Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Do you shoot the same gun/division everytime or mix it up?

Fordfan485

I dont know if it is ADD or just I havn't found the right gun yet but I find my self constantly switching up what I use for IDPA. I first started with a G20 in SSP for my first match back in March. Was fun but obvious not the most ideal gun to use or the cheapest to shoot when all brass is lost. I then used my Beretta 92FS for a couple matches in SSP and did the classifer. Missed sharpshooter by 0.18 seconds(152.91 (85)) On an impulse buy picked up a 686 SSR for SSR and I shot about 3 matches and a classifier with that (161.63 (99)). Then shot my XD 45 in CDP for one match. Then took about 2 months off due to being out of town every time my local club had a match. In late august I picked up a Sig P228 for SSP since I didnt like the thumb safety on the beretta( my local club was forcing having safetys on until the new rules came out). I shot that for 2 local matches with it , then used the 686 in SSR for a match and then back to the P228 for the shoothouse match at Academi back in October and another local match with it after that. Recently started to pickup the habbit of having right thumb hitting the slide release preventing the slide from locking back when empty. 2 weeks ago I then decided to shoot my glock 36 in CDP since it is my actual carry gun. I was very suprised how well I did with it because the last time I tried it in any time of competition was for a bowlign pin match and did terrible with it. I recently picked up a G21 and decided I would give that a go in CDP for a while.

Anyone else constantly bounce around from gun or division or do most of you shoot one gun in 1 division and stick with it for a while?

I first started in SSP and shot that for awhile and got qualified in it. I am now going to shoot ESP for awhile. I will shoot multiple division in both IDPA and USPSA but I usually shoot 5 matches or so then switch it up. I don't usually change every other match.

I shoot multiple IDPA divisions (SSP/MA and EX in ESP/CDP/SSR) I enjoy 'working the gun' as much as I do the challenge of the match itself. I think that is fun. I normally pick one gun/division and shoot it for a few months, or until I get bored with that gun.

The cure for boredom/lack of motivation is to pick up another gun. I am not a 'Top Shooter' and don't care about shooting any more World or National Championships. I shoot local matches with my friends to have fun, so this approach works for me.

For those who wish to climb to the top, maybe picking one gun (after you find the gun that works best for you in terms of score) and sticking with it is probably the best bet. It's pretty much an individual decision, based upon what your goals are when shooting IDPA/USPSA.

I do stick to one gun in ICORE, but that's because none of my friends shoot that game, so when I go to a ICORE match there isn't that friends/social/fun thing... I just want to win Classic Division. So, that is my motivation to make the 1.5 hour drive to the nearest ICORE match.

It just depends upon what motivates you to get up early and go to the match.

Edited by GOF

If you're having a great time mixing things up, no problem, nothing wrong with that. We have one longtime club member that changes every match and always has a great time and is great company, in terms of proficiency, he hasn't progressed Very few people can progress changing guns every match. His focus is the comraderie. If you are concerned about the competitive side, stick with one gun or one platform. Eliminate the gun variable, and focus on building proficiency in all parts of your game, accuracy, speed, transitions, reloads, footwork, stage planning/programming, mental game. The G21 sounds good, stick with that for awhile in cdp. The proficiency will transfer to your G36. I shoot a G17 for ssp/esp and carry a 26 and this coming year use a 21 for cdp too.

I like shooting different guns. There are times that I'll decide to change guns the night before a (local!) match. My buddy will ask "why'd you bring the .45 today?" My answer...because it sounded fun!

I'm going to be trying out ESR and SSR a lot this next season...can't wait!

Edited by BillR1

beware the man with one gun.

that said, i have a handful and mix it up in different divisions. sure i'd be a little better if i did shoot exclusively with one gun, but guns and shooting are fun and i don't want any of my guns to feel left out.

I like shooting different guns. There are times that I'll decide to change guns the night before a (local!) match. My buddy will ask "why'd you bring the .45 today?" My answer...because it sounded fun!

I'm going to be trying out ESR and SSR a lot this next season...can't wait!

I'm with you on that. part of the fun is learning to shoot new weapon. I will be shooting my 5th division next year. I already have the pistol. just need to concentrate on the big match for now.

Early on, I resolved to shoot one Division, one gun for a year at a time.

I rotated through all 4 (then) Divisions twice on that plan, with only one excursion of about 5 months. That was when I thought I would be in on a company T&E program and wanted practice in the appropriate Division. (Which did not happen.)

I now shoot almost entirely ESP but I have two 9mms and two .45s that suit, so I don't always use the same gun. All 1911 pattern, though.

I shoot 3 different guns in IDPA but they are all SIg classic P series guns so the manual of arms is identical for all of them. I tend to shoot them all in the same division (SSP) even though they are not all ideally suited to SSP. I only shoot local matches and don't much care about how I do relative to any division. I shoot for fun and to improve my own skills under the pressure of the clock. My goal when shooting is to be as accurate as possible and have as penalty free of a match as possible. I compare my scores only to my own previous scores.

All my IDPA guns have a very similar feel to me and they are the same guns I rotate through my carry.

Do what you enjoy. Shooting a single gun / platform (all 1911, all Glock, etc) will help get past gun fumbles that can come from always a differnt gun and allow you to focus more on stage planning and execution, shooting skills, and refinments, not on "how does this thing work, oh yea push here" fumbles.

But again, do what is fun for you.

I have guns for IDPA CDP, ESP, SSP, SSR, and ESR that can also be used in USPSA SSTK, Prod, Lim, Lim 10 and Rev as well as various 3-gun divisions.

Mostly, about 85% of the time I shoot a 9mm 1911 in ESP and 40S&W 1911 in SSTK and sometimes vice versa. For USPSA Lim and 3-gun its an M&P Pro (9mm or 40cal) for about 10% of the time. The rest is some times IDPA ESR or SSR, sometimes USPSA Prod with the M&P Pro 9mm.

When I switch away from the 1911's it feels awkward.

I shoot USPSA and I shoot multiple guns and divisions. I think I have hindered myself by doing so when it pertains to not being classified as high as I would like. In two and a half years of shooting, I have only made it to B Limited and B Open, C Limited 10 and C Production. I think I would be classed higher if I just stuck to one gun, but wouldn't have had near as much fun. My .02

I jump around between CDP with a 1911 and ESP, with again a 1911, but in 9mmP, so at least the platform remains about the same.

Have shot my G34, my actual every day carry gun, in SSP a couple of times just to get some trigger time in. Have fun and been competitive with all 3.

I used to change guns and divisions almost every match but lately I've been shooting open at USPSA matches and playing with the other guns at IDPA matches it lets me have the fun of changing things up and adds a little consistency to my USPSA game. Last IDPA match I shot a G21 I picked up the evening before firing its first shots on the clock :-)

80% of my idpa shooting is with the same glock 34 in ssp. 15% of the time is with various guns in cdp. 5% of the time in esp, normally with my g34 ssp gun.

this will change. now that i match bumped to expert in two divisions i bought a purpose built esp gun and will run that exclusively in idpa for the next 6 months or until i match bump to expert in that class too.

then i will analyze what i want oout of my performance and pick one of the three to make a run at master, by match bump, with.

uspsa will continue to be my g34 in production.