Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help training wife

Chase1

LOL best response so far is obviously RGKeller :)

really appreciate all the feedback. Wife and I are on 15th year and I've taught her to skydive, rock climb, scuba and ride a harley. I'll figure it out eventually.

What does seem to be working is I taught her the form. She's got it. Now shes going to just dial it in on her own. She'll get there no doubt.

Now if I could train her to cook, life will be good

I'd fully agree that some husbands and wives can teach each other without problems. However, i'd say those are in the minority.

Usually the problem arises over advice which is taken as criticism, which leads to a heated rebuttal which then ends the "lesson" !!

If a stranger offers the same advice it is taken in a different light.

and who is training who?

if you are having some issues that you are having trouble

deciding the cause...

please have someone else evaluate/train.

the hard part here is to not argue with that training...

my sweetie learned a lot of driving from me.

she would not listen to me about how to parallel park.

my friend Richard got her through it in an afternoon.

I knew the problem had nothing to do with the car or parking.

miranda

and who is training who?

if you are having some issues that you are having trouble

deciding the cause...

please have someone else evaluate/train.

the hard part here is to not argue with that training...

my sweetie learned a lot of driving from me.

she would not listen to me about how to parallel park.

my friend Richard got her through it in an afternoon.

I knew the problem had nothing to do with the car or parking.

miranda

The driving instruction story brings back memories. I tried to teach my wife how to drive a manual transmission vehicle shortly after we started dating. It didn't go well and it was really all my fault. I thought she had the truck in 1st but it was actually in 3rd. After the 50th time she choked it down I called it quits and realized then what had happened.

• 1 month later...

Not sure I saw this in the thread, but to diagnose what she's doing as far as trigger pull and inconsistent results you could def try loading up mags with some snap caps mixed in and watching her perform a few set drills to see her habits.

Wish I could even get my wife interested in the hobby!

• 4 weeks later...

See if you can get her to spend some time with a private instructor. A little bit of good advice is better then all the well meaning help you get from others at the range. See if any of the other women shooters also mentor or teach.

• 2 weeks later...

Just remember that whatever happens down the road...............It WILL be your fault and not with just the shooting either.

The sooner you accept that the better off you will be.

Will repeat what everyone has said..............find another instructor to help her (preferably another female but you may not have that option). Another shooter is an "ok" option but my first choice would be an instructor....well worth the extra money and I'm sure she would appreciate and respect the training more.

• 2 weeks later...

Detail question Chase. What distance is she shooting her Sig at? If she's relatively new to 9mm, ya might consider 5-7 yards for confidence building. Is she shooting the first round double action or is she shooting the single action pull across the board? We all have our opinion and I'm not sayin mine are necessarily right for her but, I have worked with a number of female shooters and have drawn on some of Mike Seeklanders videos as teaching aids. M.S. is pretty sharp and spot on with a number of his drills. Between his videos and some "coaching" I've turned out some fair to decent female shooters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1. She's looking at the target. Ask her if she can see the holes appear in the target. If she can, then she is not paying proper attention to the front sight. Front sight, front sight, front sight.

2. Like most women that I teach, she probably has pretty good natural point of aim. Which for a beginner might seem great, but since they tend to get hits early & easily, they tend to pick up the bad habit of not following through. See point #1.

3. If #1 is not the issue, check her grip. She might be reajusting slightly after every shot.

Go see a pro. Just like I block out 90% of what my wife says, they probably do the same. The exact same words coming from someone else might solve the problem. Good luck.

• 5 months later...

First rule for a happy marriage - NEVER try to teach your wife to drive or shoot.

+1.

++++++++or play any sport. Get lessons for her. Don't take the chance of screwing up a fun thing you can do with your wife.