Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Titanium Carbo-Nitride (TiCN) coating on 2011

Maxximuss

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to give an update on the finish after using it a little. The more I use and handle the pistol the more impressed I am with this coating. A few things to note:

1. It is super slick. I am gonna try to run my Les Baer without any lube and see what happens. It is slick enough that it is definitely worth a try.

2. Finish isn't very thick. My pistol was very tight when sent out. I have about 10k through it and you still had to use a bushing wrench to get it apart and then tap the bushing out of the slide with the barrel lower lugs. After coating it still goes back together smoothly and doesn't really seem to be any tighter. Keep in mind that the frame to slide fit, barrel to bushing fit, and slide to bushing fit were all very tight to begin with.

4. Cleanup is incredibly easy and just a matter of wiping off fouling. I've got to think that the matte finish wouldn't clean up quite as easy, but would think fouling would still just wipe off.

3. Color is a subjective thing, but I love the way it looks with the black (blued) slide. Closest comparison I can come up with is that it looks like copper plating with a tad more shine

Durability is hard to evaluate at this point as I have been shooting my open rig mostly, so only have a few hundred rounds through the pistol after coating.

O ya and if you are in dire need of a signal mirror at a match, you have it in your holster!!!

Thanks for posting that. I knew they made Desert Eagles in TiCN but had a difficult time find pictures of them. It is strange that different companies TiCN can have such wide variations in color from gray to purple to copper.

• 3 months later...

I phoned David Adams at Calico Coatings to ask a few questions about their TiCN process, as I have a slide, a M2 bolt and a few barrels I'd like to get this specific finish on.

Turns out they have recently changed their policy and won't be taking any more firearms parts for coating. Anyone know of any other vendors who could take on this kind of work?

I found http://coatingservicesgroup.com and they will coat my parts with TiCN - but their type of TiCN doesn't come out rose gold (and I think the polishing prep would have to be done elsewhere).

The only other place I've found that would appear to be set up to coat a firearms part with rose gold PVD is here: http://www.crypticcoatings.com/mystic-bronze-bolt-carrier-group-coating - I phoned them, but they will only coat parts they supply i.e. their BCGs.

Edited by MattG

It has been a learning experience for Calico on coating gun parts. They lost money on the first batch, the parts we sent in filled 3 batches but they only charged us for 1. I did a second batch and they had to raise the price, costing everyone involved significantly more. I didn't make a dime for either batch. I have had several other people express interest in doing another batch, it's just kind of a headache for me. I'll IM you my number if you are interested.