Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fix up Glock 35, or sell and get a 2011?

My advice is don't give up on the Glock quite yet, and invest in some blue hand loading equipment. (I bought a certain red progressive because I knew I could make it work, meh.)

Been talking to a friend about a Dillon Square Deal. $380-$520 will get you reloading one handgun caliber apparently.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Square Deal B (SDB) is a good little press, if you are specific about what you will do with it.

It uses proprietary dies, not the industry standard dies that all the other Dillons (& everything else) use. It is for pistol calibers only. The proprietary dies are fine, they are Dillon, and they do exact what you want them to do.

All the Dillons are progressive presses, which means that every pull of the handle does multiple stages of the reloading process, then the rounds "progress" to the next station ready for the next pull of the handle.

If the rounds progress to the next station automatically, then that is an auto-indexing press (SDB, 650, 1050). Some will manually index...like the 550...which means you have to thumb rotate the advancement of the assembly line (circle) as you place your bullet.

I used to run an SDB. (I graduated up to a 650 in a deal that worked out for me.) I loaded 40 on my SDB. You start with cleaned brass (so you will want a brass tumbler), but you don't have to trim brass or clean primer pockets (if you recall your Father doing all that for rifle rounds). Just feed a clean piece of brass in to the right side station, where it will be re-sized and the old primer will be decapped...it will advance to get a fresh primer (out of a pre-filled primer tube of 100) and measured powder...then it goes on to have you place a bullet placed on by your left hand...the bullet gets seated to the proper depth and the brass gets sized at the mouth (crimp)...the finished round is spit out to the catch bin.

You should be able to do 200-300 pistol rounds in a comfortable reloading session on the SDB.

If you find a deal on a used SDB, you can probably end up selling it for what you have in it if you upgrade down the road. (I did). If you buy a new one (get it off our host, Brian), they hold value pretty well. You can certainly get 75% of your new cost if you sell it used. So, it really doesn't cost quite as much to try it out if you look at it with that in mind.

Edit to add: Brian's Dillon page: http://www.brianenos.com/pages/dillonfaqs.html

Metro

Per your comments, Cost of loading .40 minor. After you have purchased your press ( Recommend a Dillon 550 or 650 ) just my opinion you will load better quality - less trouble with a 650.

That said - then all you need to change calibers is a conversion kit and a set of regular dies (Lee RCBS Redding ). If your careful cost will be about $100. I run a mixed brand die set in a 650.

After you get set - up visit the brian enos re-loading section, A lot of old re-loaders there to help you. Some are the same age as RED CLAY dirt.

Be SAFE,

Happy Holidays,

Perry

ADD ON - Opinion 9MM will not knock down steel poppers and other steel as well as .40 S&W.

Cost and performance is gonna be a trade off always, for your likes and range set-ups which will vary per location and which shooting sport.

Edited by perrysho

I think I've recently came to the realization that my grip kind of sucks as well. Going to hold off on switching anything major until I know it's not my grip that is holding me back. I can't honestly say that at this point. Seems like good stuff in the video below, going to work on that and get into reloading first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrCfHYdyhw0

"More or less I think Glocks have no soul. 1911's are a work of art, they have a history, they're sexy. I pick one up and all the planets align and this old world seems ok for a minute. My grandfather had a HUGE collection of super-nice 1911's back in the day, ...

So yeah, there it is. I simply hesitate to further invest in something that I don't even like all that much, yet I can't quantify my distaste with logic. Logically speaking, I should probably get into reloading and learn to run the Glock. "

I hear ya, but "the work of art" is a body of work , that you create with that pistol, or a rifle on that day.

Make peace with the iron, and create an opera that has timing which noone else might have on that day, but all can recognize it when they see and hear it. This takes money on the range, time on the range, and personal work. Keep the G35 AND grab a 2011. Shooters has a beautiful tactical 2011 in .40 on GB right now... :devil:

Edited by enroute

I totally understand your ideas on the pros and cons of both guns and feel very much the same way myself.

I would definitely get the gun that is going to make you happy.

I have always been a 1911 shooter but got out of pistols in 2002 when we had some major reforms and all my guns were "bought back".

I ended up picking up an old G17 and used it at first when I started ipsc. While it does the job, it does not fill me with confidence accuracy wise, nor does it make my heart flutter when I pull it out of the safe.

