Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge with AR 22lr Question?

Rifle shooting is the weakest part of my three gun. Though I am not sure I have a strength.

In my part of the country it's hard to find rifle ranges that aren't a good drive. However, there is a local Steel Challenge match, I was thinking of taking my M&P 22 and using it for practice. I know it won't help for long range stuff, but I was wondering if it might help with faster target acquisition and speed?

Just wanted to get some thoughts and to see if anyone else has found that type of shooting a benefit.

Thanks

Yes - my .22LR AR is not exactly setup the same as my 3Gun rifle, but it's close enough that it has dramatically upped my rifle game in 3Gun matches - especially anything 50 yards or less. You learn how to do target-to-target transitions very quickly.

I use an M&P 15-22 for 3 gun practice.

I found it too be so light that it was way too easy to transition with as opposed to my real 3g rifle.

I ended up filling the stock and grip with lead, and taped a 2.5# dumbell bar to the rail far enough out to make it index more like my 3g rifle.

It looks dumb but it feels better.

Thanks,I was hoping it would be beneficial. Not too concerned about the rifles. My 3G is a Stag 3G with Burris XTR, The 22 is an M&P 22 with a Tac 30. Might try adding some lead to give the M&P a little more heft.

My goal is to get at least 200 practice rounds of rifle a month between April and September (excluding matches). I was thinking 100 22 and 100 5.56. I know that is probably not much for many of you, but that would be about that would be about 1100 ,more than last year.

Sounds like good practice to me, fun too.

Wondering why more guys just don't use a .22 conversion in their actual 3-gun rifle? Granted the accuracy sucks, but its good enough for close range

once you find out just how filthy dirty the 22LR round makes your match rifle.....you'll make your insert into a dedicated upper

Wondering why more guys just don't use a .22 conversion in their actual 3-gun rifle? Granted the accuracy sucks, but its good enough for close range

once you find out just how filthy dirty the 22LR round makes your match rifle.....you'll make your insert into a dedicated upper

This. Aside from gumming up the upper receiver interior & lower fire control parts with blowback grime, swaging a few hundred rounds of .22lr through your match barrel leaves a nice coating of soft lead that is a time consuming pain to clean out.

Probably not a bad idea to match the sites that you have on your 3gun rifle for consistency.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!1

:D

Except when you are running a Swaro or a Razor or some other high dollar optic. That costs a ton. I use a old Leupold 1.5-5 and will soon replace it with the new Primary Arms 1-6 when its released.

Pat

I use this M&P 22 at our monthly steel match and it is a lot of fun. Put a good trigger in your rifle and get a Black Dog 50 round drum, and prepare for a lot of smiling!

I'm seriously considering going this route because it looks like a ton of fun. What optic are you running on yours?

This. Aside from gumming up the upper receiver interior & lower fire control parts with blowback grime, swaging a few hundred rounds of .22lr through your match barrel leaves a nice coating of soft lead that is a time consuming pain to clean out.

I use a conversion for my competition AR for practice within 50 to 75 yards. Using copper plated 22 LR, helps with barrel lead fouling, but I still have to deal with all the gunk in the upper and fire control. Where is the grime coming from? The gas tube or directly from within the upper when the bullet case is being extracted? Just wondering if plugging the gas tube would help?

It's a blow back action......it's powder residue. the majority of the 'gunk' is blowing back into your action (the upper, the lower)....some will find it's way into your gas tube. plugging the gas will not help with keeping your action any cleaner....it would help keeping the gas tube clean some what.

Tim

Soft lead bullets, even the copper washed .22s, often scrape off a little across the opening of the gas port. If you pull the gas block after shooting a bunch of RFs through a 5.56 barrel and shine a light down the bore, you can see crud in the gas port looking down into it. It can get bad enough to prevent functioning when you go back to shooting centerfire. I finally just bought a dedicated .22 bolt kit and barrel from Taccom (TRUBL here on the forum) then duplicated the upper receiver and rail of my match gun. I use the same optics, moving the Warne RAMP back and forth. Dials are reset to zero on the big gun, and new zero settings are written down for the .22. If I torque the mount screws it repeats almost perfectly (less than 1MOA shift) and to go back to the match rifle I just run the dials back to the zeros and confirm. I don't adjust the offset red-dot at all moving back and forth as I only use it under 50yds.

Tom

It's just a cheap sightmark holo sight. It has held zero and worked so I haven't had a reason to replace it yet.

Thanks for the info - I'll check it out. My brother has a 15-22 that he's going to trade with me so I'll be looking for a red dot for it soon.

• 2 weeks later...

My advice is to put the next steel challenge on your calendar right now. Just shot my first steel challenge with a rifle, a M&P-15-22. The idea is exactly the same as yours, practice for 3G. It was a ton of fun and a great way to get some high pressure, inexpensive practice with a gun that has all the controls in the same place as my AR. 1 match and I'm hooked. For optics I pulled a MTAC of off an AR. But the steel challenge is so up close I wonder if running a C-More or other red dot would be more practical for this game?