Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Carbo-Nitride (TiCN) coating on 2011

Maxximuss

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/24/2016 at 10:40 PM, waktasz said:

Sweet. I hadn't heard of that place, but they are 20 minutes from the range I belong to. I'm going to have to visit them.

Can I ask how much you paid?

$300 for everything.

4 hours ago, BeerBaron said:

Looks very nice. :) 

i am curious as to why you put the racker on the right side when I assume you're right handed (thumb rest on left)?

Yes, right handed. Started shooting Open with different gun and racker on right.  Builder put this racker on left originally.  90 degree mount puts left sided racker in the way of my right thumb.  After slamming racker into end of thumb which is horribly painful, I switched back to right side. I'm used to right side I guess.

14 hours ago, cbrconst said:

$300 for everything.

Yes, right handed. Started shooting Open with different gun and racker on right.  Builder put this racker on left originally.  90 degree mount puts left sided racker in the way of my right thumb.  After slamming racker into end of thumb which is horribly painful, I switched back to right side. I'm used to right side I guess.

fair enough. I can see after a racker to thumb collision I would want to change too. I was just curious as I run a similar setup (cheely setback 90 mount and brazos horizontal zigracker but on the left side). it's very close to hitting the cmore/mount but doesn't touch even in reccoil and my thumb is so far un damaged! touch wood. :)

On 9/26/2016 at 6:20 PM, wgj3 said:

Where to get ultra polished copper-colored finish now...?

I've also been doing a lot of research and cold calling looking for copper color PVD. Richter said they don't do it anymore. The places that seem to have the most promise for getting a good copper color are:

1. Crystallume http://crystallumepvd.com/
  2. ACS Coating http://acscoating.com/
  3. Swiss-Tek Coating (they state their color has more red in it) http://swiss-tekcoatings.com/coatinginfo.html

I've got a list of at least 10 shops that won't/can't do it.

I'm looking to have accessories done, safeties, slide stop etc. in the TiCN-MP, but I'd also like to get the aluminum parts, magwell, trigger bow etc. From what I've found its really difficult to get a TiCN coating on Aluminum, but I've got a few places willing to try. From what I've been told, having the parts anodized first helps adhesion. 

Does anyone know of a shop that can do TiCN MP on aluminum substrate? I'd really like the same color on all the parts.

31 minutes ago, waktasz said:

I have been talking with Crystallume about getting some mags done. The thing that sucks is they only offer a matte finish unless you send it somewhere else first to have a high polish done.

Correct, the thin film PVD coatings adopt the surface finish of the substrate they adhere to. The coatings are only a couple microns thick, not enough to fill the small valleys/pits in a non polished surface.

for those interested, I also received some more info that to coat aluminum the parts need to be nickel plated first, not anodized.

On 7/27/2016 at 0:23 PM, MissionaryMike said:

Reviving this dinosaur of a thread. Is there anyone else that was inspired to get this TiCN finish done, particularly the matte version? I'd like this finish on a P-09 slide, but the pics above (of the TiCN barrels) look more or less like the commonly "gold" or yellow TiN finish. I'm looking specifically for more of a copper color.

LMK, thanks!

-MM

The Crystallume does a TiCN finish that is copper colored. Just call them and speak with Nick Molnar and say Jeremy sent you.