While my budget will not allow an S_I, I did pick up a CZ shadow and I love it. I would recommend looking at one if you like the 1911 layout and grip angle. The real plus is that they are very good value and very easy to sell used if you decide it's not for you. Most people who go CZ end up with more than 1. Just an alternative suggestion.

With regard to reloading, I think it's non-optional. Any dillon will do. My top pick would be a 650 but I only own a square deal. I bought it 20 years ago and could sell it used now for more than I paid for it. Can't lose with a dillon.

I originally got my Glock 35 to get in to action shooting "cheap" I did NOT like the Glock at all-primarily because of the trigger. I learned pistol on a custom .45 Grandpa had, and after that, the Glock felt cheap, and clunky. However, a friend recomended an aftermarket trigger, and I added a set of Dawson precision sights. Hey, this Glock suddenly ain't so bad! Added a magwell and what really seemed to help me out was installing dual stage spring. What really sold me on the Glock was one fine day the wind was blowing sand and dust like crazy, and the Glock kept running, when a lot of others dropped out. Also, since I shoot .40 Major, I noticed a lot of the sticky club steel hinged targets will drop a lot quicker with the .40 vs a 9mm. Basically for about $800 bucks, I got a pretty nice limited gun. I'll never shoot like Frank Garcia with it, but I couldn't do that with a $5000 dollar race gun, either.

• 1 month later...

I'm a Glock guy

I would go the 2011 route.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."

Glock's and Smith's will do everything you'll ever need for 3-Gun but once anyone has it in their head that somethings else is better...it is.

I'll just say that even though the Glock mods turned out real nice and were done in a most excellent way and this is about as good as you can ever hope for in a Glock, it still feels pretty dinky compared to the 2011, which turned out to be way nicer than I had imagined. I'm still going to be going with the Glock for now though. I just ran across a deal on an STI that I couldn't turn down so I got both.

post-49714-0-32011100-1392228150_thumb.j

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Invest in reloading. The payback is on going. You can tailor any round/load to suit your needs. I spent the better part of my first year (2013) in USPSA shooting factory ammo through a Glock. I had never reloaded in my life. A buddy gave me 50 rounds of ammo he runs in his Glock for Production class. It was incredible the difference the ammo made. I immediately hopped on the Dillon site and placed an order. Fast forward 2 months later. I have been practicing with my home loaded ammo using my buddy's recipe. I have shot one match with it and placed 39th overall out of 80 shooters. Not bad for a new "D" shooter shooting Limited. The field had one GM and 8-9 M's all shooting open.

I am not familiar with the 3-gun rules as far as mods go. If you can a magwell is a cheap and easy mad that will make a difference. If you can change triggers look at a Zev fulcrum drop in trigger. The cost of some basic mods and basic reloading equipment won't be much different than a 2011. If you go 2011 you will still need to reload.

• 1 month later...

I'm a Glock guy

I would go the 2011 route.

"I have two guns, one for each of ya."

Glock's and Smith's will do everything you'll ever need for 3-Gun but once anyone has it in their head that somethings else is better...it is.

I'll just say that even though the Glock mods turned out real nice and were done in a most excellent way and this is about as good as you can ever hope for in a Glock, it still feels pretty dinky compared to the 2011, which turned out to be way nicer than I had imagined. I'm still going to be going with the Glock for now though. I just ran across a deal on an STI that I couldn't turn down so I got both.

Nice set you got there.

If you want reliability stick with the Glock. Some of really great 3 gunners use Glocks and it doesn't seem to slow them down at all. 2011's are great and I will be getting one soon but because a lot of stuff is modified to fit by a gunsmith you are really putting your faith in them to build you a gun that will run properly. For the most part all 2011 builders use quality parts. It comes down to who puts them together. I am fairly new to action shooting but I haven't shot one match too date where I didn't see someone having problems with there 2011's.

There is nothing wrong with a 2011's reliability as compared to a Glock. The difference is that Golcks are a lot more tolerant of not being maintained well and they will still function ...rarely do I see the good shooters at my matches have issues with their 2011s becuase they maintain them properly ...

