Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Carbo-Nitride (TiCN) coating on 2011

Maxximuss

Calico recommended that I contact crypticcoatings.com they are a customer of Calico.

I wrote Cryptic Coatings today as I really like their "Mystic Black" coating. I think that it would look great on a 1911.

However their response was that they only coat the products that they sell.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks like I should start a company of coating guns through Calico. The draw back is these coating are not cheap, you are looking at probably $400 for a frame and slide on a 2011. But, you do get what you pay for, the coating is extremely hard and slick. If I tried to be a middleman and make any money it would really become expensive.

Cryptic Coating owner is an employee at Calico. All the "Mystic" names are just special names for standard TiN, TiCN, DLC, AlTin, CrN and TiAlN. Probably a good idea so it doesn't confuse people.

Calico recommended that I contact crypticcoatings.com they are a customer of Calico.

I wrote Cryptic Coatings today as I really like their "Mystic Black" coating. I think that it would look great on a 1911.

However their response was that they only coat the products that they sell.

That's a bummer.

• 5 months later...

I recently had several 2011 frames, slides, barrels, and small parts coated by Crystallume PVD. They do great work and don't require you to fill up the whole batch. The offer a TiCN in a copper color or gray/blue. They have an AlTiN in a black (slight tint of violet under direct sunlight). I personally did both of these coating and they turned out great. They offer DLC, CrN, and TiN also. I have a couple pictures of them completed but can't get them to post here. Let me know if you can help me post some pictures again.

Here is what I have learn recently in these coating endeavors:

CALICO COATINGS:

Pros= Excellent prep work in their Super and Micro Finish, it makes it as smooth as glass.

Flawless coatings.

Proven to hold up (I have put about 5k rounds on top of countless dry fire and draw strokes from a Kydex holster, there is NO wear visible anywhere)

Very friendly employees... just very busy

Cons= You have to purchase the entire batch, so you better fill it up.

They are very busy with car parts, tools, etc so it might be a while before they will fit you in.

The Micro Finish is very bright, like a mirror. Not everyone wants their gun that shiny.

They are more expensive.

They don't like small parts.

CRYSTALLUME PVD:

Pros= Excellent prep for matte coatings.

They can do the tiniest piece you can throw at them.

You can pay by the percentage of the batch you take up.

Very fast turn around.

Excellent customer service, if you aren't happy they will make it right.

Nick Molnar, one of the engineers/salesman is a 1911 guy.

Cons= They only offer matte finish, you have to have the prep done yourself if you want it otherwise.

Your frame might have to wait because they are just finishing obtaining their FFL. Should be done any day now.

I haven't had this coating long enough to testify to durability.

The frame and slide on the 2011 is TiCN (gray/blue color). The small controls and barrel on both guns are TiCN (copper/bronze color). They are both done in matte finish. It is really difficult to get a picture to give a true idea of color. I will put up more high quality photos soon.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is my STI Tactical 5.0 2011 coated in TiCN by Crystallume PVD. The barrel and frame/slide are actually both TiCN, just different variations. I had Calico Coatings do the prep work, it was their Super Microfinish. It feels smooth as butter and runs great. Crystallume runs the gray version of TiCN about 3 times per day. You don't have to buy the whole batch like we did at Calico. You can just pay for the percentage of the batch you use. The were great to work with! Contact Nick at Crystallume PVD if you have any questions, 866-783-9700.

post-41809-0-49861800-1430087609_thumb.j

post-41809-0-27772400-1430087628_thumb.j

• 3 weeks later...

The STI Tactical up top is coated in TiCN (Titanium CarboNitride). The STI Edge on the bottom is coated in AlTiN (Aluminum Titanium Nitride). It is really had to get a picture of these colors to show how great they look in person.

post-41809-0-14230400-1431731751_thumb.j

• 1 year later...

Reviving this dinosaur of a thread. Is there anyone else that was inspired to get this TiCN finish done, particularly the matte version? I'd like this finish on a P-09 slide, but the pics above (of the TiCN barrels) look more or less like the commonly "gold" or yellow TiN finish. I'm looking specifically for more of a copper color.

LMK, thanks!

-MM

• 1 month later...
On 4/26/2015 at 6:38 PM, Maxximuss said:

Here is my STI Tactical 5.0 2011 coated in TiCN by Crystallume PVD. The barrel and frame/slide are actually both TiCN, just different variations. I had Calico Coatings do the prep work, it was their Super Microfinish. It feels smooth as butter and runs great. Crystallume runs the gray version of TiCN about 3 times per day. You don't have to buy the whole batch like we did at Calico. You can just pay for the percentage of the batch you use. The were great to work with! Contact Nick at Crystallume PVD if you have any questions, 866-783-9700.

Tactical 1.jpg

Tactical 2.jpg

That looks pretty awesome. Sucks to have to send it to one place for prep work and another for coating though.