Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement for Clays

bigdawgbeav

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the plant that produces Solo 1000 caught fire? :goof: I have been looking for quite a while now without any success. I also rate this(S1000) as one of the powders close to CLAYS, That being said , I did stumble across two pounds of ClayDot at a Store in Atlanta. I will be loading and testing soon in 38 and 45.

I wonder if the plant that produces Solo 1000 caught fire? :goof: I have been looking for quite a while now without any success. I also rate this(S1000) as one of the powders close to CLAYS, That being said , I did stumble across two pounds of ClayDot at a Store in Atlanta. I will be loading and testing soon in 38 and 45.

Depending on what type of load you're looking for give Trail Boss a try if you can find it and are loading lead or coated bullets. It's a great powder for light loads. That's what I use for steel challenge and ICORE.

Ramshot Competition is 1/10 of a gran slower than clays without pressure spikes.

I have worked up loads in 9mm 40 and 45 and it takes .1 more to match clays velocities using the same everything else.

That is excellent to know. I have a lead on an 8lb jug and most likely will get it since I'm down to 3lbs of Clays. Looks like 3.8gr of Ramshot Competition will get me where I want with my Bayou Bullets... I'll make sure to chrono my loads though.

Edited by bigdawgbeav

Only have a few hundred reloaded using Ram Comp', but it's definitely messier than Clays/ClayDot. The smaller flake seems to float down after the second stage is done on my 550, leaving traces of powder everywhere after just a short while.

I have a variety of loads worked up using both ClayDot and Ram Comp'. If I find that ClayDot is in fact just as good as Clays, I'll have a new favorite.

While I won't be able to chrony until next month, I'll be testing for accuracy and perceived recoil next week.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried the ClayDot in 38spl with 135 Bayou. I started with 3.1gr. SubMinor, but soft shooting at 652 fps. I used a Lee Disk Powder dispenser and volume/weight it appears to be the same a Clays. I am going to bump up to 3.4 grs . next. I will post results when I get a chance to go back to range. Not really trying to make Minor, just plinking load.

Oh yeah, this was out of 5" L Frame.

I found WST was an identical substitute for Clays when I ran out, maybe even a hint less felt recoil.

4.1gr makes 175 PF with a standard 230gr LRN at 1.250 out of my 625JM. I haven't chronoed these through my 1911, but most recommendations you'll find suggest 4.2gr with that bullet.

I picked up a 4lb jug of 700x as a backup if I can't find Clays or WST when my current supply runs out. I haven't run up any loads yet.

700x is all I can find locally. Not a bad price from several different suppliers. I am going to pick up 8lbs. Monday or Tuesday. I can't find Federal primers anywhere. I am down to 3k for Large pistol, and 5 k for small pistol. Having to pay $40+ for 1k here.

700x is all I can find locally. Not a bad price from several different suppliers. I am going to pick up 8lbs. Monday or Tuesday. I can't find Federal primers anywhere. I am down to 3k for Large pistol, and 5 k for small pistol. Having to pay $40+ for 1k here.

I lucked into a couple 1# cans of Clays last weekend but paid $28/per. Any pistol powder has been an infrequent find but I see rifle powder more frequently recently than it has been. Primers are running $38 - $40/1k here also but seem to be more readily available than they were just weeks ago.

SS

• 1 month later...

Found some ClayDOt. Bought 8 lbs. I hope it isn't a mistake.

You lucked out! I ran some ClayDot loads over a chrony last month and found them to be identical to Clays. So congrats on your score.

• 2 months later...

Older thread but I recently watched a powerfactorshow interview with Chris Hodgdon and the question about the availability of Clays came up. Chris Hodgdon says 700X is so close to Clays in performance that it is a great alternative. Steve of PowerFactor, who has been a longtime lover of Clays, recently switched to 700X for availabilty and said he likes it so much that he probably won't go back to Clays, even when supply comes back. I have been using 700x for .45 for about 2 weeks now and I really like it. Had a few issues with drop consistency at first but wiped down the inside of the Dillon hopper with cheap dryer sheets and I have little variance know when throwing 4.6 gr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jphEvE3IXkw

Edited by JLeeCZ