Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.45acp to .40 S&W?

plattj1

Just go to the SP .45 cases. Not sure if all the "haters" have noticed, but, as the years go by, there will be more and more SP .45s and less and less LP .45s.

Then, you can just go to SRPs in everything and really simplify your supply problem and reloading efforts.

A really good 1911 smith advised me that it would be cheaper to just buy a 1911 in .40 than buy a new top end and get it fitted (barrel to the slide & bushing and slide to frame). I was already impressed with his knowledge of the 1911 from talking to him, but when he turned down work because it wouldn't be cost effective for the customer, I knew he was special.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with lawboy, buy another press,have one press setup for small primers and one press setup for large primers.

I'm with these two guys ...could get by well with a cheaper square deal for LPP and keep the 650 for all the diff. small primer calibers

A really good 1911 smith advised me that it would be cheaper to just buy a 1911 in .40 than buy a new top end and get it fitted (barrel to the slide & bushing and slide to frame).

I don't think that's true. I'm building a 40 slide for my 1911 and I priced it out at $600 without sights or springs (since I have spares). That's for a Caspian stainless slide with sight cuts already and a pre-fit Nowlin barrel. I will have to do any slide/frame and bushing/slide fitting myself but I could also send the parts to a gunsmiths for $200. Add the cost of sights and you're looking at $900 for a slide that uses your existing frame with any and all goodies/work you've put into it.

Compare that to a Dawson CRP Trojan at $1235 and add the price of a trigger job, plus FFL fees. Seems like the slide is $400-$500 cheaper. Granted, you then have two guns instead of one, but personally I can only shoot one gun at a time.

Most of the small primer brass I have been seeing is blazer, if that helps any.

I've just been running across alot of that as of late myself , just been tossing into separate container.

Edited by usmc90