Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I think I just ruined my M2

RAZZ

So I decided to open up my loading gate a little bit. I've seen pictures...I have a dremel...What could possibly go wrong? Well, a little bit too much 'opening' and the follower is no longer retained.

FML

I have nothing to lose now. Anyone have any suggestions whom I could send it to to fix my mistake? Benny already told me to buy an new M2, so I may be out of luck.

ETA, I called Benelli and they don't sell stripped receivers.

Edited by RAZZ

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same thing happened to a buddy I shoot with. Sold a box with everything else for $400 or so. Apparently, its pretty tough to fix if possible at all.

That would be me. I can empathize, it's a sickening feeling. I ended up selling the whole thing for $500, it was basically a box of parts. Sold it to a buddy who is a welder who thought he might be able to fix it, but hasn't yet.

There is occasionally a guy on gunbroker who sells stripped M2 receivers for about $250. I've seen them, but not when I needed one.

Depending on how bad you screwed it up, having someone fabricate an oversized aluminum or delrin follower may be a temporary fix. Unfortunately, I don't think there is a good long term solution other than replacement. With mine, it would hold shells in and shoot, til you got to the last one . . . then, well you know.

Sorry man, that sucks.

Another receiver on GB. This seller often has several M1/M2 stripped receivers on GunBroker

RAZZ - Check your messages please

Later: On second thought (or maybe I forgot the first time.. :yawn: ) the M1 receiver dimension is a little different and your M2 stock may not fit properly. Stick with the M2 receiver if your replace it (but lets see a few pictures before you go the replacement route)

Edited by GunCat

Thank you all for the encouraging words...Or at least I know I'm not alone.

I'll get some good pictures Monday when I get to work and post them. As one member posted--as long as I don't shoot it empty, I'm good!

Bummer. I too have felt the pain of thinking the Dremel is my friend. The most abrasive thing I use with it now is the soft fuzzy polishing tool. Literally threw away all the other heads away. I highly recommend you consider doing the same. Glad to see there are receivers out there for you.

That HK branded M1 receiver is interesting. Are M1 and M2 receivers identical?

On second thought (or maybe I forgot the first time.. :yawn: .) the M1 receiver dimension is a little different and your M2 stock may not fit properly. Stick with the M2 receiver if you replace it (but lets see a few pictures before you go the replacement route)

Edited by GunCat

Unfortunately no. I don't remember the exact difference, but the rear of the receiver with the recoil spring and how the buttstock fits is different, the trigger group housing is also slightly different. At the time of my disaster I had an M1 as my backup gun, and went to just swapping stocks. The buttstocks would not interchange and the M1 trigger group housing has a rounded rear whereas the M2 is flat.

Edited by davehorn

Here is the latest GB listing : http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=381102143

It did not sell but did not relist - I'd suggest contacting the seller

I've bought a bunch of stuff from these guys on gun broker. Even mailed them cash for a discount. They are good to go. If they dont have an M2 receiver in an auction contact them. They get more Benelli stuff all the time. I'm curious as to where they get all these Benelli parts from. I actually built an entire M1 from parts I bought from them. It ran great too. It ended up being more expensive than just buying a complete gun though. Edited by Jesse Tischauser

Here is the latest GB listing : http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=381102143

It did not sell but did not relist - I'd suggest contacting the seller

I've bought a bunch of stuff from these guys on gun broker. Even mailed them cash for a discount. They are good to go. If they dont have an M2 receiver in an auction contact them. They get more Benelli stuff all the time. I'm curious as to where they get all these Benelli parts from. I actually built an entire M1 from parts I bought from them. It ran great too. It ended up being more expensive than just buying a complete gun though.

Same here????....(and I have bought from them too, always with good results)

Did this to my 930 as well....expensive lesson to learn. I didn't get to the point where it failed to retain shells and the gun still functioned...but when loading it, on occasion the shell would hang up

When it came to my M2...I sent it to a buddy that has a mill and kept it rather conservative

Edited by Onagoth

The h&k has some differences from the true benelli m1 and it will be for the most part useless with the m2, maybe barrel, bolt and shell catch will work... This is from experience btw.

The H&K super 90 and the M1 Benelli are identical. The M1 and M2 are quite different and can not interchange.

As to the orriginal poster's problem, you cqan save it...or I sould say Mark Roth can save it. The guy who makes the X-Rail (Mark Roth) aklso makes a one piece tube for the M2 and at times I know he has made them with a "captured" follower. You would meerly unscrew your factory tube, and follow Mark's directions and screw in his one piece tube and you would be back in business! Give Mark at X-Rail a call and save your gun!!!!