Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

are kydex holsters and blued guns compatible?

MetropolisLake

Kydex even wear glock finishes off and you can't hardly drill that stuff! Depends on how much you use it but yes it will wear off.

I got a new comptac red international and put my 35 in it. Gouged the piss out of it on the slide. You wouldn't think a bad mold mark would do that. But I learned to check "new" holsters that way.

It will wear a finish as the sti finish is not very strong to begin with. I understand it's a nice gun for you but it's gonna get worn but when it does it's easily refinished. The race holster is easier on the finish but it offers zero protection for the gun banging into stuff. Are you mainly using the gun for 3 gun? I run a g code for mine with the hood on it for 3 gun and if I move first I engage the hood. If I draw the pistol on the start the hood is forward. Getting some wear isn't the same as abusing the gun.

Are you mainly using the gun for 3 gun?

Yes, pretty much 100% 3-gun except for local IDPA'ish stuff where they're not too picky about equipment. I have two BladeTech WRS holsters and love them but they're for a Glock with cerakote and an FNX with a stainless slide, not a nearly $2,000 gun with a blued slide.

Is an open/race holster really that big of a no-no for 3-gun? Can they really just fall out?

The Double Alpha racemaster when locked will not allow the gun to come out no matter what. When unlocked you can almost bump it out with your arm if you hit it right. The location of the lock allows you to unlock it naturally during the draw so you could keep it locked. If you dont unlock it you will pull your pants over your head before it comes out.

Yeah, Every blued STI I have used with kydex holster has had a lot of "character" very quickly. They do make some nice kydex with suede liners these days that are supposed to help with this, but i have no experience with them. As others have said, most people just get it refinished with something better when the time comes. Maybe think of that as a good time to do some upgrades like tri topping etc since you will have to get it refinished then anyway.

Not sure about the Kydex but can say that the best lined and fitted leather holsters will get to them when a lot of practice and/or match time is added to the count. The constant polishing action on the protruding parts will give a regularly used gun its character. My uggerly stainless guns seem to camo it a good bit longer than most BUT to me stainless is not pretty enough to worry about anyhows!

I'm in the same boat as you. I bought the STI Sentry. Most money I've ever spent on a gun, and although I treat them like tools... I'd like them to last a while!

I got a tucker gunleather kydex/leather holster. Seems alright for now. Is wearing kind of fast, but the owner said if I jack up the leather we can look at relining it for cheap. The finish on the STI seems unphased.

It is a very smooth draw, but it's not as forgiving as kydex. You have to draw it out properly.

Edited by OscarMike

One thing shooters don't do is clean out the Kydex holster before and after use. Silicone on a rag does wonders. I have a 1911 11 yrs old with over 100k on it[bottom gun ] and the 1st thing I did was hard chrome the slide, but the Kydex still left a mark on it..

post-4535-0-24165600-1393018734_thumb.jp

top gun is a carry gun, logged over 250 days last yr

Edited by GmanCdp