Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hornady LNL Die selection? Powder Cop?

I'm running some Hornady Dies now, including thier taper crimp die. So, right now, I size, flare, drop powder, seat, then taper crimp. Would it be better to combine the seat and taper crimp in one die (hornady has this combo die now, didn't way back when) then incorporate their powder cop die? Or, is it still better to seat and crimp in separate stations?

Another option would be to use the combo seat/TC die then put a lee FCD on the end?

Or... haha

Should I get a powder through expander die set up, and then incorporate a powder cop and a FCD?

What's everyone doing?

I'm loading 45 acp on this press probably 90% of the time right now.

I use the PTX from powderfunnels.com (not the Hornady version) and have been very satisfied with it. I use an RCBS powder-cop in the next station, then a seating die, then a taper crimp die.

I prefer a normal taper crimp die over the Lee FCD.

Kevin

I have mine with the Hornady powder through expander die on stage 2, Powder cop on 3, bullet seat on 4 and Lee FCD on 5. Look at my post about my powder hopper catching on fire. With the powder drop on stage 2 it puts the powder hopper right next to the primer tube shield. If you have all the primers blow up in a chain reaction the blast is aimed right at the powder hopper. I would highly recommend putting some sheet metal between the primer tube shield and the powder drop if you are using it on stage 2.

For the most part I keep my seating and crimping separate as well. Mostly because I was never a fan of the seat and crimp dies (haven't tried the new hornady combos). I use Hornady dies for 9mm, Lee for 45acp, and a mix of dies for .38sp.

This is my setup for loading MG JHP's:

Station 1: U-die & de-prime

Station 2: PTX expand & powder charge

Station 3: RCBS Lock-out die

Station 4: Hornady Bullet feeder die (aquarium tubing bullet feeder above)

Station 5: Hornady seat & crimp die

Works well for me.

This is how my LNL is set up for 230gr Zero.

#1: EGW-U sizing/decaping die

#2: Hornady powder drop with Hornady powder through expander.

#3: RCBS lock out die

#4: Hornady bullet seater

#5: RCBS crimp

I use the EGW-U die because it allows me to use any brass and get very good neck tension so I dont get bullet setback. I seperated the seating and crimping so that I could get exactly the crimp I wanted. I was shooting Bayou 200gr SWC at the time. Now that I shoot Zeros, I will be combinined when I finally go to a bullet feeder.

I have mine setup with the following, but I'm looking to change it up and add the powder through expander, and a Lee FCD in the last station.

Currently:

1. resize/decap

2. powder drop

3. Dillon low powder check

4. flare

5. seat/crimp

Target:

1. resize/decap

2. powder drop / flare

3. Dillon low powder check

4. seat

5. Lee FCD

Had some problems when using a combo tapercrimp seat die when loading flat point Xtreme's for my 45. Die worked fine for RN's but just wouldn't work with the FP's but even a buddy using a different combo die couldn't get them to work either so it was somewhat of a problem with these particular bullets.

But going back to a separate seater and crimper solved the problem.

And in all honesty after looking at loaded rounds I think you get better quality finished rounds from the separate dies

Just my .02 cents

1) Size

2) Expand, flare, and drop powder

3) RCBS Lock-Out die

4) Seat

5) Crimp

Found back in 1972 that seating and crimping in one step was not conducive to accurate loads for me and I have not done so since. I was more than "happy" to increase my loading by the additional step even on a single stage press.

Hornady caliber specific PTXs work great. Dillon measure and cartridge specific "powder funnels" work great. Lee Pro Auto-Disk and cartridge specific PTE dies work great. Any "expander" that is only a case mouth flare tool is only useful with jacketed bullets (and, maybe, plated), but still leaves a very good chance for crooked bullet seating and case bulges at the base of the bullet.

Have a powder cop die and quickly stopped using it. If you concentrate on the bullet seating, you won't look at the die. Thus, Lock-Out or Dillon Powder Check are the only ways to go.

Look IN the case before you place a bullet on the case and inspect the charge.

This is my setup for loading MG JHP's:

Station 1: U-die & de-prime

Station 2: PTX expand & powder charge

Station 3: RCBS Lock-out die

Station 4: Hornady Bullet feeder die (aquarium tubing bullet feeder above)

Station 5: Hornady seat & crimp die

Works well for me.

This is almost my exact set up for 9mm MG's. Except I use the powderfunnels.com PTX and the Hornady Powder Cop in 3. Works well for me too, no problem ever with seat and crimp together in 5.

• 2 weeks later...

I use dillon dies in my lnl.

Station 1: resize and decap

Station 2: flare and drop powder with powder funnels ptx

Station 3: rcbs lockout die

Station 4: seat

Station 5: crimp

I like the lockout die because it physically prevents you from continuing vs only audible and visual warnings.

• 4 months later...

My setup is basically all the same for pistol

1. U-DIE

2. powder with lnl powder funnel expander.

3. Bullet feeder (or empty more recently because my feeder hates moly)

4. Seating die (Prefer hornady)

5. Lee FCD

I visually inspect each case's powder but if I sell my bullet feeder I'll get a lock out die for sure.

I would always suggest separating out seating and crimping into 2 dies. the combo seat and crimp dies are for the poor man presses with only 3 or 4 stations. with a 5 station press you should keep them separate.

I have no problem combining flare and powder drop into one die though and that would give you space to add your powder cop. personally I also just look in the case.

I like the lee FCD. if you want to use that you don't need another crimp die, so no need to add the combined seat/crimp. just run your current seat die in station 4 and the lee FCD in station 5.

some kind of shield between the primers and the powder hopper is not a bad idea. lee also sell an extension to mount the hopper higher which will work with most case activated powder drops. it inludes a drop tube extension which is a good thing too. one thing the lee loadmaster does well is a thin sheetmetal shield in front of the primer tray which protects your face and the powder from any exploding primers.

I run the combo seat/taper crimp Hornady die in 9mm and .40 and they work great on my Lock N Load. Mine is set up:

sizer

prime

powder/expander

powder cop

bullet feeder(if I want)

seat/crimp die

Having a die like the powder cop makes the loading process both safer and faster as you don't have to look down in each case to look if there is powder or too much. When I run the ram up my eye goes right to the powder cop to check powder level. It's a habit now. Jut like pushing forward to prime on the down stroke.

Horndy sizer and seater, Powderfunnels ptx, rcbs lockout die, and lee taper crimp. I don't use the FCD because I do lead. Tried the Hornady powder check and didn't like it. The rcbs lockout stops you if your load is out enough to be a major problem.

Edited by blueeyephil