Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help training wife

Chase1

Hello everybody. New here :)

Question about training wife. She's really been excited about shooting which is cool and not a bad shot for a new shooter. The problem appears to be that I'm a horrible teacher.

Here's her current issue. Her groupings aren't bad, Need improvement but not bad. Problem is they're so random. 4 shots high/right. 4 low/left etc. there never seems to be a consistent patern which makes it hard to figure out

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

If she is still relatively new to shooting there may be some flinching (load noise, recoil impulse etc.). Sometimes just a long session 100-200 rounds will help reduce that as she gets used to the noise/impulse.

You don't mention what type of gun, assuming a first double-action, second single action try this test:

Set up two IPSC targets about 15 yards away. Have her draw to the first target, fire one shot then swing to the second target and then fire one shot. Re-holster, repeat 5-10 times.

If shooting DA then SA you may see a bunch of shots on the left target that are off to the left while the shots on the right are more central, this could indicate if the first double action the trigger pull is too long, might need a smaller grip. It will also show if she is shifting grip between shots.

Also a dry fire regimen is a must. This will help with sight alignment and trigger control. Traditionally the low left is caused by anticipation of recoil and squeezing the trigger with the whole hand. Another thing to make sure of is that she is not "Playing her slice" what I mean by that is she is not holding high right in anticipation of pulling the shot low left so compensating for where she thinks the bullet will go.

LOL ya I know the teaching wife thing. Thats not so much the problem as it is me analyzing the problem i.e tight groups, just never in the center.

Straighup & BritinUSA both great bits of advice, thank you very much. The dry fire regimen occured to me earlier this morning.

Thanks again

PS. She picked a Sig M11A1 as her first pistol.

First rule for a happy marriage - NEVER try to teach your wife to drive or shoot. If you have a friend who is good, or a good local trainer have her learn with them.

Best decision we made-- wife took a couple of small group classes with two different trainers. No arguing and she listened *grin*

Dry fire helped her see what she was doing, both well and only slightly incorrectly *glancing over shoulder as I type*

See if you can find the NRA "Women on Target" class in your area. It's designed specifically for women and even though she may hear the same words you'd be telling her sometimes hearing it from someone else makes all the difference.

I saw this and had to wait a while before posting.... Train the wife? ARE YOU OUTTA YOUR FREAKING MIND? First, you must understand, you aren't "training the wife".... you are acclimating to the training she has given you...Second, don't even try to "train the wife", any knowledge you pass on to her will undoubtedly be used against you further down the line, if it is even retained. Third, get someone else to "train the wife" as stated before....that way, when she gets mad and fed up, she's not mad and fed up with you...

What Grumpy said! Deflect her emotional responses AWAY from you.

BTW, the first homicide I ever wrote after only a week on the job, was a domestic wherein *drum roll* he taught her to shoot the 22 Ruger she used on him (and the walls, the aquarium, the furniture, etc).

Mark

Tell her she has to do all the reloading.

When she gets 10,000 rounds completed properly, move onto shooting.

Hmm, going to try this. Be right back........ Nope didn't work. She did laugh.

I like the idea of getting somebody else to do it. My wife can outshoot me with a .22 rifle but it makes me cringe to watch, she shoots like a girl.

I saw this and had to wait a while before posting.... Train the wife? ARE YOU OUTTA YOUR FREAKING MIND? First, you must understand, you aren't "training the wife".... you are acclimating to the training she has given you...Second, don't even try to "train the wife", any knowledge you pass on to her will undoubtedly be used against you further down the line, if it is even retained. Third, get someone else to "train the wife" as stated before....that way, when she gets mad and fed up, she's not mad and fed up with you...

I'm getting this framed. :roflol:

Amateur! Wives are trainable -- it just takes persistence over a loooooooooooong time......

:D :D

Says the dreamer just before reality arrives !!! :roflol:

Mine cuts the grass and tends to anything outside the four walls of the house that needs doing......

AAMOF, she's shoveling snow at the moment......

Of course we're coming up on 27 years of wedded bliss -- so I've had time to perfect my methods...... :P :P

First rule for a happy marriage - NEVER try to teach your wife to drive or shoot. If you have a friend who is good, or a good local trainer have her learn with them.

This is true.

Edited by Scott Steele

Says the dreamer just before reality arrives !!! :roflol:

Mine cuts the grass and tends to anything outside the four walls of the house that needs doing......

AAMOF, she's shoveling snow at the moment......

Of course we're coming up on 27 years of wedded bliss -- so I've had time to perfect my methods...... :P :P

Jim Jones could get people to do the same kinda stuff....