That being said, trying to compare a polymer frame gun to a 2011 frame gun is just silly .... They are really very different platforms ... A good shooter can pick up a G34 or and STI Edge and shoot it well, the gun doesn't make that much difference to them.

trying to compare a polymer frame gun to a 2011 frame gun is just silly

It's silly once you are familiar with both. What I ran in to is not knowing a single local person within a 3 hour drive that would be cool with me shooting their stuff. I couldn't even find a single STI in a gun shop, anywhere, within probably 5 hours. This Eagle I got was literally only the second 2011 I had ever even laid eyes on, the other being an expensive custom rig that I held for about 5 seconds. Nobody around here has any Glock modifications either, had only seen a couple of very mild builds at matches. I really had no clue how either would feel or shoot. I would have done some things differently knowing what I do now, but without some exposure it's aggravating when everybody else has their own idea of how things ought to be.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• 4 weeks later...

Started Limited with a G35 after shooting Production on a G34. Loved the gun and shot it for a few years resisting the "2011" snobbery - I would love beating guys with more expensive guns, and slink away when I didn't. I ran into a great deal on a Brazos 2011 and yes, admittedly, there is a big difference. Had to get used to the safety and grip, being a lefty threw in another learning curve as these guns are really made for righties. Will it make you a better shooter - no. Will it give you the opportunity to leverage better equipment - yes.

Picked up and held a S&W Core.... Sold my G34 and started an open major 9 build on the. Core...... Shot the games a long time with various 1911's , this will be my game toy, I also had tried running a xd, but still lovin this more natural grip angle on the M&P.

But still my EDC's are 1911's

• 1 month later...

If it were me and I already had the 35, I would do the upgrades. If you didn't already have the gun, I would get a 2011. I bought a 34, tricked it out with about $500 worth of stuff and now I wish I had just bought an STI or something similar. I will say I really like my 34 though

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't shot a 2011, but have picked one up felt good. The trigger the guy had on his STI Edge was like butter. Sure you need to fine tune a 2011. And you can make a Glock 35's trigger better with an aftermarket trigger, but it wont be no way near a 2011's trigger. Planning on getting an STI as soon as I can come up with the 2400 needed to purchase one.

Been trying to sell my G35 for about 2 months with no one having interest in her, so instead, I plan to keep shooting her and get better in Limited 10.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

One other option might be to try to trade your G35 for a G34. You might have luck with someone that might be shooting USPSA or something and needs something that makes major PF and would prefer the G35. That way you would be out little to no money and have a 9mm platform with less recoil and cheaper ammo, especially if you're not reloading. I'm just starting 3-Gun and using a G34 now and love it, but I'm getting the 2011 itch myself. As said if you have the money, the 2011 would be awesome. The price of the gun is one thing, but then you have to consider probably having to buy another 3-4 mags, which in a 2011 seem to be at least double the price of Glock mags. This could add another $250 + to your costs, plus holster, mag holders, etc...

• 2 weeks later...

converting to 9mm requires a conversion barrel, about $100 and some small Glock parts (extactor, ejector) and some Glock mags... All cheap parts and NOWHERE near the cost of a bone stock 2011. 2011 magazines are $60 a piece! You can get 2 or 3 Glock 9mm mags for that! A full sight set for the Glock (F/O front, some sort of rear) is like $80. Since you own the G35 already ... you can't compare $300 to $2000.

One thing about a completely stock Glock is that it is amazingly reliable. If you run a space gun and get one or two malfunctions, you will really really appreciate that simple Glock attribute. But I'm not a 3 gun guy.

My humble suggestion is to stick wtih it for a while and see if it grows on you with the 9mm conversion.

I am in the middle of this flight path. I shot a g34 for the past year in production. I recently made the move to limited and love it. With that move I acquired a g35 as all of my gear fits it already. I also have a passion for reloading. In that year I have reloaded about 7k 9mm roads and the reloaded has about paid for itself.

To sum this rambling up I have found the glock a great learning tool as I can not outshoot it yet and know when the time comes I am going to get most of my investment back out of it. When that happens I might turn that investment into one of those pretty space guns.

Sent using a Jedi mind trick.

I have some nice guns that easily out shoot my Glock 34, however, I decided to focus on shooting it as the only gun in USPSA this year. I enjoy it's reliability (it's stock except for sights and barrel ... for lead) and I can focus on other game elements. If I can get good with the 34, then I know I can do even better with the SP-01. I can track my own progress a bit better with the 34 as well because I sort of suck, but as I get better, I know it's me and not because I switched to my fancy shmancy federal-primers-only SP-01 or whatever.