Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Replacement for Clays

bigdawgbeav

I know that perceived recoil is a personal matter and not everyone feels it the same way. I did not find N310 to have soft recoil compared to e3 either. I actually find that RS Comp to be the softest in .45. That does not mean you are wrong in what you say, it just means for you it may be perceived softer. N310 is clean and it is damned accurate but for me and my Wife it has a snappier recoil and a louder report than either e3, Clays or RS Comp. That's why they make so many, so we can all find one that fits us best. I don't have any problem metering e3, I know a lot of people do but it meters as well as any powder in my Dillon measures. If I had a choice of only one powder for 9, 40 or 45 I would pick e3 just because there is no downside I can find with it. It is clean, has a moderate report and just as accurate as any powder I have ever used.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Base772, for me, e3 meters better than Clay Dot. The worst variation I get is 0.1gr every now and then. Clay Dot has a tendency to bridge in my reloader, and I never get good SDs with it. I use CD for practice loads in the winter, just to use it up.

As far as N310 being softer, it isn't. VV fibs about expected velocities. You'll need to check that with a chrono so you are comparing apples to apples. Also, N310 is extremely temp sensitive, where e3 is not. If you matched velocities at 85 degrees, e3 will give you the same velocity at 40 deg, while N310 will feel a lot softer, because the velocity loss was so high. When I finish up my last 4 lbs. of N310, I won't be buying more. WST, Clays and e3 are far better choices if you want faster powders. Use Solo 1000 if you want a slower burning powder. I use it for my Major loads and never fail to get single digit SDs with them.

Thanks for the info zzt. Like you said I did get faster velocities with with the same load with e3. My Ramshot Competition will be showing up tomorrow. Going to give that a try as well.