Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is it time to delcare photo bomb war? - just saying

frankge

Not to be a PIA but have you noticed the trend that EVERYBODY must record EVERY stage of EVERY match with their GoPro while their buddy has their smartphone in the background...even better, "hey, I know your on deck but can you record me?" :sick:

Necessary evil. Match video is critical for me to analyze my performance. I use the video to determine where I'm losing time and find the lowest hanging fruit to start practicing. I think video has accelerated my learning curve. It's one of those things where someone can tell you that you're doing something all day long but until you see it on film you have a hard time getting it fixed. I use the buddy system, I film him, he films me, we don't bother anyone else in the squad. If someone asks you to film and you don't want to I don't see why you can't just politely tell them no. If video is being done right it shouldn't effect anything or anyone, if it's being done wrong the squad needs to put those folks in check.

I think 1st person video is useless so I don't bother with that.

Now I'm not saying mine don't end up on youtube with some Five Finger Death Punch playing in the background, but before they do they take a trip through shot coach and I learn a ton from them!

Also, I don't think the video's with the soundtracks are bad for the sport (or any match video's really). When I was kicking around the idea of getting into competitive shooting several years ago I watched a bunch of them. Ultimately I said "hey that looks too fun not to go try it". Of course we all know there is no such thing as "trying" competitive shooting. Much like a junkies first shot of heroin, you try it once and become completely addicted. I think we should all be thinking about helping to grow the sport, and I do think youtube video's help.

One thing I can't understand is the photographer being "out of commission" for stage pasting.

My personal pet peeve is seeing two people reviewing the video as we paste.

Realistically the camera or Iphone can be placed in the pocket and the photographer can get right to pasting. The camera person is usually right at the end of the stage too. Why not, did the camera numb your hands?

Edited by BSeevers

Realistically the camera or Iphone can be placed in the pocket and the photographer can get right to pasting. The camera person is usually right at the end of the stage too. Why not, did the camera numb your hands?

They must be using one of those high recoil cameras :).

They must be using one of those high recoil cameras :).

Ahh you speak sarcasm. It's a lost art

You don't have a group of friends that you make sure your shuffled around in the shooting order so you can film each other? That's what we used to do. Once we took over a more active role in squad management (SO/RO and ScoreKeeper) haven't taped as much but when we have a good run the 1st comment is "Should have got that on video!"

I know I suck, don't need a video to see why. I shoot for fun and spend time with friends. Pasting, setting targets & scoring I do because other shooters deserve to get their time on the course also!!! I've seen some of the best in the sport drop everything to do the same!!!

Necessary evil. Match video is critical for me to analyze my performance. I use the video to determine where I'm losing time and find the lowest hanging fruit to start practicing. I think video has accelerated my learning curve. It's one of those things where someone can tell you that you're doing something all day long but until you see it on film you have a hard time getting it fixed. I use the buddy system, I film him, he films me, we don't bother anyone else in the squad. If someone asks you to film and you don't want to I don't see why you can't just politely tell them no. If video is being done right it shouldn't effect anything or anyone, if it's being done wrong the squad needs to put those folks in check.

This. Videos have really helped my progress. And honestly why would I care if someone asks me to film them when I'm on deck? I personally like to do favors for people. It doesn't hurt me, it helps them, and it's just good ethics to help out. I'd be more worried I wouldn't do a good enough job for them. I think the "me first" mentality is a shame. If I can help someone in any way I can, I will. After what others have done for me over time, gladly holding an 8oz piece of plastic wouldn't exactly qualify as above and beyond. It's just common decency.

• 2 weeks later...

This. Videos have really helped my progress. And honestly why would I care if someone asks me to film them when I'm on deck? I personally like to do favors for people. It doesn't hurt me, it helps them, and it's just good ethics to help out. I'd be more worried I wouldn't do a good enough job for them. I think the "me first" mentality is a shame. If I can help someone in any way I can, I will. After what others have done for me over time, gladly holding an 8oz piece of plastic wouldn't exactly qualify as above and beyond. It's just common decency.

sorry but being on deck is me first time. On deck should be left alone to get ready for their run

It is beyond spoiled to think that the guy on deck has nothing more on his mind than filming YOU trying to run your best stage. This is a shooters final observation time as well as that one last chance to mentally prep for a stage, that one last minute that it is about him and not YOU! I have seen many shooters who would be just as rude in their response to the interruption as was the one interrupting his on deck time. On deck is ON DECK in most sports for a reason, do not be a slob, go to someone well away from their final prep time.

You should not even talk to the on deck shooter.

I would never think about asking any shooter to film me. I don't mean your buddy that rode with you but asking some random squadmate? No way.

I will say that filming does interfear with my match. Worrying about forgeting to film the shooter, dropping the camera, forgeting to push start, whatever, and yes worrying about not doing my part in stage reset makes filming shooters a no go for me.

Edited by BSeevers

That's why I like the video glasses. Some say the video isn't as helpful as a 3rd person view and that's probably true, but it takes me 2 seconds to start the video and I don't have to ask someone to be my cameraman.

I video each and every stage I shoot. I usually have a buddy record with a flip and I run a contour hd. I haven't asked anybody other than the guys that I rode with to film me in years. If they aren't available, I just run the hat cam. I don't bother anybody and nobody bothers me.

I do find it hilarious that everybody is worried about not disturbing the on deck shooter for filming purposes, but 90% of the matches that I go to, I RO a squad and nobody has any problem with me having to either run the clock or the tablet for the shooter in front of me. It has taken me years to get to the point where I don't screw up royally if I have to run the squad and shoot. I can handle it now, to a point, but I certainly don't perform as well as I would if I had a few shooters in front of me to get my game plan ready.

I love it when people gripe for the sake of griping. I bet you all hate it when I do the flip too don't ya.

I video each and every stage I shoot. I usually have a buddy record with a flip and I run a contour hd. I haven't asked anybody other than the guys that I rode with to film me in years. If they aren't available, I just run the hat cam. I don't bother anybody and nobody bothers me.

I do find it hilarious that everybody is worried about not disturbing the on deck shooter for filming purposes, but 90% of the matches that I go to, I RO a squad and nobody has any problem with me having to either run the clock or the tablet for the shooter in front of me. It has taken me years to get to the point where I don't screw up royally if I have to run the squad and shoot. I can handle it now, to a point, but I certainly don't perform as well as I would if I had a few shooters in front of me to get my game plan ready.

I love it when people gripe for the sake of griping. I bet you all hate it when I do the flip too don't ya.

Regardless of whether it bothers you or not is moot. One of the very first rules of the game is when you are on deck you are on deck. period. nothing else. Around here I think we all got the same training because we will walk up to an RO and say, "you are coming up soon, I'll take over". It's not hilarious or even funny. It's proper range etiquette.

And yes, flip and catch should be outlawed. :goof: