Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Single Action During a Match

ZackJones

I'm pretty sure I know the answer but thought I'd toss the question out. During the ICORE match this past weekend we were shooting some 4" rectangles at a pretty far distance. I noticed several revolver shooters were cocking into single action mode for the steel. I always shoot double action even though I still have the hammer so I could cock into single action. Is there ever a good reason to take the time to shoot single action?

What's single action? Is that the funny spur thingy on the hammer thingy?

In my opinion, No.

it'll take you more time to lose your grip, cock the hammer, re grip, re sight in, and then make the shot..... Just take a nice slow DA shot.

In NRA Action Pistol Production you "Must" shoot everything DA. Not so in USPSA/ICORE.

It could be an advantage with a long, difficult shot. The bad side is my POI seems to change a bit between the two. But if you have checked it and know where it hits, might be more comfortable to a shooter at looooong range.

Though I've tried it in practice and seem to hit just as well DA as SA at even extended ranges.

If you have a good DA trigger job there is no need to shoot SA. I shoot everything DA including Big Bore Metallic Silhouette from 50 to 200 meters. It's just a matter of what you train for. Once you discover through practice that you can get good hits with DA at 100 yds. or more, anything less is a piece of cake. Get good up close, then as you can put them all in one ragged hole move back and get good at that distance. Then move back again. This does not happen overnight, but is very liberating to never have to worry about how far a target is.

It all comes down to keeping the sight(s) on the target while pulling the trigger and hold still through the shot. If you can truly master the previous sentence you will always be at the top of the pack in a match. It is possible to do this slow, fast or anything in between.

Edited by Toolguy

Never ever shot SA in an ICORE/USPSA/NRA AP Match, only in SASS. Took down a Texas Star at 50 yds with the M29 & 44 russians using DA at a match though. Saw Wideload take down a couple of Pepper Poppers at 70 yds DA in a Match also, I tried and missed the same ones.

I've seen a few old-timers switch to SA on long shots. I've watched them closely: first they lose all tempo they might have had and they have a habit of jerking the SA trigger. It really is a bad idea. One of my brothers was telling me how good he was shooting his revo. I asked if he was shooting DA and if he wasn't he was a dork. Took him 2 months to get over that! LOL

Bob

IA203

• 1 month later...

I'll chime in here (late again), but maybe somebody might benefit from it.

We like to throw in 25, 35, or longer yard shots at some of our club matches (not USPSA or ICORE), and we often do this with a par time. Even with generous par times, I cannot shoot fast enough in single action to take advantage of the extra accuracy. I say double action is the way to go.