Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel Challenge with AR 22lr Question?

Another up and coming sport is the NSSF Rimfire Challenge (was Ruger Rimfire Challenge).

My son had been shooting a C-more on his rifle......he felt it actually slowed him down (and it did)....last year we switched back to the cheap BSA panoramic sights. Ended up buying 4 of them......sighted them all in, keeping 3 for back up just incase during matches. This year, we are going with the EoTech, the really small one....weighs 8 ounces which is 4 ounce more than the BSA.....but reliability is much better of course. basically, he wants that circle dot so he can anticipate the shot as he swings accross the targets.....works for him....YMMV of course.

Tim

I'll generally agree with Tim's comments...

When I had a "matched" weight and optics AR22, I found myself cheating when I was shooting paper since the recoil was virtually nothing. So I went to steel. That said, a lighter AR22, for me, is better on paper targets. I shot mine out to 300 yards this week and it did really well.

SC is great for practice, but it is prescriptive in that the stages are the same, and people know how to shoot them. That is the appeal of NSSF Rimfire Challenge, the stages change so you don't get sucked into running the prescription.

I run a Burris FF in the ARF3 mount on my .22ARs even though I run a variable on my 3Gun match rifle.

Here's a shot of my .22lr race/practice gun. Nordic Components NC22 upper with 18" SS barrel. Nordic Lower with hiperfire trigger and Ace stock. And a cmore on top.

Before I built this my practice gun was an m&p 22 with a millet DMS-1 on it. Steel shooting is great for low buck rifle practice. The only time I shoot my centerfire rifle in practice is on the long range. I set up static steel targets and shoot them every way I can think of, on the move, different orders etc. Than I move them around or build drills to work specific skills as needed. The key to rimfire is only 1 shot per target. With no recoil shooting 2 is too easy, its about practicing trigger control and transitions.

I like to shoot the same static targets with my rifle, pistol, and shotgun. Its a great way to maximize your practice time. 10 targets, a barrel and a vtac wall and you can do more training in 2 hours than you thought possible. And not break the bank. Static steel gives you instant feed back which in my mind makes it work great for what we do. Especially as a 3 gunner our game is less about shooting an A zone or hitting a bullesye and more about how fast can you hit the targets you are presented. Just like with a piece of steel, anywhere on the target twice is good enough. My big rifles get the majority of their round count in matches with maybe 100 rounds a month going down range in practice.

nordic_zps73ae116b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I shoot centerfire pistol with my G17 and rimfire carbine with my AR in Steel Challenge, its good practice.

I shoot my AR build with a rimfire conversion and two TACCOM pressure plugs installed along with TACCOM extractor and firing pin and I use a 50rnd drum mag.

It runs without a hitch. I found a single plug still allowed too much movement of the conversion and had the occasional malfunction. Its an older CMMG that doesn't lock into the barrel extension.

Because it has a muzzle brake it put me in the open class but who cares. I'm there to have fun and get some good practice in.

Had an SO say, "everything about that set up is wrong for Steel Challenge, Conversion kit in an AR, drum magazine. But it works.

Shoot your AR with a conversion, have fun.

Edited by Willz

I actually shot a match with my carbine last weekend. Had fun and I do think it will help on the 3 gunning, especially transitions. Clutch I like your idea. I may purchase some steel from MGM at the Rockcastle pro am this year and use it.

My club let me use my AR pistol with a conversion in it.

The match director just said " sure you can shoot it in open but you're going to be at a disadvantage , I was turning faster times than I did with my Ruger MKII.

The only comments were "is that really a pistol?"

• 4 weeks later...

I love shooting steels with my M&P 15-22. I finally won a match to boot! My current project is to build an AR to match the .22's weight, rather than swinging that 8-1/2 pound beast I've been using.

Our local steels match usually has a stage or two with movement and sometimes a bonus shot out to 100 yards too.

• 3 weeks later...

My conversion is working almost 100%, but I still get the occasional FTF. Have any of you used the CMMG locking lug collar with your CMMG conversion? Does the conversion chamber adapter stays secure in the barrel extension or will it still need help from something like the TACCOM pressure plug? Just wondering which way to go to keep the chamber adapter firmly in place. I've read in this thread people using two pressure plugs to keep the conversion in place. Still PP ($8) is a lot cheaper than the locking lug collar ($30), but I like the simplicity of the locking lug collar. Any negatives about the CMMG locking collar?

• 1 month later...

FYI for the good of the order, Black Dog mags are on sale for 10.00. I got the last 2 25 rounders, but plenty of 10 and 15's left! Also recommend getting the Taccom sold loader.....an absolute God send. Start stocking up on 22's, this is addictive

FYI for the good of the order, Black Dog mags are on sale for 10.00. I got the last 2 25 rounders, but plenty of 10 and 15's left! Also recommend getting the Taccom sold loader.....an absolute God send. Start stocking up on 22's, this is addictive

I use a Black Dog 50 round drum.

Update - went with the better mag adapter, S&W mags and taccom pressure plug. The conversion is running great and now I can practice mag changes with the BHO functionality of the mag adapter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

I've been using my M&P 15-22 for steels for about a year now. It's really picked up my 3gun game for sure, our club shoots at a cowboy range so there are targets that can be used for bonuses! My goal is to get my 3gun rifle down closer to the weight and handling of the .22.