer who makes a larger proportion of jammomatics than Les Baer.

My own personal experience is that they are incredibly reliable. And I'd say that the overwhelming opinion of other owners is that they are quite good. It's rare that I hear anyone voice the opinion you just tossed out. (Though I seem to remember a similar comment elsewhere that is essentially word-for-word what you just wrote. So I'm guessing this is a repeat.)

I don't generally shoot mine in compeitition - though I did recently shoot it in a match. Not a single jam.

You might gather from my classifier record that I enjoy shooting 1911s. I don't really have anything against Les Baer, although I have heard he's not a very nice guy and will cuss you out if you call him and tell him that the gun he built for you won't run. His guns look nice and if I wanted one for bullseye or for a wall decoration I would be happy to own one.

I was reluctant to even make a post in this thread because posting such a comment is inevitably followed by people who feel the need to defend their purchases with an anecdote from their own gun.

I have just never seen one make it through a match without a jam, and many or perhaps even most couldn't even make it through a stage without one.

There are plenty of gunsmiths who can build a nice, tight, accurate 1911 that runs.

Until then, there will be people like you defending him, and he'll keep churning out the nice looking paperweights he's been churning out for a long time.

I own two excellent Les Baer 1911s (a 9mm and a .40) and shoot with a number of people who use Les Baer 1911s in competition, with good results. So I'm wondering if the person whose opinions are based on anecdotal experience might actually be you, Tim? Is there someone you shoot with who has had persistent trouble with his Les Baer pistol?

Edited by Carmoney

I don't feel the need to defend my purchase. I just feel the need to offer a counterpoint to what sounds like a bit of hyperbole on your part. Maybe you've seen a few Les Baers have issues at matches. There's no way we can know what caused those issues. Bad ammo? Bad gun? Bad mag? Poor maintenance?

I'd agree that they don't make guns ideally suited for these games. I've added a few upgrades to mine, including an aftec extractor, better sights, a magwell and an ambi safety. And if I wanted a gun purely for competition, it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice.

But you are essentially saying the company produces the worst 1911 (for action pistol competition) in the world. And that just sounds silly.

I don't feel the need to defend my purchase. I just feel the need to offer a counterpoint to what sounds like a bit of hyperbole on your part. Maybe you've seen a few Les Baers have issues at matches. There's no way we can know what caused those issues. Bad ammo? Bad gun? Bad mag? Poor maintenance?

I'd agree that they don't make guns ideally suited for these games. I've added a few upgrades to mine, including an aftec extractor, better sights, a magwell and an ambi safety. And if I wanted a gun purely for competition, it wouldn't necessarily be my first choice.

But you are essentially saying the company produces the worst 1911 (for action pistol competition) in the world. And that just sounds silly.

Ill bet you did not buy it to make HIM happy. Have fun and enjoy :cheers:

Im going out on a limb here and going to say, "you dont or never have owned one". Mine has around 10K rounds through it and has been to near 50 matches including WSSSC. I have had may be 5-6 problems with it the entire time and may by 2 were in matches. Everyone was ammo/magazine related and not one was the guns fault. I also personally know several other LB owners who can say the same. Im sure what ever gun you own, someone would say was a jam-o-matic and they never seen one make it through a match, which I seriously doubt is 100%true in your case as im sure you do not know everyone at the matches and know what they shoot.

My P2 never jams, with any ammo. I've had it for at least 12 years and it's still VERY tight and accurate. BTW, I use an Ed Brown 2-piece magwell, and I've never experienced it loosening, unless I deliberately remove it. No loctite either. They are simply great guns.

Only reason I was leaning towards the S&A was it being a one piece, not two...if that even makes a difference though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I the S & A and it is a great choice. cheers.

Only reason I was leaning towards the S&A was it being a one piece, not two...if that even makes a difference though.

thanks brother! S & A it is!

thanks brother! S & A it is!

Ill throw one more in. Wilson Combat 1 piece. It is more expensive but 30lpi and the nice bevel. I just put one on mine and love it. It does take a lot of time to fit though. Lots of filing as the underside is oversized. Where the bottom of the frame hits the MSH/Magwell corner needed a ton. but well worth it as it is now Baer tight.

Edited by ricardo28

Welcome to the club. You will not be disappointed.

I got mine in 1995. Had malfunctions for two reasons: cleaned it and forgot to lube, you can't run any custom 1911 dry. Second, I waited too long to change recoil springs. The recommended interval i have heard is when the spring is one coil shorter than new. Mine was 3 coils short.

The gun is not as tight as it used to be, but such is life.

I shot my PMII in uspsa competition for two years shooting 25-30+ local matches each year plus at least two major matches. I also practiced with it. Total rounds was about 15,000 during that time. I cannot remember a failure of any kind. Accuracy was and remains stupid good. I put the pistol aside for a year to shoot production. Last weekend we had a single stack "reunion" at a local club. So I dusted off the PMII, and shot the match without even cleaning the mags. No jams. Placed second @ 97.77%.

That is my experience with les baer.

Oh yeah, I run a S&A magwell because they look super and work well and enhance the beauty of the les bear's all business look.

Edited by lawboy

good luck and enjoy! I have 10s of thousands of rounds through mine, and I still need a tool to take it apart.

Mine is exactly the same. Still tight but smoothed out and still need a bushing wrench to get it apart. Been a great pistol

I use my concept III as a carry. I can promise I would not carry a gun I didn't trust to protect my family. I shot this Baer for about a year in Single Stack (USPSA) w/o an issue. Then I move to limited and my Baer became carry and home defense. Cheers.

Nice!Thanks for sharing your purchase experience and the follow thru ?s...

A training friend of mine is a 1911 snob: his 1911 collection is worth somewhere in the $40-50K range, I'm guessing. He has over a dozen which are "custom" pistols, not factory. He uses them for work in Security operations, they all run. Then, he found a used TRS for a deal too good to be true and snagged one for giggles. He sincerely commented that he no longer has to fish for the 1911 of his dreams, the TRS is the one, and it is one of those things where words do not work to describe it.

That's not me defending the LBs. That's me making a reasonable and rationale argument to my wife for our next pistol purchase!

Congrats dude!

Funny, I don't have one so I don't have a dog in the fight but;

there is a guy I shoot a match with twice a month that runs one and I can't remember it having any issues.

Two people on my squad a the Florida Open this year, and last year, were shooting them with no issues.

Thanks to all of you whom posted. Just ran another 1k through it this past weekend...great gun!!!

Very happy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see. If you check out 1911 forum, there is a LB forum. Lots of great info on these guns as well as many with 10,000 of thousands of rounds through them. One now has over 2k thru it without cleaning.

• 1 month later...